Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

My 04-06 LS430 merged w/ a 98-00 LS400 bumper Project (heavily loaded w/ pix)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 05:07 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It might not be near finished but CONGRATS on getting this far. I can guarantee this DIY is going to be used by a crapload of people on lots of different makes of cars.
Old 03-18-10, 11:44 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, there is some crafty work. When I first saw the bumpers line up, I thought to myself, well nice project too bad it didn't work out... But you guys stuck with it and sure enough it looks pretty damn nice without having even started the finishing phase. I will definitely stay tuned. How far away are you guys from the Charlotte area?
Old 03-18-10, 12:45 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Wow, there is some crafty work. When I first saw the bumpers line up, I thought to myself, well nice project too bad it didn't work out... But you guys stuck with it and sure enough it looks pretty damn nice without having even started the finishing phase. I will definitely stay tuned. How far away are you guys from the Charlotte area?
Thanx for the props fellas. We're about 2.5-3 hours away from the Charlotte area. I go to Charlotte pretty often though, my in-laws lives there.
Old 03-18-10, 06:00 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be checking back on this one, some Frankenstein work your doing
Old 03-18-10, 11:15 PM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work! This will open up a lot of windows for others. Also, I wonder if you cut a couple inches below the chrome trim line on your stock bumper then, cut at the chrome trim line on your donor, and put them back together. That would extend the frankenstein bumper a couple inches. Wouldn't that look better? Not saying yours are bad or anything. It's nice as it is, but I was just wondering. If someone could photoshop that so everyone can do it in the future, that would be great.
Again, very nice work!
Old 03-22-10, 07:37 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

So, I had to be out of town this weekend......but lucky for me, I roll with a deep crew and my boys decided to help me on the bumper anyways. Big huge thanx to AJ and Jeremy, and Chet as well for helping me out. AJ sent me some cell phone pictures of the work that they did. This bumper has A LOT of hours dedicated to it, so maybe I should make a mold of it and get it replicated, haha. Anyways, we are nearing the end, here are some pictures:

They first sanded down the front real good and then laid on some fiberglass bondo:

Next, they sanded down the bondo after letting it dry for a while:

They laid on filler bondo as well to cover up the holes and smooth out any discrepancies on the bumper:

Next up, we'll fix any blemishes, primer, then paint. I am going to paint the sides rocker panels and rear bumper as well. Getting rid of the OEM two-tone look.
Old 03-22-10, 11:56 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Will be looking forward to the install and paint. Props...this is a nice project.
Old 03-23-10, 08:12 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

make sure you take picture on the before and after 2 tone upgrade
Old 03-23-10, 10:52 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Props on being willing to do this, and even more so as a DIY!!
Old 03-23-10, 01:19 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by veritek
Props on being willing to do this, and even more so as a DIY!!
Thanx man. I've done so many projects like this for my SC300 but I forget to take pictures, and I regret not doing so. It's not only useful for others but also nice to have pictures of the work you've done. Hopefully more members would do the same as well. I love seeing DIY threads.
Old 03-23-10, 02:46 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

nice work.

a couple things that may have helped you before hand are:

1) keep a frame of the original bumper to maintain your original mouting points.

2) use semi rigid parts repair instead of bondo on plastics.

look forward to seeing it compete!
Old 03-23-10, 05:05 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
nice work.

a couple things that may have helped you before hand are:

1) keep a frame of the original bumper to maintain your original mouting points.

2) use semi rigid parts repair instead of bondo on plastics.

look forward to seeing it compete!
Thanx man. Hey, I have a question. Since we already started using bondo for the finishing touch, and I don't really want to go back and redo everything, my question is....Why can't you use bondo to finish up the bumper? I mean, we've already got it merged together so well that it's practically one piece. I have no worries about the durability of this bumper now. Besides from getting into a head on collision or something, are you guys saying that the bondo would just fall off the bumper? From my experience with bondo, if you rough up the surface enough, and sand the bondo down flat and leveled, I don't see any way that it's going to not hold up. I have limited experience w/ using bondo on plastic though, the only thing I've made was a grill for a Subaru Legacy and it held up really well......still looks great after 5 years.
Old 03-23-10, 05:39 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

the potential issue is that the bumper is more flexible than the bondo. the filler should adhere fine if the prep/application was right but if the bumper bends (i.e. impact) and the bondo doesn't it will crack. not saying it will defintely fail but if you ever have to do it again you got a heads up on the "right" way to do it.

*edit - grills don't apply as much since they are rigid plastic.
Old 03-23-10, 06:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Just a chime for what BLKonBLK98 mentioned. I had some mods done to the stock bumper and to maintain the flexibility, the shop used filler that is compatible with the polyurethane-urethane type bumpers. Before paint, they gave it a flex test and they had tested 3 different fillers. The prior two cracked and the last one was good.

Mine scrapes each time in-out of our driveway and if the filler was rigid, I suspect I've have cracked it by now.
Old 03-23-10, 07:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah, bondo is not what you wanna use on a polyurethane bumper.

look into this stuff, Lexkost used it a few years back to modify a 98-00 LSportline kit for his custom headlight '96.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vip...-compound.html

Quick Reply: My 04-06 LS430 merged w/ a 98-00 LS400 bumper Project (heavily loaded w/ pix)