Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 11:28 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice pick up, the interior looks great. not a bad price either with minor problems and a few mods
Old 09-29-10, 07:28 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks again all

Started working on her last night. Got some burnt out bulbs replaced. Got the climate control unit out and the old broken LCD screen out. Will solder in the new one after work today and hope it works. Then will start the removal of the ghetto bass. I'll basically be ripping out the subs, cap, the component amp, and the deck. Selling those, getting a nicer double DIN deck, probably keep the sub amp in place and just throw my single 10" in there from my old car. I like just some added clean bass, don't need ghetto thump!
Old 09-29-10, 12:59 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like you found yourself one clean SC brother. 158K in that condition is gem. Very clean in and out.

I assume that you plan on going NA-T. 650-700 is reachable with that turbo. I personally wouldn't use the AEM. I'm getting ready to do a 2JZ-GTE E85 setup on my car. I'm picking up a B/W S366 and running ProEfi. Pricing is cheaper than running the AEM which I have always found to be garbage. That's just my opinion though. At 158K I would think about refreshing the motor a bit. That much power is bound to eat the motor on stock compression. Not saying it can't be done. But it won't last long. But congrats on the car. I'm looking forward to the build. Love your DSM also. Makes me remember my DSM days.
Old 09-29-10, 02:02 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Yup NA-T. The previous owner said he actually had the motor reworked by a shop not too long ago. Not sure exactly what all was done, but he said it was starting to smoke a little so he had it freshened up not too long ago. So it should be in decent shape. I will have to do a compression test one of these days on her to see how that turns out. No idea what's normal on these motors at this compression however. My Talon was 165 across the board, but I'm assuming this should read slightly higher since it's higher compression, and stock cams.

But yes I fully plan on running this motor in stock form, with the stock 10:1 compression, but with the simple addition of L19 headstuds. The simple fact that I'll be running an alochol enriched fuel (E85), and a standalone giving me the ability to retard timing to a safe level, I only see the 10:1 compression ratio as a good thing, and no reason it can't be safely done, and last at my power levels.

Thanks for the feedback however, and good luck with the BW setup, that sucker should put out some mean hp numbers!
Old 10-04-10, 07:14 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Well thought I'd update this with some recent workings.

First, me and some buddies had to come up with a real name for this new hoopty. The funniest thing I think we came up with was Green Bean. It's green, and kinda roundy shaped like a bean, so it fits! So I dub thee...

Project Green Bean (or also 'Teh Bean)

So, on to what I've done. The turbo is officially on order. I spent a long time researching, and speaking to many (what I'd consider) experts before choosing. In the end I chose a Borg Warner 84-75 (84 being the compressor exducer, and 75 being the turbine inducer) in a .91AR Divided T4 housing. Without getting into a ton of details, I spent a good 3 weeks researching turbo choices before finally deciding on this setup. In a nutshell, it's 61.4mm capable of flowing 72lb/min, and spooling quite quickly. I felt this matches my goal of being able to make some decent power, while maintaining as good of spool as possible to keep as wide of a power band as possible. If you care to learn anymore on this specific turbo, there are huge threads on Supraforums and EvoM with lots of good input from Geoff at Full Race.

I've been researching EMS systems, and at this point am 99% set on getting the Megasquirt from Shaodome on here. Just waiting on a couple more answers from him before it's a done deal. Right now I'm contemplating installing that before I boost, just to help as it may be easier to get it running well on a stock car that's already in pretty much perfect running condition.

Late last week removed the Climate Control unit, cracked it open, and removed and soldered in new backlight bulbs (6 total) and the LCD screen as those were known issues before I got the car. Everything went pretty smooth and is working good as new Pics of the process, and a final pic of it working! I also have tons of pics from when I did it. Could make a write up if that's something that might be of interest to others. I found a write-up on doing it on a different Lexus, and this one is slightly different. So anyhow, if anyone thinks it'd be helpful, I could do a quick write-up.
Out with the old:

In with the new:

Today I started removal of the ghetto bass. This is actually proving to be a little bit of a mess. This car apparently came with some stock Amps and possible a CD changer. So when this guy installed his new setup, he had to do all sorts of wiring and splicing, and it's a friggin mess. But all the old stuff is out, and trying to sell it. I haven't chosen one yet, but will be purchasing a new new Double DIN CD/DVD/Nav unit, and probably just run one of my old amps and single 10" sub from the Talon for the time being. I'll probably just run some new speaker wiring so the component speakers will just be powered straight from the headunit from now on. I'm a "Keep It Simple Stupid" kinda guy, so I don't are for any fancy factory amp crap. Some pics of everything torn apart, as it sits today

The following users liked this post:
Noisy (08-04-19)
Old 10-04-10, 08:00 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your getting down to biz good luck the green bean looks like its coming along nicely
Old 10-04-10, 10:26 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking really good man! I love the whole clean setup.
Old 10-04-10, 10:30 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

awesome i'll be following this thread. what kind of numbers are u aiming for?
Old 10-05-10, 10:07 PM
Exthultu
Pole Position

HAHA...green bean.lol
Old 10-05-10, 10:48 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car for a good price, welcome to the club
Old 10-06-10, 01:39 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

clean and great price. GL on the build
Old 10-06-10, 05:11 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Waxed it today. I'm not a pro waxer or photographer by any means. Maybe someday I'll pay for someone better than me to do some good exterior detailing. But anyhow, here's some post-wax pics. Nothing too exciting, ha. Also a pic of some of the clear coat issues the front bumper has. Once performance stuff is closer to completion, then I may focus more on the body.

Anyhow, here's some pics. I'll update as I get more done over time

http://mitsustyle.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10840&d=1286409876[/img]

The following users liked this post:
Noisy (08-04-19)
Old 10-06-10, 07:08 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Well I sold my cams off my old Talon today, so that paid for a nice new China-bay GPS head unit Half the people say these chinese things are good, half say they suck. I haven't seen anyone yet with this one in particular. So I'll just be a guinea pig and give it a shot. And if it works or sucks, I guess I'll find out. I'll post up a review at sometime so others can know. If it ends up being good, well then sweet!! And I'll get another one for my Envoy DD If it sucks, I'll sell it on CL and cut my loses, and curse myself for not just buying a Pioneer to begin with, haha.

What I like, is it's got GPS, DVD, and Bluetooth capabilities. I also like that it has an Aux In and a USB, both located on the FRONT. I Was having a hard time finding that on Pioneer, Kenwood, etc type units that cost under $500. One other thing I wanted was a Volume ****. There were some cheaper china ones, but they had tiny little buttons which i didn't like. I like to be able to adjust volume quickly with a ****. And lastly I wanted double-din so that was also important to me.

Here's the link to what I got if anyone cares to check it out and tear me a new a-hole for buying china junk But trust you me, it's the first of many Chinese parts that will end up on the bean. Chinese turbo kit will be purchased sooner or later, haha!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 10-11-10, 07:24 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Well got just a little bit done this weekend. Got all the wiring ran for all 4 speakers. Did some work trying to clean up the wiring behind the radio area a little too as it was a mess with cut wires everywhere. So I cleaned it up so it looks 100x better back there. Still going to clean it up some more once I get the new stereo deck.

Connected Bass-Blockers to the front speakers. Ordered the Double DIN mounting kit for these cars off Amazon which should be here in a few days.

Temporarily wired in the old CD-Deck from my Talon just to make sure everything worked and it did! I definately need to get a sub back there though. Currently trying to decide what exactly I want to do as far as that goes.

Anyhow, that's about it. got most the interior back together but still have a little bit left to do yet. Nothing too exciting I guess.
Old 10-11-10, 07:30 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kwg
awesome i'll be following this thread. what kind of numbers are u aiming for?
Initially I don't want to go nuts. I'll be doing a baseline run as it sits now here expecting it'll be something around 160ish, just for reference. Then will be aiming for around 350or so initially once it's boosted running lowest boost possible. I plan to drive it around like that for a little while to get used to the feel of this car after it's boosted. Then once I feel comfortable with the car, then we'll up the boost into the 30's and my end goal is to hit 650hp. But like with my talon, my goal is not only a hp number, but also a nice long power band. I don't want 900hp, where I only have usable power for 1500rpm. I want decent power, that's usable by having as broad of a powerband as possible. My Talon made 628, and had a power band from about 5200 - 8500rpm which was excellent! So I'm hoping for similar results with this, but just move that power band a little lower.

Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)