Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Commercial Car Washing Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 09:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
You mean like the gas station car washes!?!? LOL Those are A1 excellent!
Oh no! I won't just run it through anything. Like I said, I really checked out all the local carwashes, and chose the one who had the least chance of destroying my car.
Old 02-17-17, 12:23 PM
jungleX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once seen this guy at a car wash inside a shopping centre car park; he opened the front door of the car he's washing, and hosed it. Yes, the inside! I don't do that myself. Just goes to show they don't really care because it's not their car.
Old 02-17-17, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jungleX
Once seen this guy at a car wash inside a shopping centre car park; he opened the front door of the car he's washing, and hosed it. Yes, the inside! I don't do that myself. Just goes to show they don't really care because it's not their car.
That particular person doesn't care. Nobody hoses out the doors of cars at the carwash I use lol.

On a similar note I did see a guy brush out the interior of his car with one of those foaming brushes at a coin op carwash once lol
Old 02-17-17, 02:34 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
See, thats just not me. I used to be that way, but the car is a thing, and its a thing I I own and enjoy for a finite period of time. If I don't have time to hand wash it all the time, I still want it to be clean, beautiful and enjoyable vs dirty but without not easily seen surface imperfections. People see a filthy car on the road they don't comment on how swirl free it must be, its just filthy.

I found the best quality commercial wash I could find that does the best job, they use lots of lubricating soap, spray the cars down well, spray soapy water into the rotating mitters to keep them lubricated, use MF towels to wipe down. Does it mar the car? Yeah...but the car always looks great, everybody comments on how clean and beautiful it is all the time, and I can spend 4-5 hours once a year and correct the paint below the belt line (thats were the swirls are, upper panels are fine) if I want to (I don't).

If I just drove the car around dirty because I didn't have time to wash it, I wouldn't enjoy it as much, and I would be preserving the paint for what? The next guy? He's going to run it through a carwash BTW.

Not knocking detailing or detailers at all. I enjoy detailing a lot, I just don't have time for it anymore. Hand washing is the best way, what I take issue with is the idea that people who do use carwashes or otherwise can't devote the time to having these things done in the best possible manner don't care about their cars.
You have some valid points there. But this was my realistically obtainable dream car. I'll be preserving the paint for myself. To me, it's not just a car and I don't intend to sell it anytime soon. It was a garage queen when I worked from home. Then I was forced to drive it after a new job. Was going to get a beater while it sat in the garage coming out only on special occasions. But I bought a house first. Still saving for a beater.
Old 02-19-17, 05:10 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
You have some valid points there. But this was my realistically obtainable dream car. I'll be preserving the paint for myself. To me, it's not just a car and I don't intend to sell it anytime soon. It was a garage queen when I worked from home. Then I was forced to drive it after a new job. Was going to get a beater while it sat in the garage coming out only on special occasions. But I bought a house first. Still saving for a beater.
My philosophy about our cars is that they should be driven as much as possible, despite getting dirty more frequently. Part of the commitment. I drive mine 90 minutes of commuting each day. It gets dirty. I had a beater car and hated my life daily but at least in my GS the commute is a damn pleasure ride all the time. I put a crap-ton of money into the paint and ceramic coat so it would be easier to maintain. Still, it requires some short clean ups all the time. Just enjoy t, clean or dirty.
Old 02-19-17, 06:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree. That's why I don't understand "beaters". Why would you spend all this money on a car you love and not drive it in the way you drive the most?