Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

project:Soarer

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 06:31 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and finally I have a question can the adjustable bolts in the engine mount/front be used on the back(the black x-member)??

obviously I will be missing an adjustable bolt, but I have a few spare front ones. the rears look SLIGHTLY thicker.

think I can get by with the one on the left?
Old 02-14-15, 06:32 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so after 2 and a half + years of use, think it's time to replace my rotors??

Old 02-14-15, 07:36 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

What's going on budddy ? Long time no hear !

If they are not warped and width is good... I doubt you need to replace rotors.

Neither will I use the bolts cause length are not same... probably not enough thread to secure nut...
Old 02-14-15, 08:49 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

hey there gerrb! well the one on the right is the proper bolt. the other proper bolt has to get torch cut out because it's seized in the arm(see pic #463). so do you have a spare bolt that goes into the black crossmember laying around?

Last edited by gerrb; 02-14-15 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-14-15, 09:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by megamax
hey there gerrb! well the one on the right is the proper bolt. the other proper bolt has to get torch cut out because it's seized in the arm(see pic #463). so do you have a spare bolt that goes into the black crossmember laying around?
Got you...unfortunately I never took out any of the suspension parts from the cars I used for parts so I don't have any, sorry .
Old 02-14-15, 12:49 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-15, 03:19 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

well a lot had happened since my last update. so let's recap!!!

so I got the wrong upper control arms(they were for a mk3). but I later sourced the right ones, and stuffed the uppers with urethane.

I then managed to pick up a sway bar, end links, tie rod ends and boots.

I then had to proceed to sell my body to come up with the coin for some new lower arms.

yes I got them ad a hook up (so 5 and change). and NO I couldn't find it in my heart to burn the rubbers out and stick the urethane in these. so they are running the oem rubber.
Old 04-14-15, 03:25 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so finally I was able to install all the parts and get the car moving again. I DO have a rear main leak but since this is my daily now I have to come back to that later on.

here's the pics of my all new front suspension!!

Old 04-14-15, 03:41 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so pressed for time(I always am) I did some other things in prep of my nyc road trip, like
-extending my dump pipe(my first weld actually)

- switching out my waste gate for a bigger spring.

-re upholstering my armrest(****ty job but my elbow thanks me).
and doing a fuel pump relay so the pump doesn't rely on the car harness for power(straight to the battery)

then LATER ON. I finally did the resistor jump and I finally had a tach. this triggered my air bag light, which I swiftly covered that and that damn flashing traction control lights with electrical tape!!

Old 04-14-15, 05:21 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so I finally took time to tackle this damn transmission mount issue. this was my latest rendition of the stock 300/400 modded one.

so I wasn't feeling this fitment. and I was also trying to stop the squeal that sounded like it came from the driveshaft when I always start out in first or a low gear shift.(so ****ing annoying).

I found out I can fab up/use a earlier "82-86" celica 5 speed tranny mount. well I couldn't find a 5 speed mount. but I did find an auto mount which at first looked identical to the manual one.

so I cut both sides and tried to graft them back together with some additional welding metal, this isn't to look pretty and this is only my 2nd ever welding experience so...

and finished product. yes I know it looks like ****. but guess what??? the welds hold and I put a lot of metal on this to make it sturdy. I do plan to make a leaner one soon. just needed this in the mean time. and still the noise is there.

Old 04-14-15, 05:26 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

that's what ill do in a few weeks
Old 04-14-15, 06:00 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

but here is the driveshaft noise!!

Old 04-14-15, 06:30 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so I got to nyc and everything was fine EXCEPT. on my way back, all of sudden my rear tires went to mush(mind you I did get an alignment after doing my front suspension).

RIGHT-

LEFT-

and it was that accursed toe. my alignment guy said he did his best with my rear toe. but the components were worn(20 years plus right)?

so a quick order for some new tires and these bad boys were placed.

sad day because I couldn't get a rear sway bar this round.
Old 04-14-15, 06:40 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk what yours is making. but mine was making a loud metal on metal sound. I didn't fully put back my interior after I finished my r154 swap so I was able to lift up the shift boot that bolts to the trans tunnel and heard the driveshaft making a bunch of noise. I took off the driveshaft, removed the dust cover from the driveshaft, put it together and now its running and sounds so much better. no noise at all.
who knows, that might be what yours is making. double check all you flywheel bolts, (I know the trans is bolted up and you don't want to take it down again but its always good to know.) double check pressure plate bolts, driveshaft bolts between the two pieces, driveshaft carrier bearing bolts, (hope you got a new one if you did do a auto to manual swap,) rubber coupling bolts. best way but scariest way to hear this better is lift up the rear end and have someone sit inside, put it in gear and let it do its thing. the noise should still be there.
Old 04-14-15, 06:43 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

well the first and only fitment issue I ran into with these is the traction bar holes were not big enough. they required some enlarging.

so we get to some more adjustable bolts that were seized in place. luckily I was crafty enough to fix this issue, I brought a new tool-mate.

with this I quickly made mince-meat out of these old hags!!

just say no to rusted/seized adjuster bolts!!!

so I didn't need any of the old bolts as the adjustment is in the arm themselves(as they should be). ao went and brought some new hardened bolts/washers.

so all was well in the "toe" kingdom of suspension. then off to the alignments rack(2nd time in a month).

here are the numbers I came up with. apparently my front caster is off(says my front right is further than my front left(scratches head).

still won't ride perfect like my Nissan, wtf gives!!!! heres a comparison by the same tech.

but fear not!!! I finally located/ordered some front camber plates(go me).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151646744414?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quick Reply: project:Soarer