Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic coating for wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 01:27 PM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ceramic coating for wheels?

Should be getting my 3pc. Rotiform wheels any day now and looking to coat them before they're mounted. I know there is already a current thread on coating but was wondering if some coatings are better suited for wheels with the heat,brake dust, etc.
Old 02-23-17, 01:41 PM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saw this product from Gtechniq specific to wheels. Anyone used it? Also, with new wheels what prep needs to be done? Spray down with IPA and wipe before applying a coating? Thanks all..

http://www.detailedimage.com/GTechni...P875/15-ml-S1/
Old 02-23-17, 03:09 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

There are plenty of options out there... if the wheels are painted, then you can use any paint coating or consider using a wheel specific coating such as CarPro DLUX or GTechniq C5.

Product Review: Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour by Zach McGovern

C5 is more user friendly than DLUX.. I don't have extended testing completed with C5 yet, but DLUX held up great for me in previous tests. We have been using C5 for several months and really enjoy how easy it is to use. On painted wheels we tend to just use standard CQuartz or even Crystal Serum Light.
The following users liked this post:
darylrsv4 (02-26-17)
Old 02-23-17, 03:56 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

My ceramic installer did a wheels-off application of Gtechnique while they did the Gyeon on the car. The did the calipers as well.

Ceramic coating for wheels?-photo760.jpg

Last edited by MustangSal; 02-23-17 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 08:15 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a waste of money to coat the wheels. Wheels should get the least amount of love when it comes to cleaning. Just wait till things get really bad and then re powder it.
Old 02-24-17, 09:24 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I used my leftover Gtechniq EXO v2 on my wheels. I've only put about 200 miles on my car in the last 3 months though, so I'm not sure how it'll hold up with time.

Originally Posted by theory816
Its a waste of money to coat the wheels. Wheels should get the least amount of love when it comes to cleaning. Just wait till things get really bad and then re powder it.
You must have some really ugly wheels if you feel that way.

I wouldn't consider it a waste of money at all. The cost of the coating is negligible compared to how much wheels are worth. I'm glad my wheels are coated it makes drying them so much faster. It also keeps water from building up in the cracks and creating water spots.
Old 02-24-17, 10:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

This is the silliest comment I have read in a while.... especially on a detailing sub-forum.

I treat my wheels with the same care as I do my paint. Sure they will get beaten up a bit more due to the amount of grime they are exposed to, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to shine!

Every winter when I switch to my snow wheels & tires my gloss black summer wheels are removed, deep cleaned, decontaminated (chemicals and clay bar), and machine polished prior to applying a new nano coating layer. Completely worth maintaining the factory applied finish, and it makes routine maintenance throughout the year an absolute breeze.

Advising someone to neglect their property until it is so bad it needs to be refinished is not the right advise in my opinion. With proper care, no wheel should need refinishing unless perhaps you're owning them for 10+ years and live in a heavily corrosive environment.
Old 02-24-17, 03:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Can someone please delete this comment. Horrible info.
Old 02-24-17, 04:41 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Can someone please delete this comment. Horrible info.
Horrible info my a ss.

You go ahead and spend 30 minutes cleaning them only for it to get dirty again the moment you drive off the lot lol. I bet you $30 you probably even use tire shine. SO FAKE ahaha.

You are talking to one of the most **** guys when it comes to cleaning buddy.

Last edited by theory816; 02-24-17 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 04:43 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
This is the silliest comment I have read in a while.... especially on a detailing sub-forum.

I treat my wheels with the same care as I do my paint. Sure they will get beaten up a bit more due to the amount of grime they are exposed to, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to shine!

Every winter when I switch to my snow wheels & tires my gloss black summer wheels are removed, deep cleaned, decontaminated (chemicals and clay bar), and machine polished prior to applying a new nano coating layer. Completely worth maintaining the factory applied finish, and it makes routine maintenance throughout the year an absolute breeze.

Advising someone to neglect their property until it is so bad it needs to be refinished is not the right advise in my opinion. With proper care, no wheel should need refinishing unless perhaps you're owning them for 10+ years and live in a heavily corrosive environment.
Im just being realistic here.

Let me ask you this, what part of your car is exposed to the elements the most? Tires and wheels? Ok then.
You gonna spend 30 minutes cleaning them every time they get dirty? Ok then I rest my case.

Last edited by theory816; 02-24-17 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 04:49 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I used my leftover Gtechniq EXO v2 on my wheels. I've only put about 200 miles on my car in the last 3 months though, so I'm not sure how it'll hold up with time.

You must have some really ugly wheels if you feel that way.

I wouldn't consider it a waste of money at all. The cost of the coating is negligible compared to how much wheels are worth. I'm glad my wheels are coated it makes drying them so much faster. It also keeps water from building up in the cracks and creating water spots.
My wheels look perfectly fine. Nobody is going to look at my rims and say, look at piece of dirt.

You are trying to save something that cannot be saved...that is by trying to coat the rims with a coating...when wheels already comes with it.

Now if you can put a clear film on your wheels like you can with the body panels, im all for it, but definitely not a coating.

Last edited by theory816; 02-24-17 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 07:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Im just being realistic here.

Let me ask you this, what part of your car is exposed to the elements the most? Tires and wheels? Ok then.
You gonna spend 30 minutes cleaning them every time they get dirty? Ok then I rest my case.
I would say the paint itself is more exposed to the element due to sheer surface area. You have UV rays striking the paint and dust falling onto it. You aren't going to tell me you never wash your car or add wax/sealant are you?

I think you're under the impression that some of us clean our wheels whenever we find a tiny spec of dust. Most of us are reasonable enough to know that's not feasible so we wash them whenever we wash the rest of the car.

By the way, I spend less than 2 minutes per wheel. I can see someone taking 30+ minutes if their wheels if they were neglected.
Old 02-24-17, 07:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You go ahead and spend 30 minutes cleaning them only for it to get dirty again the moment you drive off the lot lol. I bet you $30 you probably even use tire shine. SO FAKE ahaha.
What's wrong with tire shine? I use it because I prefer to have some shine than to leave it uncoated and looking dull. This is personal preference. Some use it, some don't, but it's not something you should knock people over by calling it fake.
Old 02-25-17, 07:07 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Coated wheels just makes the regular maintenance easier. Just like a ceramic on your paint. It doesn't stop it from getting dirty or water spots, just makes the wash, dry, and shine quick and easy. Especially if you have the right tools.
GunnyFitz (04-17-18)
Old 02-25-17, 08:59 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

Totally agree. I started coating wheels 2 years ago and the wheels are much easier to maintain (in the past, I use Wheelwax, which is easy to apply but not durable, as expected). This coming Spring is about time to do machine polishing on wheels in order to start over a new coat. I wonder is there any precaution when using iBrid Nano Long Neck on wheels? I don't intend to take off the tires from the wheels. Is masking of the tires recommended?

Thanks.
GunnyFitz (04-17-18)

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating for wheels?