Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 05:21 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh man. Running videos are going to be so good.
Old 10-11-09, 07:11 AM
2jznat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank GOD for motorheadown coming to his brothers rescue. maybe you should have him tune the car. good job scott.
Old 10-11-09, 07:55 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jznat
thank GOD for motorheadown coming to his brothers rescue. maybe you should have him tune the car. good job scott.
Scott has been invaluable to my project Dave. His knowledge of tuning and wiring up electronics is substantial. More than that, his willingness to help a friend is his strongest suit, IMHO. Thanks Scott.

Two others that have been invaluable as well are:
  • Dan Osypian
  • Chaz Stuart
Both have been superb also.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 10-11-09 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-11-09, 08:18 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Scott has been invaluable to my project Dave. His knowledge of tuning and wiring up electronics is substantial. More than that, his willingness to help a friend is his strongest suit, IMHO. Thanks Scott.

Two others that have been invaluable as well are:
  • Dan Osypian
  • Chaz Stuart
Both have been superb also.

Ryan
They sound like great guys but.........do any of them know how to upload your video!!! LOL.

You're killing us here!

KC
Old 10-11-09, 08:38 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default What can go wrong?

I'm going to try to get a video posted up today fo the start up. Wish me luck.

I titled this post "What can go wrong?". I did that because I have learned that when taking on a project as immense as this one has turned out to be, anything and many things may go wrong. Sometimes it's the complex things, other times it is the most simple of things that may be overlooked. This does not mean a person should not take on their dream project, it just means that Murphy is bound to come and take a visit.

This is where true friends that are knowledgeable, helpful and humble are a godsend. Most of us don't know everything there is to know, and I most certainly fall into that category. What I did know was that I could pay professionals for certain work, put into use what I did know, learn the things I did not know, and ask for help from my knowledgable friends that are willing to put in a helping hand ot two.

Just know that anything can go wrong, so pool your resources and prepare as much as you can, then move forward. I think that is one of the most important strengths to draw from: Be willing to keep moving forward, no matter what the obstacle.

Once we got to the point of starting, the car would not start. There were two issues:
  • Faulty wiring with one of the injector leads and the external MAP sensor for the transmission standalone computer.
  • Mechanical timing was off
Motorheaddown (Scott) was invaluable is helping me track down the problems, and repairng the faulty wiring, and replacing the fried injector. Once again, thanks to Scott for his time and help. He drove over to my house several times to help out.

The timing was a simple but big mistake. I should have gone over the timing once it was done to make sure the motor was in time, and I just assumed it was done right, one of the few things I did not go over after it was done. In fact, the faulty wiring on the injector lead was another item I did not check after having the wiring loom re-wired and the External MAP installed.

A huge lesson learned here: "ALWAYS GO OVER ALL WORK PERFORMED BY YOURSELF AND OTHERS TO ENSURE MISTAKES WERE NOT MADE". No matter how significant or insignificant the task completed was. When I built the motor, I went over each and every step 4 times. I am not stating to review every move 4 times, but review everything at least once.

The timing was another example of this. The person that installed it is highly competent and very careful. But, he had never set the timing on a 1UZ, and the Lexus manual was rather confusing on the timing marks. So, the timing was set to the cam trigger teeth which are located on the back of the timing gears instead of the very small, correct timing marks which are located on the front of the cam gears. I am revealing this so any of you that decide to replace your timing belt are sure to set it to the marks on the front of the gears.

Once the timing was set properly, the car fired right up.

Here's looking forward to driving the car soon.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 10-11-09 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-11-09, 08:40 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
They sound like great guys but.........do any of them know how to upload your video!!! LOL.

You're killing us here!

KC
None of them do....I will figure it out today!!

Ryan
Old 10-11-09, 10:32 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Ryan,

Glad to help get the problems corrected; although, it did test my patience a few times. However, just like anything else, it's a learning experience and well worth the time and effort to get familiar with the 1uz and the Autronic SM4.

And I'll admit the cam timing is something anyone could get wrong the first time on the 1uz. Unlike the 2jz motor the cam triggers on the 1uz are on the back of the cam gears and look like timing marks. It's an understandable mistake.

Good luck and continued success!

-scott
Old 10-11-09, 11:19 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Now off to the dyno and no videos like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GepuJfZOis8
Or this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSVFVahN3Rk

As you and I have talked, this is my greatest fear, This is the stuff that wakes me up at night.

Now lets see those start up videos!
Old 10-11-09, 11:22 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Damn I am Jealous! I wish my car was ready to start! Must be a great feeling.
Old 10-11-09, 12:34 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Or this!

As you and I have talked, this is my greatest fear, This is the stuff that wakes me up at night.

Definitely nothing like that is allowed, Scott.... No Blown motors allowed.

Damn I am Jealous! I wish my car was ready to start! Must be a great feeling.
It is....You'll get there.

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Ryan,

Glad to help get the problems corrected; although, it did test my patience a few times. However, just like anything else, it's a learning experience and well worth the time and effort to get familiar with the 1uz and the Autronic SM4.

And I'll admit the cam timing is something anyone could get wrong the first time on the 1uz. Unlike the 2jz motor the cam triggers on the 1uz are on the back of the cam gears and look like timing marks. It's an understandable mistake.

Good luck and continued success!

-scott
Thanks Scott. I can truly state that I know more now than I did when I started....If you're not learning, what is the point?

Ryan
Old 10-11-09, 01:43 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Well I have finalized the disk in my Sony Handycam, but I cannot seem to save it to my computer. I can play it on Windows Media player, but I can't RIP or BURN it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 10-11-09, 06:27 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does your PC have windows movie maker? If so perhaps it can pull the file off the Sonycam. GL.
Old 10-11-09, 06:55 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Or this!

That's why I always stand at least 25 ft or more away from the car when it's dynoed.
Old 10-11-09, 07:01 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
That's why I always stand at least 25 ft or more away from the car when it's dynoed.
The best place is sitting on the back to get weight on the tires.
Old 10-12-09, 05:03 PM
2jznat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The timing was a simple but big mistake. I should have gone over the timing once it was done to make sure the motor was in time, and I just assumed it was done right, one of the few things I did not go over after it was done. In fact, the faulty wiring on the injector lead was another item I did not check after having the wiring loom re-wired and the External MAP installed.
too bad no one suggested this to you ......LOL.....

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car Stage II