Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do I clean these small little dot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 08:15 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
So I got my clay and was trying to clean those little dots with it, and it took forever to get rid of them, and I still coudln't get all of them. Am I doing something wrong? I was using the ONR as the Lubricant for the clay. Was that a bad idea?
Did you use the Iron x?
Old 12-18-16, 08:55 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

So I got my clay and was trying to clean those little dots with it, and it took forever to get rid of them, and I still coudln't get all of them. Am I doing something wrong? I was using the ONR as the Lubricant for the clay. Was that a bad idea?
That's the reason I told you to use Iron-X before you clay bar it... Going straight to clay barring is not only more dangerous on the paint, but also a waste of time and energy with all the chemicals available today.

Iron-X is expensive, but my time is more valuable to me. If it can save me hour(s) of work and allow me to finish a job with less fatigue, than it's a product I will use every single time.
Old 12-18-16, 09:42 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Did you use the Iron x?
No I didn't use Iron X yet. Was just using a Fine Grade Clay Bar I bought from Detailed Image and using ONR as a lubricant.
Old 12-18-16, 09:43 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That's the reason I told you to use Iron-X before you clay bar it... Going straight to clay barring is not only more dangerous on the paint, but also a waste of time and energy with all the chemicals available today.

Iron-X is expensive, but my time is more valuable to me. If it can save me hour(s) of work and allow me to finish a job with less fatigue, than it's a product I will use every single time.
But would Iron X too harsh on the paint and the CQ Finest coating? My car has CQ Finest coating on it.
Old 12-18-16, 09:58 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

But would Iron X too harsh on the paint and the CQ Finest coating? My car has CQ Finest coating on it.
This question was already answered...
Old 12-18-16, 10:07 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

Yea my bad. So after I sprayed the Iron X and wait 5 minutes, do I clay it at this time? or do I wipe the area off with ONR, and then start claying?
Old 12-18-16, 10:12 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Yea my bad. So after I sprayed the Iron X and wait 5 minutes, do I clay it at this time? or do I wipe the area off with ONR, and then start claying?
You have to rinse off the iron x off with a garden hose and get it all out of the crevices. Then spray on some clay lube and clay bar what's left of the specs. ONR should be fine as a clay lube at the proper dilution although it's not the best product to use as a lube.

I'd hit it with iron x twice. So rinse and dry after teh first time, then do it again. You might not even need a clay bar.
Old 12-18-16, 10:31 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

You have to rinse off the iron x off with a garden hose and get it all out of the crevices. Then spray on some clay lube and clay bar what's left of the specs. ONR should be fine as a clay lube at the proper dilution although it's not the best product to use as a lube.

I'd hit it with iron x twice. So rinse and dry after teh first time, then do it again. You might not even need a clay bar.
Instead of rinsing off the IronX, can I use ONR to wipe them off?
Old 12-18-16, 10:41 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

If you have no water source, I guess you can spray the onr directly from the bottle and force the iron-x out of the emblem areas and crevices as best as possible. Rinsing with a hose is going to be much easier , quicker, and more effective. However if that's not an option at all, you could try the ONR route although I would advice against it.
Old 12-18-16, 12:05 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Buy a pressurized spray bottle (kwazar bottles are nice). I use a pressurized spray bottle when I'm working in my garage or spaces I can't make a mess.
Old 12-18-16, 12:15 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Buy a pressurized spray bottle (kwazar bottles are nice). I use a pressurized spray bottle when I'm working in my garage or spaces I can't make a mess.
Pressurized spray bottle can be use to rinse with water?
Old 12-18-16, 12:59 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Iron X is made to be used with CQuartz products... just so you dont feel the need to ask again, Iron X is completely safe on any CQuartz Coating. All coatings are very chemical resistant. Products like bug & tar removers can lower the surface tension and therefore effect beading, however I do not know of a traditional cleaning chemical that would strip a coating... this is why we say abrasives are required to remove a coating and not just wiping with a solvent or something.

That's the reason I told you to use Iron-X before you clay bar it...
The OP has stated several times that his only way of cleaning the car at his residence is with rinseless or waterless washing which is why I omitted IX from my previous recommendations. I would not recommend using IX unless you can thoroughly rinse the treated areas with pressurized water.

I would not recommend this. I do like the idea of a hand held pressurized sprayer though. Since you're only treating a very small area, and not the entire car, this may be a work around for you in your water-less environment. You may also try to simply spray some IX onto a towel, then wipe the area gently to see if you can really keep the IX isolated to the small areas that have contamination.

If it were my car, I would just suck it up and know that every 3-6 months I will need to do a more thorough chemical decontamination process rather than worry about small particles it every 1-2 weeks.
Old 12-18-16, 01:21 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Pressurized spray bottle can be use to rinse with water?
Yeah, it'll be your best option since you can't use a hose. It was to be a pressurized sprayer since a normal spray bottle won't be strong enough to rinse all the ironx out of the cracks and crevices.

Or you could buy 1 gallon bottles of water and only dump it on areas you use ironx if you're washing outdoors.
Old 12-18-16, 02:14 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm in the same situation as you. Look for a car port car washing station with the pressure washers. Wash your car, iron x, and wash it with the hose! It should only cost you a few bucks
Old 12-18-16, 05:40 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Yeah, it'll be your best option since you can't use a hose. It was to be a pressurized sprayer since a normal spray bottle won't be strong enough to rinse all the ironx out of the cracks and crevices.

Or you could buy 1 gallon bottles of water and only dump it on areas you use ironx if you're washing outdoors.
What happen if the Iron X stay on those cracks and crevices?

Quick Reply: How do I clean these small little dot?