My Shine Auto Project Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 01:54 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Shine Auto Project Build Thread

My Shine Auto Project Build Thread

Just to fill some of you guys in, last fall someone backed into my car at the gym and his insurance paid a generous amount for the damage.

Original Plan

So at first, I had the modest intentions of fixing the damage, respray my faded rear bumpers, and upgrade the front bumpers to a 1997+ OEM one since I absolutely hate the pre-1997 body style of our cars. Soon the mod bug bit me pretty hard.

2nd Plan

I went on to acquire the entire 1997+ kit by Christmas of 2009 but I wasn't content since it looked like just an OEM SC300 but at the time the AutoCouture was way out of my budget. So I picked up a Vertex 1997+ front lip and a Vertex hood spoiler to differentiate my car from other 1997+ stock cars at the beginning of this year.

3rd Plan

So after finding a body to do the work this July, I became indecisive again and I decided not to go with the Vertex lip kit but I am definitely not content with the OEM 1997+ kit. I found a used Wald Executive kit at RB Motoring so we headed out there with cash in hand to pick it up but to my dissappointment (and probably for the better due to horrid fitment) the kit was converted for single exhaust. There goes my plan to build an original looking SC.

4th Plan

While out in the City of Industry at RB Motoring, I impulsively decided to head out down the street to AIT Racing to check out their newly released Auto Couture replica bumper. At this point I don't have a choice. Its either go complete OEM 1997+ or have an AutoCouture front bumper so I took the gamble to be a guinea pig and picked up the front bumper.

Here are pictures of the AIT Racing Bumper

Last edited by JspecSC3; 07-22-09 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Two simple words can bring this thread down.
Old 07-22-09, 01:55 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Here are the pictures that the employees at Shine took of my side skirts and rear bumpers, demonstrating the flexibility of the material

Last edited by xknowonex; 07-22-09 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-22-09, 01:56 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Final Plan

So after I got home, I was torn and stressing over mixing up the kits. I have full confidence in the fitment of Shine's kits. AIT was a gamble for me. Sure, my buddies over in G35driver.com have good experiences with AIT stuff but it is all a give or take with these replica aftermarket stuff since they are not produced in-house but overseas. So you can have a kit that fits like a glove for the G35 and one that fits like crap on our cars. I did some research across the forums and learned that not all AIT stuff are created equal so I made a final decision. The slight risk of having the front bumper not meeting my expectations is too risky for me to take (especially when I am spending quite a bit on this project) so I gave Ken a call, dragged my friend for the third time and got the second front bumper out of the mold.

Now, I have two replica AutoCouture front bumpers sitting around and they both look very much alike. The AIT version is heavier, not as flexible, but who knows? It could possibly fit like a glove with minor prep work. Atleast now I can sleep and not be stressed out over it.

Finally, the parts swapping ordeal is officially over. I just got the Supra BBKs repainted in gunmetal and got the fenders mildly rolled so the car is ready to hit the body shop as soon as my door moldings, fogs, and spoiler arrive.

Stay tuned for updates!

After all this is all over, the car will be relieved (hopefully) from daily driving duties after almost 5 years and 60,000+ miles of loyal service.

PS. Please, no debate or arguing about replicas in my thread. There is already a thread for that so if you must please take it over there https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vip...o-project.html

Last edited by xknowonex; 07-22-09 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-22-09, 02:04 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol. the aussies jumped all over this one. good luck to you, hope the kits work out.
Old 07-22-09, 02:05 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet, can't wait to see the finish bro.
Old 07-22-09, 02:05 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, good luck with the fitment and everything, buddy! man...seems like with all the things you purchased, re-purchased you could've bought an AC kit.
Old 07-22-09, 02:14 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bangdangvn
wow, good luck with the fitment and everything, buddy! man...seems like with all the things you purchased, re-purchased you could've bought an AC kit.
Yea in retrospect, I should have bought a used AC kit instead of the 1997+ kit from the beginning.

I should have test fitted the AIT one before getting the Shine one but I don't have time nor do I know how. It looks legit and its probably fine but not worth the risk and stress.

Originally Posted by tularisgp
lol. the aussies jumped all over this one. good luck to you, hope the kits work out.
No kidding. Go on the Soarercentral forums and you can see all the people jumping in on the group buy. From what Ken told me, they got a MAJOR deal on shipping. Imagine a bunch of Shine Auto Project Soarers roaming around over there lol

Last edited by xknowonex; 07-22-09 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-22-09, 02:57 AM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Good luck man. Btw, did you have any pictures besides the dent on your car? Just wondering because I see some huge spacing.
Old 07-22-09, 03:18 AM
lowkeySC
Pit Crew

cant wait till you have it on. i would like to know how it fits.
Old 07-22-09, 07:32 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shajbot
Good luck man. Btw, did you have any pictures besides the dent on your car? Just wondering because I see some huge spacing.
+1... got a bunch of "?" going down the page

If this AC replica kit fits nicely.... it's going to be popular as hell.
Old 07-22-09, 07:37 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn i am at work can cant see the pics
Old 07-22-09, 07:43 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

YAY no more OG Auto Couture owners getting all butthurt in this thread. I'm one of those who prefer certain "original brand" things but this replica kit seems interesting. When is the ETA on fitment?
Old 07-22-09, 08:14 AM
ecstaticSC
Racer

I can't wait to see the end result.
Old 07-22-09, 08:45 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Cant wait for the final outcome Jerry. How long is the bodyshop going to have your ride for? I wanted to see pics of the Shine kit, all I see is X's . Guess I have to wait till the kits mounted on your car..
Old 07-22-09, 10:29 AM
KingSoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Yea in retrospect, I should have bought a used AC kit instead of the 1997+ kit from the beginning.

I should have test fitted the AIT one before getting the Shine one but I don't have time nor do I know how. It looks legit and its probably fine but not worth the risk and stress.

No kidding. Go on the Soarercentral forums and you can see all the people jumping in on the group buy. From what Ken told me, they got a MAJOR deal on shipping. Imagine a bunch of Shine Auto Project Soarers roaming around over there lol
bahaha i got to say i found the Aussie thing pretty funny, didnt know you guys troll through our Aussie site. And yeah its even funnier that im the guy organising to get the kits to the Aussie guys haha, you simply dont understand how much people want these kits and ive devoted myself to making it happen one way or another. Australia WILL have AC Soarer representing soon enough

Quick Reply: My Shine Auto Project Build Thread