Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 12-16-14, 10:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

smoke smell removal??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 09:08 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke smell removal??

well, I did it.I quit smoking.Its been 2 weeks and I am not going back.I smoked heavily in my car.Its torture driving anywhere cause smoking is all I think about.I have got to get rid of the smell.If I can get rid of the smell it will greatly ease my quit.So far I have used a carpet shampoo on the floor mats and carpeting as well as a daily spray of Febreze on the carpet and mats but it still wreaks.Obviously since smoke rises I am gonna need to treat the headliner with something serious.So I need some suggestions for that as well.Any kinda of air sanitizer or special shampoo for the carpet and headliner? I am assuming I need to replace my AC filter as well? Any help you guys could give me to get rid of this nasty smell would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

Brice
Old 10-14-03, 09:44 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brice, congrads on quitting firstly...

I could give you the names of some very good products that *might* make a dent in the cigarette smell, but in the end my experience has been that you need to go hardcore to truly remove it. You're right about the headliner, and unfortunately trying to use any wet liquid cleaners or deodorizers on it can loosen the glue that holds it in place. Then you trade one problem for another and there's no guarantee it will even remove the smell.
The dealerships use something called an 'ozone generator' which fogs the entire interior compartment with activated oxygen. It permeates the seats, the fabric. headliner, carpet etc.

It might cost you $75 to ~$100 but it's really the 'state of the art' in odor removal for the most part.

If you want to try yourself with traditional deodorizers, you would have to remove the seats for best results (to access the carpet fully) and go through a process of shampooing with an extractor, drying, then using something like 'Kids and Pets Brand Stain and Odor Remover' which gets pretty good reviews. The headliner should only be cleaned with a foaming type cleaner. You might even have to go about this whole process 2x to be effective enough. BTW, you will find your sense of smell much more acute the longer you are away from cigarettes, so you may *think* you got it initially, but may need a non-smoker to judge to be certain. My wife smoked when she was a teen and she feels this is definitely true.

My advice; either have a detailer or dealership do the ozone generator deal, or try and rent one yourself and do it. Hell, you can always do BOTH processes if you want! ...Best of luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-14-03 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-14-03, 10:01 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Originally posted by Guitarman
Brice, congrads on quitting firstly...

I could give you the names of some very good products that *might* make a dent in the cigarette smell, but in the end my experience has been that you need to go hardcore to truly remove it. You're right about the headliner, and unfortunately trying to use any wet liquid cleaners or deodorizers on it can loosen the glue that holds it in place. Then you trade one problem for another and there's no guarantee it will even remove the smell.
The dealerships use something called an 'ozone generator' which fogs the entire interior compartment with activated oxygen. It permeates the seats, the fabric. headliner, carpet etc.

It might cost you $75 to ~$100 but it's really the 'state of the art' in odor removal for the most part.

If you want to try yourself with traditional deodorizers, you would have to remove the seats for best results (to access the carpet fully) and go through a process of shampooing with an extractor, drying, then using something like 'Kids and Pets Brand Stain and Odor Remover' which gets pretty good reviews. The headliner should only be cleaned with a foaming type cleaner. You might even have to go about this whole process 2x to be effective enough. BTW, you will find your sense of smell much more acute the longer you are away from cigarettes, so you may *think* you got it initially, but may need a non-smoker to judge to be certain. My wife smoked when she was a teen and she feels this is definitely true.

My advice; either have a detailer or dealership do the ozone generator deal, or try and rent one yourself and do it. Hell, you can always do BOTH processes if you want! ...Best of luck.
awesome, thanks man!
Old 10-23-03, 03:15 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I bought a winter beater Jeep Grand Cherokee from a smoker. Ordinarily I would have avoided it but the price was right. Anyway, I brought it to a detailer who specializes in odor removal. For $100 he completely shampooed the interior including headliner, visors, carpet etc.. That took care of 99% of the odor. It was a little worse on hot days when closed up for a while but overall the results are good. The detailer told me there are 2 additional things that can be done. One is to ozone the card interior overnight. The other is an ammonia bomb that sometimes the dealers use. They set off a canister of ammonia while the car's AC is running on recirculate. It runs for a few hours and then shut off and closed up. The detailer's preference was the ozone treatment as the ammonia can leave a smell as well.

Good luck on quiting smoking. I gave it up in '74. If I did it, you can too.

Murph
Old 10-23-03, 05:10 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Congratulations!!!!!!!

I was hoping you'd give us a f/u post about your results quitting. It ain't easy but it's worth it!!

Guitarman, what about Ozium?? Useful in this circumstance??
Old 10-23-03, 10:11 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard Ozium is a decent product Mooretorque, but I have no personal experience with it myself.

May be effective, you can only try each product and if it does what you need, it will save you the expense of going to the full blown ozone treatment which isn't cheap. For the cost of Ozium, Febreeze and similar products, you don't have much to lose in trying, though cigarette odors are about as difficult as they come to expunge.

Cheers.