Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-09, 08:37 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple more toys to experiment with showed up today.
Kenne Bell Boost a pump - this is for my fuel system upgrade
Kenne Bell Boost a spark - Plan on trying to up the voltage on the tundra COP's
BTW the large braided line has nothing to do with fuel, That for my rear water passage X-over.
Name:  DSCF1918.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  115.8 KB
Old 01-27-09, 09:04 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Scott! A little Bling Bling for the new project.
Doesn't that stuff just cost to much.
You gotta pay to play though right?
Old 01-27-09, 09:10 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

An lines and fittings are high dollar. I still have a lot to buy. I just don't know how far I will go with them.
Old 01-27-09, 09:13 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

I hear you, and after i started it made everything that wasn't SS, or SS braided look bad. you just have to tell yourself enough is enough.
what I hate is all the extra I have. you change something a little and it effects all the fittings.
I must have 25-30 extra fittings laying around. money money.
Old 01-29-09, 07:02 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Bob, your car looks incredible under the hood, I hope to pull somthing off that really grabs the eyes. I have a lot of plans and a lot a fabrication to get there but it should be worth it.

On another note: I got 32 brand new Prius lifters in and am preparing to install them. I only hope that I got the right thickneses. I spent hours upon hours measuring and planning this valve train, wish me luck.
Old 01-30-09, 07:03 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

I do wish you luck, but you've lost me with the Prius lifters?
Old 01-30-09, 07:37 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
I do wish you luck, but you've lost me with the Prius lifters?
I have longer valve stems and a slightly increased cam base circle to use the Prius lifters. I will be running a light weight shimless set up. There have been known incidents where high lift cams at high RPM's will actually spit the stock 1 UZ shims out. Several guys have switched to a shim under bucket design because of this. I decided to take it one step further and run a shimless set up. We shall see if it works out, I sure hope it does or it has been a costly experiment.
Old 01-30-09, 03:33 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do Prius lifters qualify you for the fuel efficient vehicle tax break?
Old 01-30-09, 05:58 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Ha ha ha, I sure hope so!
Old 01-30-09, 06:58 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

I'm frimular with the shim under bucket. I built a 20v 1.6l 4a-ge. it's a great little motor.
It redlined at 8200 rpm stock, and i think the shim under bucket is good for at least 10,000. Never tried it though.
How high you plan on buzzing the 4.7
I hope you put down some serious numbers with that thing.
Is the prius shim under bucket, or is it shinless, and your trying to put it on the 4.7
the more i hear about your project Scott the cooler I think it is. I hope it's a beast!!
Old 01-30-09, 07:25 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

I'm frimular with the shim under bucket. I built a 20v 1.6l 4a-ge. it's a great little motor.
It redlined at 8200 rpm stock, and i think the shim under bucket is good for at least 10,000. Never tried it though.
Is the prius shim under bucket, or is it shinless, and your trying to put it on the 4.7
the more i hear about your project Scott the cooler I think it is. I hope it's a beast!!
I dont really know how high I plan to buzz it, I guess it depends on when it starts to roll off on the dyno. RPM Power range is hard to know since that is ultimately dictated by supercharger sizing, but the cams are 3000-7500RPM ball park. The cam profile is stable with the kelford valve springs to 8000, but they dont recomend taking them up there on stock cam buckets.....
That's why I went Prius shimless.

Prius buckets can be used with a shim under bucket with the proper retainers but really by design they are shimless. You can order them in thicknesses 5.06 mm to 5.74mm in .02mm increments. Thats what I did to avoid shims.
Old 01-30-09, 07:25 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

shimless or shim/under/bucket doesnt simply allow you to rev higher. you stock springs will most likely come close to their resonant frequency and break.

running shimless lifters is not necessarily done so you can rev higher. added weight in the valvetrain can cause valve float. there are different types of valve float as well. some may not be dirrectly associated with high rpm. you can get valve float from the cam design as well as the driving behavior. instantaneous rpm spikes are more likely to cause float then a continuous opeartion at high rpm. if you have minor valve float at high rpm it may lead to bad things or it may simply make your motor start dying on power.

considering scott replaced the cams, specs unknown but i would love to spec them out in the CamDoctor, and also the increased loads from more manifold pressure, as well as different valve springs can only be complimented by as light of valvetrain as you can get.

more pix scott...or ban
Old 01-30-09, 08:04 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Yes you are correct, I should have also mentioned weight. This lifters shold save some weight over the stockers. I plan on getting a weight as compared the stock ones. Titanium retainers are also a big help.
Old 01-30-09, 08:49 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Scott,
If I remember correctly you had adjustable cam gears. The other thing that comes into play here is the best adjusted cam timing for your desired objective. Adjusting cam timing can make a big difference but, is very tricky and time consuming.

Thats also where you'll see some difference in where the Motor falls off on the dyno with performance cams.

Are your heads off the motor now ? Did you have any head flow porting work done ?
Old 01-31-09, 04:53 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jgscott
Scott,
If I remember correctly you had adjustable cam gears. The other thing that comes into play here is the best adjusted cam timing for your desired objective. Adjusting cam timing can make a big difference but, is very tricky and time consuming.

Thats also where you'll see some difference in where the Motor falls off on the dyno with performance cams.

Are your heads off the motor now ? Did you have any head flow porting work done ?
Yes you are correct, I have adjustable cam gears. Heads are on the motor as I type.
Heads intake and exhaust are ported. The valves are oversized. The heads were not flowed on a bench but drastically improved over stock.

Quick Reply: Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8