Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anyone Try AutoSharp Pen for Paint Chips or Scrapes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-03, 10:42 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Try AutoSharp Pen for Paint Chips or Scrapes?

Anyone Try AutoSharp Pen for Paint Chips or Scrapes? Is it any good. On my Black 2001 GS 430 what is the paint code to order the AutoSharp Pen?
http://www.autovisuals.com/
Old 05-17-03, 10:59 PM
GS430|Moku
Driver

When you find out the code please post it. I had an encounter with a rock today on my way to San Francisco.

Why haven't they banned gravel trucks from using the middle lane in freeways? Or freeways in general? They need to stick to slower and less crowded roads.
Old 05-18-03, 03:28 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

The lexus paint code for Black onyx is 202, Just like what is said on the website for the pen.
Old 05-18-03, 09:50 AM
BCLIV
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone actually used this product? If so how did it do?
Old 05-18-03, 10:18 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

hey guys , i have the black 202 code and yes i got one about 2 weeks ago. this thing is everything and more that they describe . works very well , paint matches so well you will never know where you touched up unless you get to about and a inch or two away from the spot . the felt tip is 100% better then the brush method which is so hard to perfect.

get one , you will not be disappointed , but upon your first use dont press doewn to hard on the felt tip or paint will run in gobs , i found out the hard way

great product
Old 05-18-03, 11:38 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexforlife
hey guys , i have the black 202 code and yes i got one about 2 weeks ago. this thing is everything and more that they describe . works very well , paint matches so well you will never know where you touched up unless you get to about and a inch or two away from the spot . the felt tip is 100% better then the brush method which is so hard to perfect.

get one , you will not be disappointed , but upon your first use dont press doewn to hard on the felt tip or paint will run in gobs , i found out the hard way

great product
THanks for the the tip... I'm awaiting mine, I should have it in a couple of days...
Old 05-18-03, 11:46 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Does it really work because I'm thinking of repainting my hood in the summer and put Xpel on it?
Old 05-18-03, 12:08 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by RAristo
Does it really work because I'm thinking of repainting my hood in the summer and put Xpel on it?
Careful when you do this. If the paint is not completely cured, if you ever have to remove the Xpel, the paint will go with it. Kind of bad since you want Xpel on when the paint is in its best condition, not with chips a month or so down the road. This happened to me since I did not like how the install went on my TTE lip. I made them redo it but when they started to peel, the paint went too. Because of this, I did not bother with the few slight imperfections of the rest of the install. If the install is perfect and you don't plan to remove the Xpel, then you're golden. Otherwise, it's your call. Good Luck.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Just wanted to post a warning.

p.s. Upon rereading your statement, I am not sure if you are planning to touch up or repainting the whole hood. I had my whole front end repainted. If you are just touching up, ignore this.

Last edited by Neo; 05-18-03 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-18-03, 10:21 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good...I'm looking forward to ordering mine...
Old 05-20-03, 12:27 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone used this and tried langka before as well?
Old 05-20-03, 01:23 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by MrSypher
I'm awaiting mine, I should have it in a couple of days...
Ditto! I have a few little spots after some aggressive driving behind others driving aggressively this past weekend (pebbles thrown up). I'll be writing a review too in a week or so.
Old 05-20-03, 01:30 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Dex
Ditto! I have a few little spots after some aggressive driving behind others driving aggressively this past weekend (pebbles thrown up). I'll be writing a review too in a week or so.
promise?
Old 06-07-03, 04:19 PM
S-Lex-95
Rookie

Just received one in Jade (dark) green for 98 GS400. Overall rating pretty good. I have tried the touch paint from dealer and it is tough to work with. This stuff is very thin, and runny so you have to be careful when applying. On bare spots on hood, it covers and appears a little dark. On more normal small chips on hood that did not have so much bare metal exposed it looks very good. On bumper (plastic?) it does not cover well. On door it covered a long scratch pretty well. However especially on door it is easy to get several drops on surrounding area when tip is lower than tube of the pen (very thin and runny).
Previously the dealer sold me some "touch up magic" to smooth out the globs of pain you normally get when applying with the brush in dealer touch up paint. Tried this on the autosharp, and it did rub away some of the paint I just applied, so I had to then apply it again.

Overall it is much better results for me than the dealer touch up paint. The applicator (felt tip) makes it work out pretty good. Next step for me is to apply cleaner, polish, and wax. I am a satisfied customer.
Old 06-11-03, 09:19 AM
shadow
Driver

Default when to autosharp

would you use the pen after using a prewax cleaner or after appliying wax to the body
Old 06-12-03, 05:27 PM
S-Lex-95
Rookie

You have to use denatured or isopropyl alcohol on the spots you are going to paint, which removes the wax so paint can adhere. You might as well just wait till you apply paint and let it dry, and then wax the whole area. There is a brochure that comes with the pen with that information.

Quick Reply: Anyone Try AutoSharp Pen for Paint Chips or Scrapes?