Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need product recommendation for removing water spots on windows.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-17, 09:47 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need product recommendation for removing water spots on windows.

For some reason as a result of all the rains here in Los Angeles, I have been getting water spots on my windows. I have never had this happen before on any of my cars.

I would like to know if someone can recommend a product that I can use to remove the water spots on my windows. Thanks
Old 02-22-17, 11:17 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Try this:
Amazon Amazon

Worked like magic on the chrome surrounds on my GS350's fog lights. If the spots are more stubborn call Ryan at Extreme Autowerks. He will give you free advice. He is an excellent detailer and extremely knowledgable.
Old 02-23-17, 05:56 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

If regular cleaner isn't removing them. I think the clay bar is the easiest way. It really is a quick way of removing them. Then use one of the rainX type of products. It's way easier to clean the glass next time.
Old 02-23-17, 06:32 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Please remember that we have an outstanding search function on this forum... this topic has been asked and answered in several existing threads. It helps all users if we can try to consolidate information into one single thread rather than have many many many threads on the same topic.

Here are some quoted responses I have shared in existing threads on this topic...

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Very good answer above! I can't really add anything to it, but here are some helpful articles that I've written on this topic...

Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern

and some helpful articles from other professionals...
Ask-A-Pro: Removing Water Spots from the Paint by Chad Raskovich
Window Etching & Stain Removal Getting the Most Out of Your Meguiar’s Cutting Discs by Brian Guy

-Zach

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
As mentioned, CarPro Spotless - Water Spot & Mineral Remover is a great choice for those spots that have not breached the surface of the substrate they are on.

Here is a review of CarPro Spotless that I did... this shows how to use the product on paint, but the process is identical for spots on glass.

If the spots are more severe and have begun etching into the surface, you will need to polish the surface. Depending on the severity you may be able to use normal automotive paint polish on your glass, otherwise you will need something more capable such as CarPro Ceriglass Polish that contains Cerium Oxide which is necessary for defect removal in glass and will also need glass cutting pads (note: I do not recommend using Ceriglass via machine if you are not aware of proper glass polishing practices).

Here is an article demonstrating waterspot removal on glass using standard MF cutting discs and polishing compound.
Window Etching & Stain Removal Getting the Most Out of Your Meguiar’s Cutting Discs
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​