Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS430 owner vehicles

***Budget Build: Project43***

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-11, 03:44 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
nice,, how load is it when you get on it,, or well how much louder did this make it cuz i know you already have those pipes
Actually.. the cold air vs short arm intake doesnt have that much of a sound difference. But I can tell you the car breathes much better now with direct outside air instead of the hot engine bay air.
Old 05-07-11, 04:24 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you care looks amazin! Where did you get the chrome grill in your older posts? Do yous till have it?
Old 05-08-11, 07:04 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by solo
Actually.. the cold air vs short arm intake doesnt have that much of a sound difference. But I can tell you the car breathes much better now with direct outside air instead of the hot engine bay air.
i forgot you had the short ram air intake prior. did you have an x pipe put in or what do you have from the first cat, back?
Old 05-09-11, 09:50 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dejavu157
man you care looks amazin! Where did you get the chrome grill in your older posts? Do yous till have it?
ebay, ebay, ebay :d
Old 05-09-11, 09:54 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sojah
i forgot you had the short ram air intake prior. did you have an x pipe put in or what do you have from the first cat, back?
Basically I have PPE headers -> stock header cats -> downpipe -> X pipe -> true dual pipes back -> Magnaflow mufflers -> Job Design tips.

All 2.5" piping, teg welded and heat painted flat stealth black.
Old 06-22-11, 02:41 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Solo, I will be going to a shop Friday morning to see what can be done to let our V8 roar. It has been a long search to find a shop in my area that is enthusiastic to work on our luxurious LS. I have been met with "Any reason why you'd want to do that?" to "You will be throwing codes if you mess with the stock 'tuned' Lexus exhaust."

I notice in this picture that the O2 sensors are hanging in the air. What did you do to keep them from throwing a code? My car will be going on the lift to see what can be done about the exhaust while not throwing any codes.

I know it can be done since you have already done so but are there any pointers or tips that I need to know before I go?

Old 06-22-11, 03:04 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

Best advice I can give you, make sure all the o2 sensors are in the same locations. My sensors were hanging in the picture bc the shop was working on the piping at that moment the picture was taken. I run all the stock sensors.. I did add an extension to the last o2 sensors. Some ppl call it an o2 defouler. What it does is it positions the o2 sensor further back so it would read less richness in the piping bc I deleted the third cat. The headers has cats on the lower section with o2 sensors aswell.

Adding an exhaust is relatively safe and usually doesn't throw any cel. Just make sure o2 sensors are still in the stock locations and plugged in.

Even with headers, I do not throw a code.

***best mod, cold air intake. Once the intake filter was out of the umber hot engine bay, the car runs like new. It made such a huge difference, even now with the 100+ degree temperature, I have notice a major difference with the cars throttle response and overall low end performance.

There are plenty of other tweaks you can add to the motor, but the most beneficial would be the cold air intake and larger exhaust pipes.

GL and let me know your progress.

Originally Posted by Milan
Solo, I will be going to a shop Friday morning to see what can be done to let our V8 roar. It has been a long search to find a shop in my area that is enthusiastic to work on our luxurious LS. I have been met with "Any reason why you'd want to do that?" to "You will be throwing codes if you mess with the stock 'tuned' Lexus exhaust."

I notice in this picture that the O2 sensors are hanging in the air. What did you do to keep them from throwing a code? My car will be going on the lift to see what can be done about the exhaust while not throwing any codes.

I know it can be done since you have already done so but are there any pointers or tips that I need to know before I go?

Old 06-22-11, 03:10 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

Also keep in mind, NA cars need back pressure unlike boosted motors. A straight through exhaust is ideal, but make sure whatever muffler you buy still gives some back pressure, so you do not loose your low end power.

I don't know about everyone else, but I tend to do more street light pedal fun, than midnight high speed chases.

Solo
Old 06-22-11, 03:11 PM
VietGuy03
Driver School Candidate

Nice work! It was fun going through the thread and seeing the progression. It is inspiring because I was trying to figure out what to do with the LS that would be appropriate given the classy nature of the car. Thanks!
Old 06-22-11, 03:32 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did add an extension to the last o2 sensors.
Are there any more O2 sensors past the ones that I pointed out? Edit: Just reread page 4 and there shouldn't be, let me know if I'm correct.

One important question I neglected to ask you was how is the drone? Do you get any when cruising at steady speeds?

A straight through exhaust is ideal, but make sure whatever muffler you buy still gives some back pressure, so you do not loose your low end power.
I was thinking of these...

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9292

Last edited by Milan; 06-22-11 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-22-11, 03:53 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

There's o2 on the headers then after the third cat. After that, it's free range!
Those Magaflows look good!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Are there any more O2 sensors past the ones that I pointed out?

I was thinking of these...

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9292

Old 06-22-11, 03:55 PM
Milan
Pole Position

I tried to edit my post before you posted but I was too late lol.

One important question I neglected to ask you was how is the drone? Do you get any when cruising at steady speeds?
Old 06-22-11, 04:01 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

I tried to edit my post before you posted but I was too late lol.

i got absolutely no drone.. my LS430 idles at a very low and quiet 650-750 rpm. when im driving locally, 35-40mph.. it's just a nice soft deep rumble..

no drone, tin-can, hollow sound at all. many of the newer cars have this "drone" sound ie. M3, 370Z, etc., but to be honest, I just dont hear it in my car.

It rumbles like a V8 muscle car.. that's honestly the best way to describe it.

GL
Old 09-16-11, 10:54 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is one sexy machine!! Not sure if the wheels are the greatest match. But sick ride none the less
Old 09-20-11, 09:40 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
That is one sexy machine!! Not sure if the wheels are the greatest match. But sick ride none the less
Thx YaKuZa_GS.. I still rock it daily !!!