Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

anyone ever touchup paint their bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-03, 06:46 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default anyone ever touchup paint their bumper?

I have a couple paint chips from someone scraping my GS rear bumper. (Friggin valet at some K club). So has anyone used any of CL's sponsors' products (Langka and Auto Visuals) or any other touch-up product on a bumper?

I'd just like to get some positive/negative feedback from anyone who has used any such product and maybe some suggestions on getting good results. I really don't want to paint my entire rear bumper for a few small scrapes, though I would if that is the only good solution.

btw, if it matters, millenium silver paint. i would think any imperfection would show even more on a light colored car.
Old 09-15-03, 06:59 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can never truly hide rock chips / scratches. Only way is to repaint. I have found a solution to this problem. I am buying another bumper and plan on rotating bumpers in and out of bodyshop!
Old 09-15-03, 07:02 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: anyone ever touchup paint their bumper?

Originally posted by pvmike1
I have a couple paint chips from someone scraping my GS rear bumper. (Friggin valet at some K club).
Sorry this is off topic, but which K club did this happen at? Velvet room? Saga?
Old 09-15-03, 07:15 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Autovisuals works great!

Depends on how good you want your bumper to look. If you don't mind a few slight imperfections to the paint, then a touch-up job should be the cheapest and less hassle option. I have a paint pen from Autovisuals for the body color (Black Onyx) of my 2001 ES 300. I used it a few times for rock/paint chips of different sizes, and to me, it does a fantastic job of hiding those chips. Of course the paint pen is not the solution to achieve the "perfect" repainted look on the car, but it works for me. Like GS4Fun mentioned, a full repaint is the way for the true clean look.
Old 09-15-03, 08:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

i figure it is going to keep happening to me, so i'm just going to go out instyle. everyone that's ever scratched my bumper is getting a custom imprint before i repaint
Old 09-16-03, 10:18 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry this is off topic, but which K club did this happen at? Velvet room? Saga?
Brian, I went to a couple places that day. After giving it some thought, my bet is that it happened at the Bliss parking lot. My rear bumper was sticking out after they shoved it in some tiny spot.

Depends on how good you want your bumper to look. If you don't mind a few slight imperfections to the paint, then a touch-up job should be the cheapest and less hassle option. I have a paint pen from Autovisuals for the body color (Black Onyx) of my 2001 ES 300. I used it a few times for rock/paint chips of different sizes, and to me, it does a fantastic job of hiding those chips. Of course the paint pen is not the solution to achieve the "perfect" repainted look on the car, but it works for me. Like GS4Fun mentioned, a full repaint is the way for the true clean look
lexusk8, so I guess you recommend the pen. The marks on my bumper are larger than your normal rock chips -- the largest one is about the size of half a penny. In your opinion, would you use the pen on this large of a chip?

Last edited by pvmike1; 09-16-03 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-16-03, 10:34 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Brian, I went to a couple places that day. After giving it some thought, my bet is that it happened at the Bliss parking lot. My rear bumper was sticking out after they shoved it in some tiny spot.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was by their valet. That's why I always give them the couple bucks and tell them I'm going to park it myself.
Old 09-16-03, 10:51 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The marks on my bumper are larger than your normal rock chips -- the largest one is about the size of half a penny. In your opinion, would you use the pen on this large of a chip?
I would still use the paint pen for that size of the chip. This pen product reduces the paint overflow often seen on dealer-supplied touch-up paint brush bottles, and gives you more control in touching up the affected areas. Therefore, you won't need to do any cleanup for paint spills or splatters since there won't be any. A large chip like the one you described obviously takes a little longer to fill in, but the key is you want to do one coating at a time, and let dry for 15 min before adding on another coating.

So if you have plenty of time on your hands to touch up your bumper yourself, go with the Autovisuals paint pen product. It's an awesome deal
Old 09-16-03, 04:31 PM
Murph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about this topic and I'm going to try this first on my winter beater Jeep Grand Cherokee...

Place a thin pice of tape (scotch tape) over the chip area. Then with a razor blade cut the shape of the chip out of the tape by following the contour of the chip. I can then use the touch up to fill the chip and smear it a little to feather the edges over the tape. Then remove the tape when dry. This should (in theory) give a better touch up than the paint "blob" method. I'll let you know how it works this coming weekend. Or, if anyone tries the experiment first, please post the results.

This seems like it will work .

Murph
Old 09-16-03, 05:29 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Murph
I've been thinking about this topic and I'm going to try this first on my winter beater Jeep Grand Cherokee...

Place a thin pice of tape (scotch tape) over the chip area. Then with a razor blade cut the shape of the chip out of the tape by following the contour of the chip. I can then use the touch up to fill the chip and smear it a little to feather the edges over the tape. Then remove the tape when dry. This should (in theory) give a better touch up than the paint "blob" method. I'll let you know how it works this coming weekend. Or, if anyone tries the experiment first, please post the results.

This seems like it will work .

Murph
I think by countouring the chip shape with the razor blade you are scratching down into the primer into the metal. This can lead to much worst problems in the future....rust! I wouldn't try it...
Old 09-17-03, 05:55 AM
Murph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that if I cut into the paint that it's bad. However, I'm going to use the shape of the chip to only cut the tape. We'll see how it goes. Like I said, I'm going to try it on my winter vehicle first.

Murph