Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

new project build Drag / Drift SC300

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 10:44 PM
EvolvedGS3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new project build Drag / Drift SC300

I am pretty new here on CL, but I thought you all would be interested in my latest project. Should be getting started here in the next 3 weeks or so.
A good buddy that I built a car for in the past has come thru with a new project for us.
Instead of me just building a car for someone else, I am building this in partnership with the owner, and another buddy.
We are planning on doing a complete build, not just focusing on one aspect of the vehicle, and not just building it for one genre of motorsports.

Its a 1993 Lexus SC300.
Had some front end damage from the previous owner.
Target HP is going to be around 500whp
primary use will be daily driver, drift, and drag
We will be building the engine, sourcing a tranny that will work for the HP goals, doing all body work, paint, cage. Well pretty much a total build up.
As usual I will do a complete build up and post it up here on CL
I am also in the market for any aftermarket parts for the SC.
so if you gots some, and feel like shipping lets do this.

Right now we could really use a set of coilovers
chassis braces
engine mounts
well lots of ****.

I have built cars ranging from rally, to drift, to autocross. But this will be the first time I have built a lexus up. So any experiences or links to others threads that directly relate to this would be appreciated. I am a weekend wrencher so no big baller budgets for us. But we do like to fabricate most of our parts to save money. Hopefully yall like the show.
Old 08-21-08, 10:56 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

drift and drag dont mix. if you have a good drift car it will not be a fast drag car. likewise a fast drag car with be asspiss as a drifter.

there is no such thing as an "all-around" perfect car. every car has a purpose. most cars that are "multi-purpose" dont do their best at what they do.

if you going to drift it then no point of painting it unless the whole car is totally fcuked. save the money and do other mods.

what is your budget anyways? that will dictate everything. if you dont have a set goal for purpose, power, and budget you will FAIL...

Last edited by 5sp_jzz30; 08-22-08 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-22-08, 02:52 AM
EvolvedGS3
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
drift and drag dont mix. if you have a good drift car it will not be a fast drag car. likewise a fast drag car with be asspiss as a drifter.

there is no such thing as an "all-around" perfect car. every car has a purpose. most cars that are "multi-purpose" dont do their best at what they do.

if you going to drift it then no paint of painting it unless the whole car is totally fcuked. save the money and do other mods.

what is your budget anyways? that will dictate everything. if you dont have a set goal for purpose, power, and budget you will FAIL...
thanks for your input. Keep repping the midwest.
Old 08-22-08, 11:37 AM
That-Guy
Pole Position

i agree with you, most cars have a specific purpose, generally you end up having to compromise stuff if you try to build the all around best, but i did see a skyline one time, it was this blue devil thing that some magazine featured and it was all over the internet and what not and it ran high 7's in the quarter but it was a beast drift car, it also did autocross. It was crowned as the all around years best tuner car or something like that, i don't really remember, point is it is possible, but not without dumping mega bux man.
Old 08-22-08, 11:48 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EvolvedGS3
thanks for your input. Keep repping the midwest.
HAHA!!! Made me laugh.
Old 08-22-08, 12:00 PM
SCjzz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u have some pics of some of your projects? id love to see some of them!

for drift and drag, your best bet on the transmission is going to be the r154 or if u have the money, a six speed getrag from a supra. l-tunedparts.com is a great site for parts and has a link to some trd parts. horsepowerfreaks.com, they have great suspension and engine parts there, as well as some other stuff.

its going to be really hard to go from going fast straight line to going sidways. drag is meant for stability going straight and drifting takes a whole different suspension setup. it seems like you have it covered though so ill take your word for it!

if u need anything else were here! good luck on your project.
Old 08-22-08, 12:15 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get two SC's and mod the hell out of both so you can have your cake and eat it too.
Old 08-22-08, 12:25 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by high0ncarz
Just get two SC's and mod the hell out of both so you can have your cake and eat it too.
my thoughts exactly, drag vs drift suspension very diffrent, drift suspension not friendly for good launches too stiff, and vice versa. now if this is just a "oh ya we drift it" or "oh ya we drag it" and it really just sits there and looks pretty sure you can make it both but for serious competition forget about it, unless you are a bazillionaire and have 2 diffrent suspension setup's that you can swap out per event. then look at the tranny applications... diffrent for drag and drift typically u do an auto for serious dragging, that won't work well for drift.
Old 08-22-08, 01:48 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I cant wait to see how this turns out.
Old 08-22-08, 05:49 PM
EvolvedGS3
Rookie

I should be a little more specific. I dont plan on running anything under 11's for drag (better than most, but not super competitive). A stiff chassis, and adjustable suspension on the soft side, with a set of slicks, and some decent power should do the trick.
And as far as drifting goes, well here my thought process on that. You want to be able to adjust caster, camber, and toe greater than the factory setup allows, stiff body, and stiff suspension. as well as a man. tranny.

There will be compromises during the build, but as for now in the planning stage I want to focus on being able to be basically competitive in either genre.
The highest focus point is on daily driveability and quality of parts and build.

I dont mind the naysayers, usually they end up being the biggest sac riders at the end of a build.
Old 08-23-08, 10:04 AM
roy1928
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep us posted