Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 09:39 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tougelabs
anyone have a link for Chumos build ? search still doesn't work for me !
Hey buddy,
If you're looking for me, please PM me.
Old 06-04-11, 09:51 AM
tj4306
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how did you re-route you're audio antenna to the roof?
Old 06-04-11, 05:28 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to read that everything is buttoned up on this monster. I would like to see a professional grade photoshoot with those new bigger rims bolted on as soon as possible! Is the tuning done?
Old 06-04-11, 11:38 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tj4306
how did you re-route you're audio antenna to the roof?
Reroute the harness into the cabin and up the rear pillar. You will need to remove part of the rear interior as well as remove the headliner.

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Good to read that everything is buttoned up on this monster. I would like to see a professional grade photoshoot with those new bigger rims bolted on as soon as possible! Is the tuning done?
Thanks Zach. The street tune is done, but the dyno tune is on hold until I sort out 2 items...the car is overheating a bit...not when idling, but when driving down the interstate or highway. Since I buttoned it up, I immediately developed an airflow problem. With all of the turbo plumbing in the engine bay now, as well as the two turbos, it gets hotter in there. Even with stainless tubing ceramic coated and wrapped, it is still very warm. I also added 2 larger 14" fans.

What I noticed is that when one of the the "professionals" fabricated my plumbing, the cooling system was damaged...side air ducting panels, to be precise. Plus, none of the underbody panels were reinstalled. This is important to the SC400 as the long slope of the nose and the overhang does not lend to a large front air grill...so Lexus engineered the 4 underbody panels plus the plastic "half pipe" that fits in the nose to direct and flow air into, through and out of the engine compartment and the radiator. On the stock setup, this does not seem to be a big issue, but with dual turbos, this becomes critical...I had to fabricate a few items to make them fit properly. I would be able to test it all tomorrow. I will keep you all updated, and I will post up pics.

I need to complete the transmission tune as well.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 06-04-11 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-05-11, 09:15 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Success!!!

Well guys,

I finished up everything today...
I completed fabbing up all the parts that I needed to modify...I measured, dremeled and fit the side panels in place, I mounted up the underside panels and added 2 more spacers so that the louvered front underside panel would clear the whole length of the intercooler.

I barely had time to test drive my car (headlights are still not connected up), but I got the car up to temp, and it only once hit 50%. It never went above that, and it only got near it once while pushing the car a bit.... I am cautiously optimistic that I have resolved the issue by simply bringing my car back to OEM form regarding the underside body panels. What a significant difference. I will test the car more thoroughly tomorrow, and if all is well, I will work on tHe transmission set up and tune, and I will reschedule the dyno tune for a date real soon...

Lesson to all...tough to beat the stock, OEM engineering, and keep it intact whenever possible for most systems in the car...

Ryan
Old 06-06-11, 06:34 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Overheating/Overheating

It is amazing how critical the stock set up is to ensuring proper cooling of the drivetrain of the SC...Especially the SC400. When I first started examining this issue, I looked closely at every aspect that Lexus had engineered...and removing the stock fan and radiator would mean that anything I modded would require me to pay close attention to the efficiency of those mods...I did not do so enough, I thought I had, but I had not. So overheating become an issue as soon as I placed the bumper cover on my car. The nose of the SC is not very conducive to proper airflow...Look at most cars, and you will notice 2 distinct similarities almost immediately...They all have a lower air dam section to vent air into the radiator, plus in most cases, they have a large grill that covers an area very close to the overall size of the upper half of the radiator compartment. These 2 components ensure proper air flow to the cooling system of the vehicles.

The SC does not have an upper grill, so directing sufficient volume of air into the cooling system is critical by other means...That is why the underbody panels are crucial to proper functioning of the cooling system. This becomes even more essential with the addition of
turbos into the front of the engine bay...the additional plumbing, removal of OEM heat shields, lack of room, etc, add to the need for sufficient air flow. Turbos add a whole lot of heat...even when ceramic coated and wrapped...be sure your (2) plastic side underbody panels are completely intact, and that they are installed and custom fitted around the
additional intercooler plumbing. Be sure the louvered and flat tray underside panels are installed and attached properly too as they all work together to create a very effective air compartment that not only catches the necessary volume of air needed to cool the system, but also to force and direct the air to flow through the engine compartment and out so that there is no heatsoak.

Use your underbody panels guys and gals...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 06-06-11 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-06-11, 09:27 AM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
It is amazing how critical the stock set up is to ensuring proper cooling of the drivetrain of the SC...Especially the SC400. When I first started examining this issue, I looked closely at every aspect that Lexus had engineered...and removing the stock fan and radiator would mean that anything I modded would require me to pay close attention to the efficiency of those mods...I did not do so enough, I thought I had, but I had not. So overheating become an issue as soon as I placed the bumper cover on my car. The nose of the SC is not very conducive to proper airflow...Look at most cars, and you will notice 2 distinct similarities almost immediately...They all have a lower air dam section to vent air into the radiator, plus in most cases, they have a large grill that covers an area very close to the overall size of the upper half of the radiator compartment. These 2 components ensure proper air flow to the cooling system of the vehicles.

The SC does not have an upper grill, so directing sufficient volume of air into the cooling system is critical by other means...That is why the underbody panels are crucial to proper functioning of the cooling system. This becomes even more essential with the addition of
turbos into the front of the engine bay...the additional plumbing, removal of OEM heat shields, lack of room, etc, add to the need for sufficient air flow. Turbos add a whole lot of heat...even when ceramic coated and wrapped...be sure your (2) plastic side underbody panels are completely intact, and that they are installed and custom fitted around the
additional intercooler plumbing. Be sure the louvered and flat tray underside panels are installed and attached properly too as they all work together to create a very effective air compartment that not only catches the necessary volume of air needed to cool the system, but also to force and direct the air to flow through the engine compartment and out so that there is no heatsoak.

Use your underbody panels guys and gals...

Ryan
This is intersting news; being so low, I lost my center underbody panel when I let a female drive my car and she didn't under stand the concept of "lowered"

I hope this doesn't become an issue for my car in the future.
Old 06-06-11, 09:40 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, someone neeeds some more pictures. =)
Old 06-06-11, 09:44 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by QwkSC
This is intersting news; being so low, I lost my center underbody panel when I let a female drive my car and she didn't under stand the concept of "lowered"

I hope this doesn't become an issue for my car in the future.
The stock set up seems to handle the lack of that panel better than my set up. You may be ok, but if you ran a comparison of actual temps and not just eyeballing the OEM temp gauge, I bet you would see that your car runs hotter without the panels than with. The temp gauge allows for a range of temps, not a specific temp, so it may not appear to be overheating...

Ryan
Old 06-06-11, 09:45 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Alright, someone neeeds some more pictures. =)
I will post up more pics later...

Ryan
Old 06-14-11, 01:38 PM
TexasSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics!! Lost my under body panel also. The O2 sensor went bad right after....?!?
Old 06-14-11, 02:14 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Underside panel Pics attached

Sorry guys...I have been real busy lately...Here are some of the pics...If you have not modified your front end or added a FMIC, you should not have to do what I did.

Stock front underbody louvered panel. This panel directs air up into the air chamber behind the front air duct and air dam, but directly towards the lower half of the AC Condensor and Radiator.

Side by Side comparison of the cut one, which I used to add to the stock one for the added length needed to attach this due to the FMIC protruding below the level of the front bumper cover.

Modified panel after riveting the 2 pieces together. perfect fit, and it works! Plus, the rivets ensure it will stay together...Do it right the first time!

Spacers added...After test fitting this, I added 2 more on either side of this one located in the center...These actually rest against the bottom of my FMIC, and keep the bottom of the panel off the FMIC, and the louvers are fully functional this way, so that they not only direct air up befind the center air duct, but they also direct air up to the lower front area of the intercooler too!!

The other panel is the flat one that covers the whole underside of the engine, and has the fold out section to fold down when changing your oil filter, and works in conjunction with the front louvered panel.

Ryan
Old 06-14-11, 02:24 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Car Pics Attached

Here are a few pics from my most recent test drive:

Ryan
Old 06-16-11, 06:42 PM
VelocityBall
Driver

Looks great Ryan! See ya soon.

Last edited by VelocityBall; 06-16-11 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-17-11, 04:45 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent job Ryan, it is so easy to overlook something so simple as a plastic cooling panel's usability in a project this involved. I'm happy you got to the bottom of this mystery and can move on to the much anticipated dyno!!!!

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car Stage II