Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic Coating - Hard to do yourself?

Old 03-06-17, 02:57 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
That kit is a nice starting point. Personally, I would still go with the Carpro products because they designed the coating and matching accessories for it. It isn't necessary to do so, but that is the option I would choose.

The CG soaps will work fine for cleaning your car (the mothers soap would work too), but I don't think they'll enhance your coating in any way.
Again thank you. What is the difference between the Hydro2 you suggested and the Reload I've seen online? It looks like it's a pretty similar product.

Outside of the Chemical Guys kit and the CarPro Reset is there anything else you would suggest to pick up before the 1st wash? I'm not ready to get into pressure washers and foam cannon's just yet.
Old 03-06-17, 05:29 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrby
Again thank you. What is the difference between the Hydro2 you suggested and the Reload I've seen online? It looks like it's a pretty similar product.

Outside of the Chemical Guys kit and the CarPro Reset is there anything else you would suggest to pick up before the 1st wash? I'm not ready to get into pressure washers and foam cannon's just yet.
They're both similar products and you can use either one. I believe reload is supposed to last longer, but it requires more work to apply. Hydro2 is sprayed on and rinsed off after a carwash.

The only other thing I could think of is a PH neutral wheel cleaner to clean your wheels and exhaust before the 1st wash.

Pressure washers and foam cannons aren't necessary, but they are a lot of fun.
Old 03-06-17, 11:30 PM
Luffy808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey CLM (Club Lexus Members),

I have used Carpro reload and gtechniq Exo V3 and here is my comparison of both products!

Carpro Reload:
- Easier to spray on and wipe off!
- Water beads off nicely
- Does NOT last long! When I initially sprayed on water to my car I could see the beading effect, but after washing the car with soap (chemical guys: citrus wash and gloss & Mr Pink). The beading effect disappeared. I did 2 trial runs to see if was the soap, but it wasnt!
- I could see lots of water dirt being kicked up on the sides and rear of the car after driving in the rain, when the car was dry in the garage.

Gtechniq Exo V3:
- What a pain to apply! You need ample lighting and aeration so the chemical doesnt nauseate you
- If you dont wipe a spot after application you have a hazy swirl residue from the chemical that will not be able to taken off unless you use a polisher (ample lighting)
- Water beads like crazy, with just one coating!
- Less water dirt on the sides and rear
- Water beads like crazy before and after car wash
- All that dirt and grime comes off really easy just initial rinsing the car off before using soap (Im very impressed, and less cleaning time!)

IMO, I have to choose gtechniq exo V3 for a good hydrophobic coating and car protection! Although, it has been on the car for over 2 months and Ive only done 1 car washing, but it still beads like crazy better than carpro where I did 2 applications and did not bead after a car washes!

Hope that helps. GL
Old 03-07-17, 06:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Luffy808

IMO, I have to choose gtechniq exo V3 for a good hydrophobic coating and car protection! Although, it has been on the car for over 2 months and Ive only done 1 car washing, but it still beads like crazy better than carpro where I did 2 applications and did not bead after a car washes!
I have EXO v2 right now but may switch over to v3 for better durability. I had a little mishap with water spot. Long story short, some of the v2 wore off during the water spot removal process so my hood doesn't bead like it used to. I hear v3 resists water spots better so that got my attention. Were you and early adopter for v3? I thought it wasn't available to the public until sometimes in late-January?
Old 03-07-17, 09:30 AM
Luffy808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I have EXO v2 right now but may switch over to v3 for better durability. I had a little mishap with water spot. Long story short, some of the v2 wore off during the water spot removal process so my hood doesn't bead like it used to. I hear v3 resists water spots better so that got my attention. Were you and early adopter for v3? I thought it wasn't available to the public until sometimes in late-January?
i bought my directly from gtechniq website. They have an American website with US dollars for us USA customers. It ships from the European country that they are located at. I hope that helps to help you purchase the newest version. GL