Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-08, 10:22 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not so sure if you mentioned it... how did you take care of the CEL's by swapping the tranny? Im looking at that for my swap.
Old 11-19-08, 06:36 AM
forcefed86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how I missed this Scott! Looks like you opened a can of worms! I call dibs on first ride along!

Just a thought... although I know you've probably already explored this route but couldn't you use an adjustable cam gear on the exhaust cam? Then you could dial back the overlap or the larger cams U had? I know it's a trick my "honduh" buddys have been doing for a while now. You could go one step further and use an adjustable gear on the intake cam and advance it. This would put your intake and exhaust durations closer together. (Gotta be honest I don’t even know what your motor looks like I’m just assuming it has cam gears on a timing belt and not a chain.)

Seems like for the 500-600 HP goals this shouldn’t be that hard with some decent boost and the C.I.’s your pushing?

I've successfully helped build 2 turbo 5.0 cars with a completely stock long block and the cars easily made 450-500 HP range at moderate boost. And could have made more if the block would have taken it. Hell my 3.8 6cyl buick motor with stock heads and cam made 475 @ the wheels. Now with a tiny 204/214 cam and ported iron heads with slightly larger valves I'm pushing over 500whp. (guessing by the 131 trap speeds) This is all done on 91 pump gas with alcohol injection. (a must if you ask me) With a massive 5500 redline. Which is very easy on valve train parts.

Don't get me wrong all the cam research it's fascinating. But stock cams and valves with some bowl and port should easily put you into the mid 550 range with boost? Thats the main reason I like boost! You don't need to go into all the crazy flow dynamics. You just crank up the boost and make your own flow rates! Also with that big ol 8cyl why bother reving it to the moon? Keep rpms down and boost up! Your engine will last longer you’ll make buttloads of torque! That’s what really gets you moving….

Oh and If the IGN is similar to the sc300 I wouldn't worrie about IGN. Just gap your plugs down. Everyone told me I'd have to ugrade to the distrib less tt supra IGN for my car. pfffft!

OEM:
coil
wires
cap
rotor
cheap copper core acdelcos gapped at 24

I've run as much as 26psi through them with no IGN breakup. I threw an MSD on that I had laying around the house. Didn't notice a difference. Just idled cleaner. Don't be tempted by those iridium plugs either. I installed those and I got a little break up around 22+ ppsi. Just copper AC R42TS I believe was the PN for me.

Good luck keep us posted.

Awesome project!

Last edited by forcefed86; 11-19-08 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-19-08, 07:39 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by forcefed86
Not sure how I missed this Scott! Looks like you opened a can of worms! I call dibs on first ride along!

Just a thought... although I know you've probably already explored this route but couldn't you use an adjustable cam gear on the exhaust cam? Then you could dial back the overlap or the larger cams U had? I know it's a trick my "honduh" buddys have been doing for a while now. You could go one step further and use an adjustable gear on the intake cam and advance it. This would put your intake and exhaust durations closer together. (Gotta be honest I don’t even know what your motor looks like I’m just assuming it has cam gears on a timing belt and not a chain.)
Yep, I have looked at this, the problem is the cams are married by gears in the center of the camshafts, I will post a picture later. I did explore making a adjustable gear but there is a real space issue to do it. Kelford is actually developing cams with adjustable gears currently but nothing on it yet. I do have adjustable gears on the intake cams to change the valve timing but it wont effect the overlap. Thats why I had them grind the overlap to a specific amount. I love the idea of adjustable gears, just getting there seemed like a tough route.
I know what you are saying about stock cams and boost, I guess I might have went a little overboard.

Originally Posted by forcefed86
Oh and If the IGN is similar to the sc300 I wouldn't worrie about IGN. Just gap your plugs down. Everyone told me I'd have to ugrade to the distrib less tt supra IGN for my car. pfffft!

I've run as much as 26psi through them with no IGN breakup. I threw an MSD on that I had laying around the house. Didn't notice a difference. Just idled cleaner. Don't be tempted by those iridium plugs either. I installed those and I got a little break up around 22+ ppsi. Just copper AC R42TS I believe was the PN for me.
Good point, You may be right that my stck Dizzy's are fine, I guess I really like the COP's clean look as well.
Old 11-19-08, 07:52 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Not so sure if you mentioned it... how did you take care of the CEL's by swapping the tranny? Im looking at that for my swap.
Sorry, I never worried much about the CEL's cause I always new I was going to a stand alone. I never put enough focus on it to solve it. Maybe Mark (Blizzy) will work to a solution on his.
Old 11-19-08, 09:23 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Sounds like your SC is going to be a beast Scott! Good Luck!
Old 11-19-08, 11:21 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Yep, I have looked at this, the problem is the cams are married by gears in the center of the camshafts, I will post a picture later. I did explore making a adjustable gear but there is a real space issue to do it. Kelford is actually developing cams with adjustable gears currently but nothing on it yet. I do have adjustable gears on the intake cams to change the valve timing but it wont effect the overlap. Thats why I had them grind the overlap to a specific amount. I love the idea of adjustable gears, just getting there seemed like a tough route.
I know what you are saying about stock cams and boost, I guess I might have went a little overboard.

Good point, You may be right that my stck Dizzy's are fine, I guess I really like the COP's clean look as well.
I good turner/builder maybe able to remove the Cam gears and repress them on, to change the cam degree, to what ever you want it to be. maybe.

I would stick with the Head work and cams you're doing. That's so overlooked in F/I, and F/I loves to flow thru heads and valves. Remember a engine is just a air pump. I might add to unless I missed it, back cutting valves, bringing the seats out, deshourding, and reshaping the Combustion Chamber along with CC ing, the heads. and Flow bench testing with someone that is very good with headwork. Also lightening the Valvetrain is a good idea, with things like Titanium valvetrain parts.

I would also get those 2 1/4 S&S headers off there. Their gonna be a stop gap, that motor is gonna flow some spend exhaust gases.

Sounds like your looking to make power up in the 6500rpm + powerband. On a 4 cam, 32 Valve engine, built with High boosting on a superchanger, It will be a monster up top if you can get it to 7000rpm +, woah ! If I was gonna play around with Cams and timming I would move that power up the High RPM power band to take away from low end wheel spin. With the right cams and timming it will hit like a little turbo chager when the cams come on up top !

Last edited by jgscott; 11-19-08 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added
Old 11-19-08, 01:58 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jgscott
I good turner/builder maybe able to remove the Cam gears and repress them on, to change the cam degree, to what ever you want it to be. maybe.
Unfortunatly the gears are keyed on the cams.

I would stick with the Head work and cams you're doing. That's so overlooked in F/I, and F/I loves to flow thru heads and valves. Remember a engine is just a air pump. I might add to unless I missed it, back cutting valves, bringing the seats out, deshourding, and reshaping the Combustion Chamber along with CC ing, the heads. and Flow bench testing with someone that is very good with headwork. Also lightening the Valvetrain is a good idea, with things like Titanium valvetrain parts.
All good ideas, I have been considering Titanium retainers. By using the 1 piece Prius buckets with no shims I have lightened up the valvetrain some.

I would also get those 2 1/4 S&S headers off there. Their gonna be a stop gap, that motor is gonna flow some spend exhaust gases.
I would like to try the Rush headers but am waiting to see how they fit on Mark's (Blizzy's) car. Depending on the outcome I will either get those or go custom but thats a bit down the road.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-19-08, 02:11 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
Wow! Sounds like your SC is going to be a beast Scott! Good Luck!

X2 can't wait to see those final number.
Old 11-21-08, 12:45 PM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scotts SC is one of the few that could probably re-sell for near it's original 1997 dealer price. LOL
Old 11-21-08, 02:17 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ahhyes300
Scotts SC is one of the few that could probably re-sell for near it's original 1997 dealer price. LOL
That would be nice, I know I have more than that in it. These things are toys and you never come out good on toys. The more you invest the more you lose
Old 11-21-08, 09:28 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

That would be nice, I know I have more than that in it. These things are toys and you never come out good on toys. The more you invest the more you lose
Werd!! Any forced induction project is pretty much a black hole money pit, but it sure is fun once it's running.

Good luck on the project Scott! Definitely a unique beast you're building there.

-scott
Old 11-22-08, 05:50 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Kinda reminds me of this thread ! Ever read this one ? " So you wanna go FI ? "
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=Ding&page=2

Last edited by jgscott; 11-22-08 at 05:51 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-22-08, 06:11 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Kinda reminds me of this thread ! Ever read this one ? " So you wanna go FI ? "
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=Ding&page=2
I had not seen that thread but so true!
Old 11-23-08, 09:32 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never Stop! It's winter soon in Illinois, just dream of warmer weather!!!
Time to bring out the heater to the garage, and start cranking to get ready!
Old 11-23-08, 11:21 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OMFG im retarded and I didnt even realize I posted in this thread.... 4.7? SWEET!

Quick Reply: Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8