Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Build Threads
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8

Old 11-18-08, 11:22 PM   #31
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (10)

Send a message via AIM to RedPhoenix Send a message via MSN to RedPhoenix

Not so sure if you mentioned it... how did you take care of the CEL's by swapping the tranny? Im looking at that for my swap.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

-Toyota MR2 Gen 3 swapped
RedPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 07:36 AM   #32
forcefed86
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Not sure how I missed this Scott! Looks like you opened a can of worms! I call dibs on first ride along!

Just a thought... although I know you've probably already explored this route but couldn't you use an adjustable cam gear on the exhaust cam? Then you could dial back the overlap or the larger cams U had? I know it's a trick my "honduh" buddys have been doing for a while now. You could go one step further and use an adjustable gear on the intake cam and advance it. This would put your intake and exhaust durations closer together. (Gotta be honest I donít even know what your motor looks like Iím just assuming it has cam gears on a timing belt and not a chain.)

Seems like for the 500-600 HP goals this shouldnít be that hard with some decent boost and the C.I.ís your pushing?

I've successfully helped build 2 turbo 5.0 cars with a completely stock long block and the cars easily made 450-500 HP range at moderate boost. And could have made more if the block would have taken it. Hell my 3.8 6cyl buick motor with stock heads and cam made 475 @ the wheels. Now with a tiny 204/214 cam and ported iron heads with slightly larger valves I'm pushing over 500whp. (guessing by the 131 trap speeds) This is all done on 91 pump gas with alcohol injection. (a must if you ask me) With a massive 5500 redline. Which is very easy on valve train parts.

Don't get me wrong all the cam research it's fascinating. But stock cams and valves with some bowl and port should easily put you into the mid 550 range with boost? Thats the main reason I like boost! You don't need to go into all the crazy flow dynamics. You just crank up the boost and make your own flow rates! Also with that big ol 8cyl why bother reving it to the moon? Keep rpms down and boost up! Your engine will last longer youíll make buttloads of torque! Thatís what really gets you movingÖ.

Oh and If the IGN is similar to the sc300 I wouldn't worrie about IGN. Just gap your plugs down. Everyone told me I'd have to ugrade to the distrib less tt supra IGN for my car. pfffft!

OEM:
coil
wires
cap
rotor
cheap copper core acdelcos gapped at 24

I've run as much as 26psi through them with no IGN breakup. I threw an MSD on that I had laying around the house. Didn't notice a difference. Just idled cleaner. Don't be tempted by those iridium plugs either. I installed those and I got a little break up around 22+ ppsi. Just copper AC R42TS I believe was the PN for me.

Good luck keep us posted.

Awesome project!

Last edited by forcefed86; 11-19-08 at 07:52 AM..
forcefed86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 08:39 AM   #33
ScottURnot
Super Moderator
Trader Score: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed86 View Post
Not sure how I missed this Scott! Looks like you opened a can of worms! I call dibs on first ride along!

Just a thought... although I know you've probably already explored this route but couldn't you use an adjustable cam gear on the exhaust cam? Then you could dial back the overlap or the larger cams U had? I know it's a trick my "honduh" buddys have been doing for a while now. You could go one step further and use an adjustable gear on the intake cam and advance it. This would put your intake and exhaust durations closer together. (Gotta be honest I donít even know what your motor looks like Iím just assuming it has cam gears on a timing belt and not a chain.)
Yep, I have looked at this, the problem is the cams are married by gears in the center of the camshafts, I will post a picture later. I did explore making a adjustable gear but there is a real space issue to do it. Kelford is actually developing cams with adjustable gears currently but nothing on it yet. I do have adjustable gears on the intake cams to change the valve timing but it wont effect the overlap. Thats why I had them grind the overlap to a specific amount. I love the idea of adjustable gears, just getting there seemed like a tough route.
I know what you are saying about stock cams and boost, I guess I might have went a little overboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed86 View Post
Oh and If the IGN is similar to the sc300 I wouldn't worrie about IGN. Just gap your plugs down. Everyone told me I'd have to ugrade to the distrib less tt supra IGN for my car. pfffft!

I've run as much as 26psi through them with no IGN breakup. I threw an MSD on that I had laying around the house. Didn't notice a difference. Just idled cleaner. Don't be tempted by those iridium plugs either. I installed those and I got a little break up around 22+ ppsi. Just copper AC R42TS I believe was the PN for me.
Good point, You may be right that my stck Dizzy's are fine, I guess I really like the COP's clean look as well.
ScottURnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 08:52 AM   #34
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
Not so sure if you mentioned it... how did you take care of the CEL's by swapping the tranny? Im looking at that for my swap.
Sorry, I never worried much about the CEL's cause I always new I was going to a stand alone. I never put enough focus on it to solve it. Maybe Mark (Blizzy) will work to a solution on his.
Old 11-19-08, 10:23 AM   #35
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (7)

Send a message via AIM to LexusFTW

Wow! Sounds like your SC is going to be a beast Scott! Good Luck!
LexusFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 12:21 PM   #36
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottURnot View Post
Yep, I have looked at this, the problem is the cams are married by gears in the center of the camshafts, I will post a picture later. I did explore making a adjustable gear but there is a real space issue to do it. Kelford is actually developing cams with adjustable gears currently but nothing on it yet. I do have adjustable gears on the intake cams to change the valve timing but it wont effect the overlap. Thats why I had them grind the overlap to a specific amount. I love the idea of adjustable gears, just getting there seemed like a tough route.
I know what you are saying about stock cams and boost, I guess I might have went a little overboard.

Good point, You may be right that my stck Dizzy's are fine, I guess I really like the COP's clean look as well.
I good turner/builder maybe able to remove the Cam gears and repress them on, to change the cam degree, to what ever you want it to be. maybe.

I would stick with the Head work and cams you're doing. That's so overlooked in F/I, and F/I loves to flow thru heads and valves. Remember a engine is just a air pump. I might add to unless I missed it, back cutting valves, bringing the seats out, deshourding, and reshaping the Combustion Chamber along with CC ing, the heads. and Flow bench testing with someone that is very good with headwork. Also lightening the Valvetrain is a good idea, with things like Titanium valvetrain parts.

I would also get those 2 1/4 S&S headers off there. Their gonna be a stop gap, that motor is gonna flow some spend exhaust gases.

Sounds like your looking to make power up in the 6500rpm + powerband. On a 4 cam, 32 Valve engine, built with High boosting on a superchanger, It will be a monster up top if you can get it to 7000rpm +, woah ! If I was gonna play around with Cams and timming I would move that power up the High RPM power band to take away from low end wheel spin. With the right cams and timming it will hit like a little turbo chager when the cams come on up top !

Last edited by jgscott; 11-19-08 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: added
jgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 02:58 PM   #37
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott View Post
I good turner/builder maybe able to remove the Cam gears and repress them on, to change the cam degree, to what ever you want it to be. maybe.
Unfortunatly the gears are keyed on the cams.

Quote:
I would stick with the Head work and cams you're doing. That's so overlooked in F/I, and F/I loves to flow thru heads and valves. Remember a engine is just a air pump. I might add to unless I missed it, back cutting valves, bringing the seats out, deshourding, and reshaping the Combustion Chamber along with CC ing, the heads. and Flow bench testing with someone that is very good with headwork. Also lightening the Valvetrain is a good idea, with things like Titanium valvetrain parts.
All good ideas, I have been considering Titanium retainers. By using the 1 piece Prius buckets with no shims I have lightened up the valvetrain some.

Quote:
I would also get those 2 1/4 S&S headers off there. Their gonna be a stop gap, that motor is gonna flow some spend exhaust gases.
I would like to try the Rush headers but am waiting to see how they fit on Mark's (Blizzy's) car. Depending on the outcome I will either get those or go custom but thats a bit down the road.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-19-08, 03:11 PM   #38
//LRD
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFTW View Post
Wow! Sounds like your SC is going to be a beast Scott! Good Luck!

X2 can't wait to see those final number.

AC BODY KIT, Petrol Sevilles 20x9 FRT.20X11.5's RR, TEIN SS ride controlled by an EDFC, USDM 2JZ-GTE , BW S366, 264 cams, 4in dual exhaust Made 546 on 18lbs FUEL MANAGED BY Power Squirt 3 EMS ,ARISTO LSD 377. Fully built tranny By. //LRD BRAKES BY //LRD
//LRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 01:45 PM   #39
ahhyes300
Pole Position
Trader Score: (2)

Send a message via AIM to ahhyes300

Scotts SC is one of the few that could probably re-sell for near it's original 1997 dealer price. LOL
1996 BMW "332i" Sedan auto->5spd, Arctic Silver/Black leather, S52B32m3 & ZF transmission swap, K&N intake, Supersprint exhaust, Staggered BBS CH's, Potenza pole position's, Edm glass headlights, Edm tails, ///M-technic everything Building a cornering machine, not a "hard parker"
ahhyes300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 03:17 PM   #40
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhyes300 View Post
Scotts SC is one of the few that could probably re-sell for near it's original 1997 dealer price. LOL
That would be nice, I know I have more than that in it. These things are toys and you never come out good on toys. The more you invest the more you lose
Old 11-21-08, 10:28 PM   #41
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Quote:
That would be nice, I know I have more than that in it. These things are toys and you never come out good on toys. The more you invest the more you lose
Werd!! Any forced induction project is pretty much a black hole money pit, but it sure is fun once it's running.

Good luck on the project Scott! Definitely a unique beast you're building there.

-scott
10.44 @ 137mph
motorheaddown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 06:50 PM   #42
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Quote:

Kinda reminds me of this thread ! Ever read this one ? " So you wanna go FI ? "
http://clublexus.com/forums/showthre...ht=Ding&page=2

Last edited by jgscott; 11-22-08 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: add
jgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 07:11 PM   #43
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Kinda reminds me of this thread ! Ever read this one ? " So you wanna go FI ? "
http://clublexus.com/forums/showthre...ht=Ding&page=2
I had not seen that thread but so true!
Old 11-23-08, 10:32 AM   #44
UZZ-TT
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

Never Stop! It's winter soon in Illinois, just dream of warmer weather!!!
Time to bring out the heater to the garage, and start cranking to get ready!
UZZ-TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 12:21 PM   #45
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (10)

Send a message via AIM to RedPhoenix Send a message via MSN to RedPhoenix

OMFG im retarded and I didnt even realize I posted in this thread.... 4.7? SWEET!

-Toyota MR2 Gen 3 swapped
RedPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 12:21 PM