mehsoarer's 2-Week Daily Driver Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 03:36 PM
mehsoarer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow mehsoarer's 2-Week Daily Driver Build

Hello all. New to CL and my name is Chris - from Simi Valley, CA

Im a Nissan 240sx fanatic (7 builds and counting) and have just recently purchased an SC400 to have for a Daily Driver. For those of you who are also S-chassis buff's, im MEHSILVIA on Zilvia.net and Nico (Vert) forums.

My goal was to find a nice comfortable daily that would afford a few luxuries (Leather, auto, working AC - lol) and still quench my appetite for MODS! Since i cant seem to leave anything in stock form.

I picked up a 1992 SC400 beginning of April this year, and immediated placed orders for some necessities and goodies.

And after about 2 weeks of time spent on the car, here is my build:
SC400 with 174K
Seats were in decent condition (tear in the rear seat)
Carpet was stained
Drivers door panel broken
Speakers Blown
Water pump leaking
Calipers painted Gold
Few dings dents and scrapes
****ty 18" wheels

MAINTENANCE:

First things first, i ordered a complete Timing Kit
Timing Belt
Timing Belt Tensioner
Timing Belt Idler Bearings
Water Pump
Thermostat
Thermostat Gasket
Cam Shaft Seal
Crank Shaft Seal
While doing the install, i found two more issues with the cooling system, and ended up replacing both the Water Outlet Pipe (it had a crack) and purchased a brand new OEM Radiator (broken overflow nipple).

And while i was at it, did a complete tune-up with Brand New:
Spark plugs & Wires
Caps & Rotors
Drive Belt
Coolant Flush (Duh)
Oil Filter & Oil Change
Transmission Fluid Flush
Differential Fluid Change
New Battery

Then onto the goodies . . . . . .

INTERIOR:

As much as love the TAN Leather, the Dark Brown accents/trim just had to go!

So with a little research here on CL, i learned about and picked up a few cans of SEM

And went to work on everthing that was Dark Brown

I even went as far as to paint the upper dash pad, center console trim, steering wheel, shift ****, emergency handle and the Carpet.

Then, staying with the whole Black/Tan two-tone, i decided to clean up the weathered seat trim and back panels

Next was the sound system - with Blown speakers and stock headunit, i decided to do a simple upgrade

Kicker 4" speakers for the doors and rear deck, and a Kicker 10" sub

When i pulled the rear speaker tray, i noticed the grills were stained and faded.

So with some more SEM & some fresh new speaker cloth, i got it cleaned up real nice.

I then ordered the Metra Single-Din install kit, a JVC KD-S36 headunit (bluetooth, HD Radio, Ipod control) a small 300watt amp for the Sub.

The steering wheel (though painted) was a little rough, so i ordered a Genuine Black Leather wrap

And then ordered Black Leather cover for the center console/arm rest and an Emergency Brake boot

I think it turned out just beautiful!

BRAKES:

For the Brakes, i simply:
Flushed all of the fluids
Painted the calipers Gloss Black
Installed Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines
And Ordered new rotors and pads

SUSPENSION:

Since this is a Daily Driver, i decided on researching a set of comfortable and affordable Coilovers for the SC

Ended up ordering a set of BC Racing Coilovers from CircuitMS with custom 12k/8k spring rates

EXHAUST:

Since this was not about performance, and budget needed to be kept in mind, i decided to research a cheap axle-back exhaust system. After some simple searches, and the review of youtube clips, i decided to order the Top Speed Pro-1 set from eBay

For $270, im very impressed with not only the sound, but the quality

EXTERIOR:

Some simple dress-up touches
Satin Black on the emblems
Side Windows Visors
And a Rear Window Visor
WHEELS/TIRES: (the finishing touch)

I had my eye on these wheels for some time, and stumbled onto a set that was posted up on Zilvia. They didnt fit the guys S13 too well.

MRR GT-1 in Chrome 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 with brand new Federal 595s 225/35 & 245/35's

And here she sits . . . . . .

Thanks and Enjoy!
Old 05-14-10, 03:49 PM
iduntnoega
Driver

very nice build.. i got that same set of wheels except in hypersilver and their awesome.
also is that a HIC roof spoiler? if so, i got one of those on the way too man, and was actually thinking about those TOP Speed exhaust, how are they? as far as sounds? although you are 1uz im thinkin it would sound alot louder than it would on a 2jzge, anyways nice build man!
Old 05-14-10, 03:53 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She looks great!
Old 05-14-10, 03:56 PM
iduntnoega
Driver

oooh another question... did you SEM the carpet too?
Old 05-14-10, 04:07 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice transformation.. I like what ya did with the interior, your seats are hella clean. Not really feeling the chrome rims but its what you like. They can sure use some spacers..
Old 05-14-10, 04:09 PM
cino21
Pole Position

I'm digging the build, mad props yo mad props lol jk.. it looks clean and the attention to detail is top notch!
Old 05-14-10, 04:13 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

wow, amazing... any pics of the brakes paintd? what did u use to paint your seat bottoms, the same as the trim? how long did u let the stuff sit before u put it back in the car? thanks

PS. any plans for painting the front lip?

Last edited by pmpdaddyt; 05-14-10 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-14-10, 04:15 PM
mehsoarer
Rookie

Originally Posted by iduntnoega
very nice build.. i got that same set of wheels except in hypersilver and their awesome.
also is that a HIC roof spoiler? if so, i got one of those on the way too man, and was actually thinking about those TOP Speed exhaust, how are they? as far as sounds? although you are 1uz im thinkin it would sound alot louder than it would on a 2jzge, anyways nice build man!
Yeah, i was set on the Hypersilver as well, but these Chrome ones came up for dirt cheap.

And it is an HIC spoiler, fits perfectly

And i am VERY pleased with the TOP SPEED exhaust. When i searched for it on youtube, all i found was BMWs, Mercs and high end cars. I thought, "well, for $270 why not take a chance"
The sound is deep and low, not raspy and loud. The tone is "just" noticeable with the windows up, and perfectly ballanced with the windows down. Not to mention its got an incredible deep growl when you step into it.

Originally Posted by Hil
She looks great!
Thanks.

Originally Posted by iduntnoega
oooh another question... did you SEM the carpet too?
Yes. But i have to say the SEM applies much better to cutpile carpet, and not too well on our PLUSH carpet. Since the fibers are long and run deep, it doesnt do too well past the top layer. So constant wear will cause the tan to show through. To fix this little issue, i installed a full set of black floormats. That way all the exposed carpet stays nice and black, and the mats take all the wear.
Old 05-14-10, 04:20 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Wow great transformation engine looks mad clean, and I want to do the same thing with the interior. Where'd ya get the center console cover?
Old 05-14-10, 04:23 PM
mehsoarer
Rookie

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
Nice transformation.. I like what ya did with the interior, your seats are hella clean. Not really feeling the chrome rims but its what you like. They can sure use some spacers..
Yeah, the Chrome was not my first choice, but they are growing on me. Not like i always keep to just a single set of wheels
Originally Posted by cino21
I'm digging the build, mad props yo mad props lol jk.. it looks clean and the attention to detail is top notch!
Thanks alot.
Originally Posted by pmpdaddyt
wow, amazing... any pics of the brakes paintd? what did u use to paint your seat bottoms, the same as the trim? how long did u let the stuff sit before u put it back in the car? thanks

PS. any plans for painting the front lip?
Ill get some more pics of things like the calipers and such.

The seat bottoms and rear panel was also painted with the SEM. And its dries rather quickly, so everything was thrown back in within hours.
Old 05-14-10, 04:27 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

You should spray that wood panel under the dash with the AC vents to match the sides. Keep it up
Old 05-14-10, 04:30 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did you order the SEM from? and how did you prep it
Old 05-14-10, 04:33 PM
mehsoarer
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC51
Wow great transformation engine looks mad clean, and I want to do the same thing with the interior. Where'd ya get the center console cover?
Both the center console cover and emergency brake boot were ordered from this company:

http://stores.ebay.com/TOP-GAITERS-BOOTS
Old 05-14-10, 04:39 PM
mehsoarer
Rookie

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
You should spray that wood panel under the dash with the AC vents to match the sides. Keep it up
The sides have been wrapped in black leather material that i purchased at a local fabric store. Just need to finish off that center piece to complete it.

Originally Posted by Vincent123
where did you order the SEM from? and how did you prep it
We have a local auto paint supply shop here in Simi, so i bought it there. But i have found it online a few places.
Old 05-14-10, 05:15 PM
Blurr
Driver

Originally Posted by mehsoarer
Yeah, i was set on the Hypersilver as well, but these Chrome ones came up for dirt cheap.

And it is an HIC spoiler, fits perfectly

And i am VERY pleased with the TOP SPEED exhaust. When i searched for it on youtube, all i found was BMWs, Mercs and high end cars. I thought, "well, for $270 why not take a chance"
The sound is deep and low, not raspy and loud. The tone is "just" noticeable with the windows up, and perfectly ballanced with the windows down. Not to mention its got an incredible deep growl when you step into it.

Thanks.

Yes. But i have to say the SEM applies much better to cutpile carpet, and not too well on our PLUSH carpet. Since the fibers are long and run deep, it doesnt do too well past the top layer. So constant wear will cause the tan to show through. To fix this little issue, i installed a full set of black floormats. That way all the exposed carpet stays nice and black, and the mats take all the wear.
Try to use some black ritz spray dye on the carpet as well. That is what I did and it looks much better. Looks good!

Quick Reply: mehsoarer's 2-Week Daily Driver Build