CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good.
Old 05-27-11, 12:45 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Nothin but the best for the Ol' Beanie lol.

Old 06-01-11, 07:41 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Got a little bit done today. Got the interior back buttoned up from the tranny removal/install.

Also made a little bracket to hold the oil dipstick steady since I removed the massive oem bracket that originally held it. Used some of that spare metal strapping stuff again, I'm starting to like this stuff!

Also I went to TNT and picked up a 6' length of -10AN SS Braided hose for the drain. fits over the 5/8" barbed fittings perfectly.

Thanks to Andrew, he gave me this chunk of 2.5" stainless to use on my exhaust. I still need some more bends if anyone has any laying around hit me up!!

Here is how she sits currently. I found that the turbo flange on the exhaust mani is not flat at all. Not sure exactly how to fix that, but I plan on just taking it to work and pressing it against the belt sander for a few minutes. And hopefully the gasket seals it up the rest of the way.

Other than that, I'm pretty much getting to the point where piping (IC and exhaust) is all that's left. Getting close, woohoo
Old 06-02-11, 07:29 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I must say, this is a pretty cool thread!
Old 06-05-11, 11:21 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Got everything together as much as needed just to start the car up and check for leaks or anything since I had it apart. Started right up! Don't see any leaks so far so that's good!! Just gotta start putting the turbo back on, and all the piping!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWSfinCLMas
Old 06-05-11, 03:59 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Installed the 4-Runner distributor. Only 2 of the 3 holes line up, wondering if that's normal???

Took the manifold to a sanding belt. Got the T4 flange a bit flatter. Brought it home and threw it on. Installed the turbo hot side. This should ensure the bolts don't loosen up

Put the rest of the turbo on. The return is a tight fit. The turbo will have to be clocked slightly which you'll notice. Otherwise everything is going fairly smoothly

Started w/ Turbo on No comp cover as it's out for welding. Turbo spinz!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLgYXYTJLMM
Old 06-05-11, 05:03 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could you make the write up on the climate control repair... i was going to send it out to repair but if i could do it myself mine as well pocket my pennies...

also where the did you get the locking bolts for the turbo to the manifold i just went to check on mine and 2 are missing i dont know hoe long it's been like that...smh

Last edited by BAD954BOI; 06-05-11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-05-11, 05:19 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Turbo bolts backing out are a problem on all sorts of cars, which is why I always safety wire them now.

All I did was get some regular old socket head allen bolts. Used a #50 drill bit and drill holes all the way through the heads of them. Then just safety wired them. Not fancy bolts or anything.
Old 06-07-11, 08:05 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Little bit of progress. So the exhaust plan is 3" downpipe going to dual 2.5" in the rear. Got the downpipe tacked up with the Marmon Flange that mates to this turbo. Fits like a champ!

Grabbed a section of the Talon's old exhaust to start cutting it up to make the rest of the 3" portion. Grabbed a 3" flange and gasket from MAP, thanks again guys!

Here's the only piece I managed to get done tonight, but I'm glad I got it done because I suck at fabbing and I thought getting this angle just right was going to be a biatch. Took me a couple cuts and test fits to get the angle just right.
Gettin that angle juuuuust right

Done, just need to get it welded up!

And found an old 2.5" SS Upper IC pipe from the talon that had SS bends. So I cut those off and those are added to the pile of 2.5" random SS bends to use for the 2.5" portions. They're still powdercoated, maybe I'll leave em and see how long until it burns off

Huge thanks to Momin (Speedfreak) for taking the time to weld this up for me, and Aaron for lending the equipment!
Old 06-08-11, 02:32 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice exhaust work, looks real good
Old 06-08-11, 05:51 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

I am curious to see how it sounds with dual 2.5 inch mufflers. I am thinking about getting those Megan racing/eBay 2.5 inch axle back exhaust mufflers they got on there.

Can't wait to see a video of the exhaust sound.

Are you running a screamer pipe or recirc?
Old 06-08-11, 10:39 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

For now, I will probably just dump the WG as it's quick and easy. But I will eventually recirc it, because external dumps annoy me.

Also, I was considering getting those ebay axle backs. But what I could never find was if they are straight through mufflers, or baffled at all. I couldn't find any pictures of the inside, or anyone claiming they were straight through or baffled. So I didn't want to take the chance, which is why I bought the ones I did because they were straight through, well and they were cheap
Old 06-09-11, 08:44 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Halon
For now, I will probably just dump the WG as it's quick and easy. But I will eventually recirc it, because external dumps annoy me.

Also, I was considering getting those ebay axle backs. But what I could never find was if they are straight through mufflers, or baffled at all. I couldn't find any pictures of the inside, or anyone claiming they were straight through or baffled. So I didn't want to take the chance, which is why I bought the ones I did because they were straight through, well and they were cheap
Werd! im doing the same thing. i have a similar downpipe like u have. had to have it modified to fit my turbo mani setup since mine is parallel. not angled away like most T4 manifolds.

after i start it up. i'll get it recirc'd too.
Old 06-15-11, 08:59 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Got some more of the exhaust done. Pretty much the entire 3" section is done though. I still have a 3" resonator I may put on yet, but not sure if I'll put it on yet...

Used the old flex section from my Talon exhaust. Had it so figured might as well use it.

Momin workin his mad TIG skillz Thanks a million again, especially for dealing with my crappy fabbing and doing your best to make it all work! And also thanks again to Aaron for the equipment!

More IC piping mocked up.

Last edited by Halon; 06-15-11 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-16-11, 05:50 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

definitely gotta get a GTE intake mani! would save u a few feet in intercooler pipe

Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)