Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

92 LS400 Build Log

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 07:56 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DIdnt know you were local i would like to see it in person sometime. I like the look although for a dd i wouldnt dump it lol.
Old 10-21-09, 06:07 PM
lexondubs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
I have played with the audio a little bit so far. Initially, I planned on going very simple by just swapping out the drivers and trying to get some decent sound. I tried a couple things and wasn't satisfied. Fortunately, I came up on a nice trade for some DLS Reference series amps and won some free Damplifier Pro courtesy of Second Skin Audio. I will be buying another IB sub and going with some 6.5" components up front. Factory HU will remain for cosmetics sake. I also upgraded to a 200A alternator when I replaced the PS pump leak damaged original.

Some pics of the original deadening job. At this point I was planning on a low power scenario so I went with a minimal coverage approach.

For those interested in improving your substage performace deadening is step 1, especially in the IB scenario common to LS400 factory and aftermarket installs. The purpose of deadening is to reduce the vibrations of the panels (resonance) with the added bonus of better sealeing of the cabin from the trunk (depending on application).

I have used a couple different brands of similar deadening products (previous versions of second skin products, dynamat, cascade... off the top of my head). The Damplifier Pro is beefy. This makes the deadener work well but can make it a little tougher to work with. Second Skin has been regarded as the value leader by many for a while and I would agree. Good product for a fair price.

I had some stained/missing grill cloth so I went ahead and rewrapped them in brown speaker cloth. It was not expected to be a perfect match. I will be doing a multi-tone interior with an accent color if things go as planned so this will work but could possibly be changed out down the road.

curious do u have to take the door panels off to get the speaker grills off to re wrap ?
Old 10-22-09, 06:28 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, theres some retainers on the back side. mine were breaking off when i tried to remove the little ring things so i just cut them all of and glued them back in. might not have been the best idea...
Old 10-22-09, 10:18 AM
lexondubs
Rookie

thanks man for the reply my 2 back door covers and the subwoofer covers have seen better days and wanted to do a possible gucci print or something figured id ask you since uve done the re wrap lol
Old 10-25-09, 07:37 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

you probably could but i don't think it would come out as nice as a well done (better than mine) speaker cloth. the 2 things that will set it apart are the stretchability of speaker cloth and the fact that it's acoustically transparent (all sound passes through).

---

new wheels:

carving head 40. i know a lot of ppl won't dig it but i really do. i finally like my ls. took the short end of the stick money wise in a trade but got some killer rare old school wheels, still brand new, in sizes that probably won't be seen again for a long time in return.

the guy that originally brought them over from japan intended to put them on a ucf10. fitment is excellent.

unfortunately i went with some tires i had no experience with for cost reasons. sizing was not as expected. i'm going to do a little more tweaking but do not want to mod the quarter panels to the point were they are noticeably altered. not sure exactly what i'm going to replace these with yet.
Old 10-25-09, 08:33 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

looks good BoB
Old 10-25-09, 10:45 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

nice ****..
the q's wheels was pretty tight too.
Old 10-26-09, 05:33 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I absolutely love those wheels! Look killer.
Old 10-27-09, 06:47 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the speaker cloth idea. My new basket case needs all the speakers rewrapped with speaker cloth. Think this would work out OK? http://www.speakerworks.com/ProductD...oductCode=GCBE
Old 10-27-09, 06:53 PM
cation
Rookie

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
now the wheels are off, new ones coming later this week. temp 17" off my q:

I really like those wheels. What are they? Willing to part with them?
Old 10-28-09, 06:45 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

they are impul r1. i might part with them in the future, after they are repaired/refinished, but you'd probably be better of going with bbs rm/rs. same look but more readily available and therefore cheaper. these are really made for nissans anyway.

Originally Posted by Thermactor
I like the speaker cloth idea. My new basket case needs all the speakers rewrapped with speaker cloth. Think this would work out OK? http://www.speakerworks.com/ProductD...oductCode=GCBE
yup, that'd do it.
Old 10-28-09, 08:26 AM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the new wheels, looks special.
Old 10-28-09, 07:26 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the new wheels. Old school to New era!
Old 11-20-09, 04:50 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

updates:

dls iridium 8.2 (8" mids) in the doors.

trunk setup (setup for 2nd amp/sub). we'll call this a prototype. i paid someone to do the install but will redo it eventually. my design but execution could have been better (i didn't pay much though). the original trunk panel will eventually be trimmed to cover the gaps but it is what it is for now.

not so great metra dash kit, old school hu with a bad rca out (), and some ugly wood.

failed attempt at wood customization. fortunately i have another set so i am going to try a different method. for now i will just ride around with my ricer painted pieces (this pic was before we tried to fix them... came out worse).

new wheels and a couple other goodies coming soon.
Old 05-26-10, 10:35 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

guess it's been a while (actually found my own link googling). i'm gonna go through my photobucket so i may miss something or get it out of order. anyway:

switched from head 40 to mae (oz made) 18x9.5 +35 all around. jdm headlights installed.

took out the dls/eclipse, bought eclipse dd/tang band midbass.

beat sonic dash kit.

215/35-18 nankang nsii.

r1 concepts e-line slotted rotors (2ls fronts).

radio/dash kit installed.

midbass installed in factory mounts.

2ls brakes installed.

uca clearnce cut.

custom true dual mid pipe.

head 40 back on, 215/35(f)40(r), super low.

you are here. more to come.

Quick Reply: 92 LS400 Build Log