Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Opti-Coat Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-16, 06:31 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Opti-Coat Questions

Folks I am thinking about getting Opti-Coat Pro+ installed on an Obsidian NX car here in San Diego and I running into significant price variances.

Can someone tell me what a fair price for the install is?

Any recommendations for an installer in San Diego?

One place wants $1299 to install, this includes 1st stage page correction if required. They do the work in a clean room, and bake the paint with heat lamps to speed the curing process.Total process takes two days.

Another place, which seems to be mostly mobile, I am still getting clarification, wants $800 and includes about 5-6 hours of paint prep work.

Can Opti-Coat be installed at a high quality level outside a controlled environment? i.e., Mobile Detailer? I would think not.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-16, 07:20 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Optimum sets a minimum advertised price (MAP) that installers must adhere to. They need to charge this price, or higher, for the Opti-Coat installation. The installer can decide how much higher he/she will charge for their services which may vary in terms of prep work/paint correction level, etc.

Unless things have changed, I do believe the Opti-Coat Pro+ MAP is higher than $800. If the person that is quoting you at $800 is certified according to the opticoat.com list of installers, then I would be concerned that they are not adhering to their agreements with Optimum or they are not using Pro+. Make sure the installers are listed on the list before considering them for the job.

-Zach
Old 12-31-16, 12:39 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

+1. Any of the professional products (Opti, CQ, Gyeon) require certification by the company to be a listed installer.
Old 01-01-17, 01:57 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
Folks I am thinking about getting Opti-Coat Pro+ installed on an Obsidian NX car here in San Diego and I running into significant price variances.

Can someone tell me what a fair price for the install is?

Any recommendations for an installer in San Diego?

One place wants $1299 to install, this includes 1st stage page correction if required. They do the work in a clean room, and bake the paint with heat lamps to speed the curing process.Total process takes two days.

Another place, which seems to be mostly mobile, I am still getting clarification, wants $800 and includes about 5-6 hours of paint prep work.

Can Opti-Coat be installed at a high quality level outside a controlled environment? i.e., Mobile Detailer? I would think not.

Thanks!
Yeah.... you do not need a paint booth or do it indoors for OC Pro. Never heard of that.

It does make it alot easier if you apply it in a controlled environment with a set temperature and humidity so you can have consistent flashing times,etc.

When the temp and humidity are all over the place, you need to get a feel for when the coating starts to flash and not level it too soon or too late, so that's the tricky part. Remove too late and you just ruined a panel with high spots or possible towel marring, remove too soon and the durability and thickness of the coat might be compromised.

Someone doing it in an uncontrolled environment, if they've done enough installs should be able to know the variations in the flashing times for the coating on that specific day and paint and how to handle it, so I would not worry too much.

Last edited by 97-SC300; 01-01-17 at 02:01 PM.