Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Commercial Car Washing Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 05:03 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Commercial Car Washing Issues

I've reached the point in my life where I rather bring my car to a commercial car wash than do it myself. I have been bringing my older ES and RX, both in Silver Lining Metallic to a local car wash and never noticed scratches or swirl marks in the last 10 years. I don't go often, and the local car wash says they use "soft foam and micro fiber washing materials". Just took delivery of a 2017 RX which was built in January 2017 (also Silver Lining Metallic), and I am wondering, despite what the manual says about the "self restoring coat", whether I need to wait X months for the paint to harden (like they used to say in the old days).

Also, the manual says to fold in the mirror which is obvious, but the manual also says to turn off the power back door. I couldn't find how to do this in the manual so I would be appreciative if someone could direct me to how to do this. I always ask the attendants to NOT open the rear door, but others down the line sometimes try to do this. So, is it possible to lock the rear door so it does not open with the exterior button in the back? All suggestions and comments would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-17, 05:29 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Paint has already cured by the time you take delivery with nearly all modern automobiles. What do you mean by a "commercial" car wash? Automatic or hand? Most people on this sub-forum will advise against any type of automated car wash, but I'm personally ok with touchless, especially in the winter time here in Canada.

You can turn off the power back door in the driver's multi-information display using the menu controls on the steering wheel under the "gear" icon. The button on the rear door cannot be disabled, except by locking the doors.
The following users liked this post:
sderman (02-13-17)
Old 02-13-17, 05:56 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
I've reached the point in my life where I rather bring my car to a commercial car wash than do it myself. I have been bringing my older ES and RX, both in Silver Lining Metallic to a local car wash and never noticed scratches or swirl marks in the last 10 years. I don't go often, and the local car wash says they use "soft foam and micro fiber washing materials". Just took delivery of a 2017 RX which was built in January 2017 (also Silver Lining Metallic), and I am wondering, despite what the manual says about the "self restoring coat", whether I need to wait X months for the paint to harden (like they used to say in the old days).

Also, the manual says to fold in the mirror which is obvious, but the manual also says to turn off the power back door. I couldn't find how to do this in the manual so I would be appreciative if someone could direct me to how to do this. I always ask the attendants to NOT open the rear door, but others down the line sometimes try to do this. So, is it possible to lock the rear door so it does not open with the exterior button in the back? All suggestions and comments would be appreciated.
In this case I would recommend investing in a clear bra for the hood as well as a ceramic coating such as opticoat or 22ple hpc coating. This creates a layer of protection that can last 3 years or more depending on the type. It also reduces marring caused by car washes!

This way you don't have to worry much.
Old 02-13-17, 07:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I feel ya. I run all my cars through a commercial soft cloth carwash now too. I found the best one I could find, all new, MF towels to dry, good spray off before the cars enter the wash which helps keep the wash media clean. Whether you see it or not though, there is marring from the carwash, especially down low on the paint. If you took a bright light (or even the light from your phone) and shine it down on the lower door panels...you will see it. Nothing polishing it out once a year won't keep in check. At this point...I just don't shine a light down there lol. If you have a dark colored car though it will look rough. My grey is perfect, as is your silver.

I love a clean car, but I don't have time to wash by hand anymore. Trip through the carwash, a spray sealant and the car looks great. My schedule is also such that having a detailer come wash it isn't convenient for me, and I can't wait for 30 minutes to take it to a shop to be washed.
Old 02-14-17, 07:11 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I only use 'touch free' car washes on my RX. I've seen the damage the 'soft' cloth or spinning brushes can make. It takes 5 minutes to spray the car off in the winter or I just find a 'touch free' wash.

In fact, I don't even let Lexus wash my car. I place a 'Do Not Wash' note on the dash when I take my car in for service.

And after my experience with my '05, I've invested in a full hood protection film. I thought repainting my '05 hood to get rid of the stone chips was a good idea. The rust that appeared about a year later changed my mind. I didn't like the visible line with the clear bra so I had the entire hood (and bumper) covered.
Old 02-14-17, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Touch less washes don't get the car 100% clean though.
Old 02-14-17, 08:06 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Believe it or not, there is no "right" way to take care of your car... some people value convenience way more than a swirl free finish, so to them, taking it through a brush wash is the right way for them to clean their car.

It all comes down to what is most important for you.

If you are worried about superficial defects, then you absolutely cannot take it through a touch wash or any sort of full service wash where it will be wiped down. This will certainly create defects in the paint very quickly. A touchless wash or self-serve pressure wash followed by a rinseless or waterless wash is a quick and easy way to safely maintain your vehicle without having to spend 1+ hour washing it at home. However I personally love taking the time to wash my car (finding the time is challenging though).

If you simply want a clean car without having to do any work yourself, a full service wash is probably an OK choice for you.
Old 02-14-17, 09:03 AM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Believe it or not, there is no "right" way to take care of your car... some people value convenience way more than a swirl free finish, so to them, taking it through a brush wash is the right way for them to clean their car.

It all comes down to what is most important for you.

If you are worried about superficial defects, then you absolutely cannot take it through a touch wash or any sort of full service wash where it will be wiped down. This will certainly create defects in the paint very quickly. A touchless wash or self-serve pressure wash followed by a rinseless or waterless wash is a quick and easy way to safely maintain your vehicle without having to spend 1+ hour washing it at home. However I personally love taking the time to wash my car (finding the time is challenging though).

If you simply want a clean car without having to do any work yourself, a full service wash is probably an OK choice for you.
Yup, that's me. I love my Lexus cars for their reliability and refinement and I like how they look clean, but I am not so obsessed that I have to worry so much about the finish that I have to place additional products on them for protection. As I mentioned above, I have about 35 car-wash-years experience with my ES's and RX's (virtually all in Silver Lining Metallic) at our local (brushless, not touchless) car wash and don't remember ever experiencing an issue with the finish.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (09-12-17)
Old 02-14-17, 11:15 AM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Ran my RX through an automated wash and upon exit it damaged my new rear rims. There's other washes that don't have this issue. I was so pissed... Be careful folks!
Old 02-15-17, 07:55 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, that's me. I love my Lexus cars for their reliability and refinement and I like how they look clean, but I am not so obsessed that I have to worry so much about the finish that I have to place additional products on them for protection. As I mentioned above, I have about 35 car-wash-years experience with my ES's and RX's (virtually all in Silver Lining Metallic) at our local (brushless, not touchless) car wash and don't remember ever experiencing an issue with the finish.
I always tried to hand wash myself. Don't trust others as it's not their car. They won't care about it like you do. I haven't had much free time in the past 3 years so hadn't hand washed it often. I'd rather not wash it at all than have the paint damaged by auto brush washes. When it gets too dirty during the winter, I use the touchless spray washes although I know it doesn't do a good job of cleaning. I'd rather that then marks all over. My car is Tungsten Pearl (Silver). Lighter colors like white and silver hide scratches and marks well. But every time I park in my garage and when the light hits the paint at an angle, I can see multiple swirl marks in the clear coat (got my car 2 year used). Go out and shine a flash light on your paint at an angle and I'll bet there's many marks on your cars.

Some people care more about convenience, while others like me am **** about imperfections. To each their own.

Last edited by istarzan; 02-15-17 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 05:33 AM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by istarzan
. Go out and shine a flash light on your paint at an angle and I'll bet there's many marks on your cars..
If I need to shine a flashlight on my paint at an angle to see marks, then I don't have any marks that I care about.
Old 02-16-17, 06:19 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

If I need to shine a flashlight on my paint at an angle to see marks, then I don't have any marks that I care about.
Exactly. So it's not an issue for you.
Old 02-16-17, 07:48 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Darith
Ran my RX through an automated wash and upon exit it damaged my new rear rims. There's other washes that don't have this issue. I was so pissed... Be careful folks!
I took mine thru a auto car wash a few years ago it may have even been touchless, and it scratched my deep dish rims. Never went to a carwash since then, just wash all my cars myself.
Old 02-17-17, 08:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by istarzan
I always tried to hand wash myself. Don't trust others as it's not their car. They won't care about it like you do. I haven't had much free time in the past 3 years so hadn't hand washed it often. I'd rather not wash it at all than have the paint damaged by auto brush washes. When it gets too dirty during the winter, I use the touchless spray washes although I know it doesn't do a good job of cleaning. I'd rather that then marks all over.
See, thats just not me. I used to be that way, but the car is a thing, and its a thing I I own and enjoy for a finite period of time. If I don't have time to hand wash it all the time, I still want it to be clean, beautiful and enjoyable vs dirty but without not easily seen surface imperfections. People see a filthy car on the road they don't comment on how swirl free it must be, its just filthy.

I found the best quality commercial wash I could find that does the best job, they use lots of lubricating soap, spray the cars down well, spray soapy water into the rotating mitters to keep them lubricated, use MF towels to wipe down. Does it mar the car? Yeah...but the car always looks great, everybody comments on how clean and beautiful it is all the time, and I can spend 4-5 hours once a year and correct the paint below the belt line (thats were the swirls are, upper panels are fine) if I want to (I don't).

If I just drove the car around dirty because I didn't have time to wash it, I wouldn't enjoy it as much, and I would be preserving the paint for what? The next guy? He's going to run it through a carwash BTW.

Not knocking detailing or detailers at all. I enjoy detailing a lot, I just don't have time for it anymore. Hand washing is the best way, what I take issue with is the idea that people who do use carwashes or otherwise can't devote the time to having these things done in the best possible manner don't care about their cars.
Old 02-17-17, 08:55 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
See, thats just not me. I used to be that way, but the car is a thing, and its a thing I I own and enjoy for a finite period of time. If I don't have time to hand wash it all the time, I still want it to be clean, beautiful and enjoyable vs dirty but without not easily seen surface imperfections. People see a filthy car on the road they don't comment on how swirl free it must be, its just filthy.

I found the best quality commercial wash I could find that does the best job, they use lots of lubricating soap, spray the cars down well, spray soapy water into the rotating mitters to keep them lubricated, use MF towels to wipe down. Does it mar the car? Yeah...but the car always looks great, everybody comments on how clean and beautiful it is all the time, and I can spend 4-5 hours once a year and correct the paint below the belt line (thats were the swirls are, upper panels are fine) if I want to (I don't).

If I just drove the car around dirty because I didn't have time to wash it, I wouldn't enjoy it as much, and I would be preserving the paint for what? The next guy? He's going to run it through a carwash BTW.

Not knocking detailing or detailers at all. I enjoy detailing a lot, I just don't have time for it anymore. Hand washing is the best way, what I take issue with is the idea that people who do use carwashes or otherwise can't devote the time to having these things done in the best possible manner don't care about their cars.
You mean like the gas station car washes!?!? LOL Those are A1 excellent!

Quick Reply: Commercial Car Washing Issues