Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Glaze with Fillers For Lexus Onyx Black LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 04:39 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best Glaze with Fillers For Lexus Onyx Black LS430

Need some opinions on a really good glaze for soft lexus black paint. My paint has tons of gloss and overall good shape but being a daily driver and kept outside it's got its fair share of swirls and hairline scratches only visible in direct sunlight. Rather than buffing and removing clear on 12 yr old paint I just want a product I can apply by hand that will hide these. I don't mind reapplying once a month.

Even clean microfiber and applicators seem to make swirls when waxing. Need some opinions on best application for glaze and sealant.

Old 11-22-16, 02:19 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a glaze but it should be easier to apply with just a MF towel. Have you tried Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer? This is a product you can purchase over the counter and it usually cost about $10. I'm very amazed at how well it fills in the swirls and I have used it on soft black paint before.
Old 11-22-16, 06:01 PM
crislbcG35
Driver School Candidate

I recently tried Chemical Guys Blacklight after reading this article on DI. Worked great and with DA polisher, did remove very fine scratches and gave my 2014 is250 obsidian paint a really deep gloss. Chemical Guys also has tons of videos on Blacklight and how to apply on youtube or their site.
Old 11-22-16, 07:40 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by crislbcG35
I recently tried Chemical Guys Blacklight after reading this article on DI. Worked great and with DA polisher, did remove very fine scratches and gave my 2014 is250 obsidian paint a really deep gloss. Chemical Guys also has tons of videos on Blacklight and how to apply on youtube or their site.
Thank you. Blacklight and sonax nanotech look like good options. May have to pick myself up a dual action polisher and some pads to do it right.
Old 11-22-16, 07:43 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Not a glaze but it should be easier to apply with just a MF towel. Have you tried Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer? This is a product you can purchase over the counter and it usually cost about $10. I'm very amazed at how well it fills in the swirls and I have used it on soft black paint before.
Yes I have used that before. Works well but want something a little more professional grade that will fill better and last longer.
Old 11-23-16, 07:32 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you considered CarPro Essence?

When applied by hand, I have been told it is pretty capable of filling defects. Top it with CarPro Reload and you will have an outstanding looking vehicle as Reload will also mask defects very well.
Old 11-23-16, 10:45 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

When applied by hand, I have been told it is pretty capable of filling defects. Top it with CarPro Reload and you will have an outstanding looking vehicle as Reload will also mask defects very well.
I have heard good things about each. What type of applicator do you recommend for each of Those? Any specific foam pad or microfiber you Prefer?
Old 11-25-16, 08:56 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelfiris

Meg's Ultimate detailer fills in swirls? How long does it last tho?
Old 11-27-16, 09:12 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Sonax High Speed Wax has a TON of fillers in it. I remember being blown away by it on a jet black Porsche paint. It's a spray wax, but it's very thick and not exactly the easiest to work with. It's more like a liquid wax in the sense that you'd need a couple of towels to remove all the streaks. It's cheap and you can buy it on Detailed Image. I don't think I've ever used a wax that had more fillers than this one. We don't use the product at work at all since our business is paint correction, but for someone like you it's perfect.
Old 11-28-16, 12:28 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Sonax High Speed Wax has a TON of fillers in it. I remember being blown away by it on a jet black Porsche paint. It's a spray wax, but it's very thick and not exactly the easiest to work with. It's more like a liquid wax in the sense that you'd need a couple of towels to remove all the streaks. It's cheap and you can buy it on Detailed Image. I don't think I've ever used a wax that had more fillers than this one. We don't use the product at work at all since our business is paint correction, but for someone like you it's perfect.
I just ordered a bottle, so I can see how it works in person. Hopefully one of my friends will donate their black car for me to test it on.

Any ideas how long the fillers last?
Old 11-28-16, 08:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I just ordered a bottle, so I can see how it works in person. Hopefully one of my friends will donate their black car for me to test it on.

Any ideas how long the fillers last?
No idea. I noticed the new bottle says "new formula" on it. I hope it just means it's easier to work with and still fills a good amount. The bottle I tried was sent to our work as a sample by Greg at DI years ago.
Old 11-29-16, 08:27 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

I approve.
Been doing it for 2 years and Essence is capable of filling small defects. Awesome durability.
Old 11-29-16, 08:43 PM
crislbcG35
Driver School Candidate

What kind of pad would you recommend if only using CarPro Essence after claying? Followed up with Reload
Old 11-30-16, 05:45 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by crislbcG35
What kind of pad would you recommend if only using CarPro Essence after claying? Followed up with Reload
If your sole intention is to try to hide defects, and not correct them, I would use a soft pad like CarPro Gloss Pad or Griot's Perfecting Pad.

If you're looking to do some actual polishing to remove defects, you can use a variety of pads. Our favorite for light polishing is the Rupes Yellow Polishing Pad. If you want to bump up the cut, you can use it with a microfiber finishing pad or even a microfiber cutting pad depending on your paint.

Check out this article by James Melfi highlighting the Essence + Reload power combo...
Product Review: CarPro Essence + CarPro Reload by James Melfi
Product Review: CarPro Reload Si02 Quartz Spray Sealant by James Melfi
Old 12-02-16, 10:48 AM
crislbcG35
Driver School Candidate

Sounds good, thanks! I currently have a set of LC pads, in the near future I will try a blue pad first, and white for light polishing.

Quick Reply: Best Glaze with Fillers For Lexus Onyx Black LS430