Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

RX covered in what looks like paint overspray

Old 02-04-17, 07:49 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RX covered in what looks like paint overspray

I washed my RX and it has what looks like a fine mist of paint overspray covering the vehicle. At first I thought it was dust but does not come out with a regular wash. I know it happened where I work as several of us have it on our cars. We think it is either a type of paint or possibly something that was used when the roof of the building was being worked on. Our company is taking no responsibility so it's up to us to figure out how to remove. Since it is also on the windows, I tried different types of soap, etc. It's small whitish dots that looks like dust- but just doesn't come off. I've searched the forum but not sure what I should use. Would a claying work or is there something else I could try? It's Nebula Gray and I use Liquid Glass when polishing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-04-17, 08:37 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Wash then clay bar it. The clay bar will remove it. Then wax it because the clay bar will remove all the wax on it too.
The following users liked this post:
jer (02-05-17)
Old 02-04-17, 08:41 AM
jer
Instructor

Thanks for the info.I will try that, as I think I've tried all the 'easier' ways out with no success.
Old 02-05-17, 01:43 PM
jer
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Wash then clay bar it. The clay bar will remove it. Then wax it because the clay bar will remove all the wax on it too.
Bought the Mothers kit for $20, took a couple of hours after washing but it did remove the overspray. Left the windows for last so I still have the spots on those as I ran out of clay, but the painted surface is now smooth.
Old 02-05-17, 03:48 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Great to hear. Don't forget to wax, even if for the moment a quick spray wax till next week.
Old 02-09-17, 08:36 AM
Bodacious
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also use Nanoskin products, either the hand held Nanoskin medium or the 6" medium pad. I like using Nanoskin better than clay as you can work it faster, it rinses with water, and it lasts a lot longer than clay. I personally only use clay on my glass. Make sure you use a good detail spray with either clay or Nanoskin and really saturate the paint or you will get marring in the paint. Also after working each body panel dip the Nanoskin in clean water. Just as the other member have stated, make sure you polish/seal/wax afterwards. Also, wash the car before you either clay on Nanoskin with unscented Dawn dish detergent. I would also use a de-ironizer (wolf's chemicals or Aquaquartz) after the wash and before the Clay/Nanoskin.