Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic coating for wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 09:33 AM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any prep for new wheels? IPA? Thanks all..
Old 02-25-17, 10:38 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Horrible info my a ss.

You go ahead and spend 30 minutes cleaning them only for it to get dirty again the moment you drive off the lot lol. I bet you $30 you probably even use tire shine. SO FAKE ahaha.

You are talking to one of the most **** guys when it comes to cleaning buddy.
You need to relax Buddy.... and take that info somewhere else Champ.

Telling someone to not bother cleaning the wheels is really bad info Chief. There isn't one scenario where neglecting the wheel cleaning process is a waste of time Boss. Even if you live in a highly corrosive environment and have cast or non-painted wheels, there are products that prevent corrosion and bubbling on the wheels Guy. Do your research before posting bad info Kiddo. Do you understand what I am saying to you right now Partner?

I am sorry your wheels look like sht now Pal because either you or the guy who owned your car before you was a lazy person and never cleaned them the right way Captain.

Have a nice day Slick.
The following 2 users liked this post by 97-SC300:
GunnyFitz (04-17-18), Kerune (03-12-17)
Old 02-26-17, 07:56 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Horrible info my a ss.

You go ahead and spend 30 minutes cleaning them only for it to get dirty again the moment you drive off the lot lol. I bet you $30 you probably even use tire shine. SO FAKE ahaha.

Tire shine provides UV protection to the rubber and helps prolong the tire's life.

Im just being realistic here.

Let me ask you this, what part of your car is exposed to the elements the most? Tires and wheels? Ok then.
You gonna spend 30 minutes cleaning them every time they get dirty? Ok then I rest my case.
A coated wheel can be cleaned in 2 to 3 minutes. All the dirt and grime comes off effortlessly.

My wheels look perfectly fine. Nobody is going to look at my rims and say, look at piece of dirt.

You are trying to save something that cannot be saved...that is by trying to coat the rims with a coating...when wheels already comes with it.

Now if you can put a clear film on your wheels like you can with the body panels, im all for it, but definitely not a coating.
I think our disagreement is in the purpose of the coating. I didn't apply a coating to try and "save" my wheels. I applied the coating, so my wheels would be easier to maintain.

Originally Posted by darylrsv4
Any prep for new wheels? IPA? Thanks all..
Yeah, you should do prep on everything. I used carpro eraser on my wheels, but an IPA wipe down should be fine. It's always recommended to do a small test area first to see if any discoloring happens.
The following users liked this post:
darylrsv4 (02-26-17)
Old 02-26-17, 08:13 AM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Zach and blkexcoupe. 👌🏼
GunnyFitz (04-17-18)
Old 04-15-18, 05:57 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Concur with Majority.

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I used my leftover Gtechniq EXO v2 on my wheels. I've only put about 200 miles on my car in the last 3 months though, so I'm not sure how it'll hold up with time.

You must have some really ugly wheels if you feel that way.

I wouldn't consider it a waste of money at all. The cost of the coating is negligible compared to how much wheels are worth. I'm glad my wheels are coated it makes drying them so much faster. It also keeps water from building up in the cracks and creating water spots.
Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
This is the silliest comment I have read in a while.... especially on a detailing sub-forum.

I treat my wheels with the same care as I do my paint. Sure they will get beaten up a bit more due to the amount of grime they are exposed to, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to shine!

Every winter when I switch to my snow wheels & tires my gloss black summer wheels are removed, deep cleaned, decontaminated (chemicals and clay bar), and machine polished prior to applying a new nano coating layer. Completely worth maintaining the factory applied finish, and it makes routine maintenance throughout the year an absolute breeze.

Advising someone to neglect their property until it is so bad it needs to be refinished is not the right advise in my opinion. With proper care, no wheel should need refinishing unless perhaps you're owning them for 10+ years and live in a heavily corrosive environment.
Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Can someone please delete this comment. Horrible info.
Horrible info my a ss.

Not sure what "Theory" you believe in, but its definitely NOT Premium Wheel Care!
Comments such as yours not only make you appear incredibly ignorant when it applies to the use of well tested and widely used products, it truly drives your credibility factor into the ground. I'm not here to pick a fight, but I must absolutely concur with my brethren members as it pertains to your ridiculous comments.
Perhaps you should have left your initial one alone about what one "should do" to their custom wheels - and not followed it up with something so contradictory in nature?

You may actually be "****" but I'm not entirely sure you're in the correct Forum for that? In my world "Cease Fire" is called when something is insanely wrong, or someone is in grave danger. In my personal opinion, you're halfway there (Not of course in the literal sense, as none of my words should be construed as threatening)

This is obviously an open forum comprised of Team Lexus Lovers. I would like to consider the three I own as "High End" Luxury / Sport vehicles that should be treated with love and respect. Not something mercilessly driven into the ground in neglect. Therefore, let those of us who choose to care for our beloved cars do so in peace Mr. Theory81. Thank you.

Carry on fellow members!

I should receive my new Wheels & Tires this week from the awesome Team at PK Design. They were treated prior to mounting the Pilots with a product called "Carbon Flex" - which they stated has worked best for their customers.
Anyone here heard of this one before? It seems the sea is full of hundreds of branded little bottles of this type of stuff! 🇺🇸
Old 04-15-18, 08:21 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Noticed this thread is over a year old but I'd like to add some feedback:

Its a waste of money to coat the wheels. Wheels should get the least amount of love when it comes to cleaning. Just wait till things get really bad and then re powder it.
Thats ironic, no offense but this sounds like the case where we wait for the paint clear coat to fail and have it repainted, why not just take care of it from the getgo. Id much rather prefer oem finish that has aged over the years but taken care of well than a repaint/re powder coat any day. Unless it's high end work, which can become very costly.

To the thread starter: coat them before you mount you will be glad you did and it will save you a lot of headaches in the long run, I have coated new wheels in under an hour including lug nuts and center caps, whereas coating a dirty used already mounted wheel easily becomes an all day task.

No ones ever going to be able to reproduce the original finish so why not protect it the same way you would do to your paint.
GunnyFitz (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 05:35 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by k20trick
Noticed this thread is over a year old but I'd like to add some feedback:

Thats ironic, no offense but this sounds like the case where we wait for the paint clear coat to fail and have it repainted, why not just take care of it from the getgo. Id much rather prefer oem finish that has aged over the years but taken care of well than a repaint/re powder coat any day. Unless it's high end work, which can become very costly.

To the thread starter: coat them before you mount you will be glad you did and it will save you a lot of headaches in the long run, I have coated new wheels in under an hour including lug nuts and center caps, whereas coating a dirty used already mounted wheel easily becomes an all day task.

No ones ever going to be able to reproduce the original finish so why not protect it the same way you would do to your paint.
I picked up on this thread myself because I am currently in the process of ordering some new Wheels and they are doing this Ceramic Coating to them as I type! Regarding that idiotic statement from the other dude, don't even bother saying "No Offense" because he obviously could care less what his car or wheels look like 4-5 years down the road (Pun Intended too)

I see your pics of a few different liquids and syringe. Obviously, you are doing this stuff yourself and have done it before. What is the Larger "Spray Bottle" for there? Perhaps to Clean off everything Prior to coating them with that smaller bottle? The attached pic is the stuff theyre using on my wheels - Im sure all these products are similar in nature and do the same thing-correct?

They told me that once the wheels are mounted and it comes time for washing the car, all I need to do is hose off the wheels with water and then wipe em off with a microfiber towel. No cleaning solvents (obviously) or not even soap and water. Do you find this statement to be true?
Attached Thumbnails Ceramic coating for wheels?-in-box-1.jpg   Ceramic coating for wheels?-in-box-3.jpg   Ceramic coating for wheels?-ceramic-coating.jpeg  
Old 04-17-18, 05:51 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Question Virginia??

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Coated wheels just makes the regular maintenance easier. Just like a ceramic on your paint. It doesn't stop it from getting dirty or water spots, just makes the wash, dry, and shine quick and easy. Especially if you have the right tools.
Hey Mustang -

Where are you in Virginia man?
Wouldn't ya know that last month I had a deposit on a new leftover 2017 Shelby GT350 and a good friend at the Local Ford Dealership here in Northern Virginia let me take one of their Demo models out for a few hours. I was totally hooked and dead set on getting this car too, until after I left and went to talk with my other friend who is the GM of our Local Lexus Dealership- ashamed to admit this but I didn't even know Lexus made a V8 all this time!

Long story long- after another 4 hour test drive in a White on Red RCF, I was TOTALLY on the fence between the two. Since we've had 2 Lexus Vehicles in the family, and my wife owns the Luxury Model RX350- she slammed the door on the Shelby! lol. Ended up getting a 2017 Ultrasonic Blue on Red (Wicked Long Story that I still have to post in the RCF Section) And now here I am decking it out w new Wheels that are being Ceramic Coated too. This week it goes into a High End shop in Sterling for Suntek PPF and Ceramic Coating as well- which is why I am replying to your post here.

Exactly what do all you guys use to wash your cars AFTER having the Ceramic Coating done over the PPF? I would like to believe that using some really good, non toxic Car Wash Soap and water would be fine-Correct?

School me up, and don't forget to hit me up on where you are in the Commonwealth of Virginia too Mustang Sal !!
Attached Thumbnails Ceramic coating for wheels?-shelby-gt350.jpeg   Ceramic coating for wheels?-driveway-1.jpeg  

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 04-17-18 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 07:15 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
I picked up on this thread myself because I am currently in the process of ordering some new Wheels and they are doing this Ceramic Coating to them as I type! Regarding that idiotic statement from the other dude, don't even bother saying "No Offense" because he obviously could care less what his car or wheels look like 4-5 years down the road (Pun Intended too)

I see your pics of a few different liquids and syringe. Obviously, you are doing this stuff yourself and have done it before. What is the Larger "Spray Bottle" for there? Perhaps to Clean off everything Prior to coating them with that smaller bottle? The attached pic is the stuff theyre using on my wheels - Im sure all these products are similar in nature and do the same thing-correct?

They told me that once the wheels are mounted and it comes time for washing the car, all I need to do is hose off the wheels with water and then wipe em off with a microfiber towel. No cleaning solvents (obviously) or not even soap and water. Do you find this statement to be true?
The larger spray bottle is "eraser", its an alcohol wipe down, the wheels had oils etc on them so I wanted to give them a clean wipe down before applying a semi permanent coating to ensure a proper bond. The reason why I have two bottle one quartz and one gloss coat is because I used leftover products and only had enough to use quartz on the face of the wheel and gloss coat on the inner barrels.

They do help dramatically while not maintenance-free, it becomes a much easier task to clean and yes water beads right off.
Old 04-17-18, 01:59 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Not to bad mouth the coating looks like the carbon flex is a product sold by chemical guys not to they say products are bad but I tend to avoid their products as most of them of hyped and marketed Up i prefer meguiars professional products but coating wise I’d stick to the tried and true cquartz and gtechniq are some of the hottest consumer grade coatings that have worked well for me and many others.

after a year of coating I can honestly say that I haven’t washed my car the traditional hose method. I use the Garry deans wash method and have incurred very little wash induced marring over the year. Definitely nothing like before. Of course I tried this wash method on a test panel before to ensure I don’t induce any swirls but reality is anytime u touch your paint there is potential to scratch it dual bucket or not. Some worse than others including automatic and dealer washes those are automatic swirlers imo.

Last edited by k20trick; 04-17-18 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-17-18, 02:48 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Originally Posted by k20trick
Not to bad mouth the coating looks like the carbon flex is a product sold by chemical guys I’d stick to the tried and true cquartz and gtechniq are some of the hottest consumer grade coatings.

after a year of coating I can honestly say that I haven’t washed my car the traditional hose method. I use the Garry deans wash method and have incurred very little wash induced marring .
First, I'm truly not seeking to hijack the OPs thread here whatsoever. Dont thing he's chimed in for a bit so I'm fortunate to get whatever input I can from yoos guys!

The Carbon Flex thing was what the Wheel Shop used and although they didn't charge me, I will take your advice as solid.

Super happy to see you mention the gtechniq or however it's pronounced because that is the exact stuff readied for use over my Suntek PPF too! These guys stated it was the best product of course, but good to see!

Never heard of the "Gary Dean" method so will be looking that up for sure! This is a whole new world from motorcycles to cars w high end/gloss paint. Hell, I dont even do the Two Bucket system which I better at least start that huh?
Thanks again. PM me if you ya feel like contributing to the health of this RCF of mine! Just did an hour drive in Sport S and + and loving the choice I made!!
Old 04-17-18, 07:45 PM
k20trick
Instructor

First, I'm truly not seeking to hijack the OPs thread here whatsoever. Dont thing he's chimed in for a bit so I'm fortunate to get whatever input I can from yoos guys!

The Carbon Flex thing was what the Wheel Shop used and although they didn't charge me, I will take your advice as solid.

Super happy to see you mention the gtechniq or however it's pronounced because that is the exact stuff readied for use over my Suntek PPF too! These guys stated it was the best product of course, but good to see!

Never heard of the "Gary Dean" method so will be looking that up for sure! This is a whole new world from motorcycles to cars w high end/gloss paint. Hell, I dont even do the Two Bucket system which I better at least start that huh?
Thanks again. PM me if you ya feel like contributing to the health of this RCF of mine! Just did an hour drive in Sport S and + and loving the choice I made!!

Dont need to use Garry Dean using a proper dual bucket is good, but Garry dean method saves time, saves water, less mess, use true distilled water (never worry about water spots again), work panels more effectively as your not rushed to do a whole car (you can work panel to panel).

There are times when this method fails however such as cleaning inner barrels of wheels, fender liners, a very dirty car and neglected, cracks and crevices as your not using a hose to rinse these areas just wet microfibers all across, but the pros outweigh the cons especially using it as a maintenance wash.
GunnyFitz (04-23-18)
Old 04-23-18, 04:08 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have hear that ceramic coatings are the bane of a painter's existence. If a wheel gets damaged and needs paint, whomever is doing the repair has to sand off the ceramic coating in order for the wheel to be painted. If ceramic coating prevented brake dust from sticking, I would do it in a heart beat. Best thing for brake dust is chrome, and second best is a machine finished wheel.
GunnyFitz (04-23-18)
Old 04-23-18, 05:23 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Question Gtechniq vs The Rest

Was reading over this Thread again and since we're on subject of Ceramic Coating - Had this question to pose:

When involving Ceramic Coating the CAR itself....This was one product a Local PPF place was going to use OVER the Clear Bra film (Gtechniq) which Im curious is one of the Best?
(They use a Suntek Film for their brand of choice_ )

The other shop uses Xpel Film & "Opti Coat" Ceramic Coating.

Realize there must be tons of quality choices on these, BUT since someone commented that the "Carbon Flex" product being used on my wheels was "not" a quality Coating, I figured some of you may know WHICH brand of Film, and WHICH brand of Ceramic Coating is best to be used on the Vehicle itself?

Do share folks as I have yet to make this decision???
Old 04-23-18, 07:11 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Was reading over this Thread again and since we're on subject of Ceramic Coating - Had this question to pose:

When involving Ceramic Coating the CAR itself....This was one product a Local PPF place was going to use OVER the Clear Bra film (Gtechniq) which Im curious is one of the Best?
(They use a Suntek Film for their brand of choice_ )

The other shop uses Xpel Film & "Opti Coat" Ceramic Coating.

Realize there must be tons of quality choices on these, BUT since someone commented that the "Carbon Flex" product being used on my wheels was "not" a quality Coating, I figured some of you may know WHICH brand of Film, and WHICH brand of Ceramic Coating is best to be used on the Vehicle itself?

Do share folks as I have yet to make this decision???
I'm glad I saw this post from you as I just went through an experience like this. I've had XPEL and now Suntek. XPEL seems to show yellowing more than Suntek. You can apply ceramic/nano coating on top of PPF, but I find the durability doesn't last long and you have to reapply. In terms of coating brands, there's quite a bit on the market. (Ceramic Pro, IGL Coatings, Opticoat, CS-II and etc...) The film choices for installers can be based on price and familiarity with the feel and ease of install. I'm no expert in this area, but just what I've seen. I get a lot of brake dust on my car, and coatings don't help it that much, and I've resorted to CarPro Hydr02. Ease of use and pretty affordable as well. Zach over at Detailed Image did a review on this, take a moment to read and see if you want to try it.

What i find more important is the paint correction itself and the drying methods when you wash the car.
GunnyFitz (04-23-18)

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating for wheels?