Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Reccomend me a coating

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 01:44 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Reccomend me a coating

Looking to put some type of ceramic coating on my car in the not-so-distant future. I'm more worried about ease of application than I am about all-out protection or gloss in this case. The only coating I've put on anything in the past was a coat of CarPro DLUX that I put on a set of wheels. That being wheels with contours, edges, etc. I don't have a feel for how hard/easy that would have been to put on the relatively flat panels of a car. It worked great, but I probably wasted 3 times as much as I should have being a noob and trying to get all the nooks and crannies in the wheels.

Suggestions?
Old 10-28-16, 02:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I find CQuartz is relatively easy to apply. It's self-leveling so as long as you cover the paint surface, you're good. Just don't let it sit too long before wiping off the excess.
Old 10-28-16, 02:46 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

CQuartz is not a "self leveling" product... the fact that you have to wipe away all the residue means you must manually level it.

Most consumer grade coatings are quite easy to use, however there are some that are very easy to use... here are my favorites if ease of use is your main concern.

Optimum Gloss-Coat: A true self leveling coating. The vast majority of the residue will disappear on it's own, meaning there is very little wiping involved. Spread onto a panel, and lightly buff high spots after 1-2 minutes, then move on to the next panel. Up to 2 year durability.
Product Review: Optimum Gloss-Coat by Zach McGovern

22ple VX3: Very forgiving in that this coating residue is easy to wipe away and will not get tacky or finicky if you miss a high spot and need to wipe it away 15 minutes later. Simply wipe on, let sit for 3-5 minutes, then wipe away. 2 year average durability.
22ple VX3 Signature Glass Coating – Product Review and Application by Zach McGovern

22ple HPC: This coating goes on wet and begins to dry to a haze shortly after application letting you know it is time to wipe away (generally after 3-5 minutes). It is also very forgiving and easy to use. Rated at up to 4 years of durability.
22ple High Performance Coating (HPC) – Product Overview and Application by Zach McGovern

Hope that helps!

-Zach
Old 10-28-16, 03:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Apologies for that! I was thinking about the Opti-coat 2.0 I originally had.
Old 10-28-16, 04:51 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I was worried about the application process myself. Taking Zach's advice from his articles I went with the 22ple VX3. I couldn't be happier with the results as I coated both of my ES 350's along with the rims and door jams and still have enough in the 50cc bottle to do another vehicle at least. Great product to use and the results looked great.
Old 10-28-16, 05:22 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
CQuartz is not a "self leveling" product... the fact that you have to wipe away all the residue means you must manually level it.

Most consumer grade coatings are quite easy to use, however there are some that are very easy to use... here are my favorites if ease of use is your main concern.

Optimum Gloss-Coat: A true self leveling coating. The vast majority of the residue will disappear on it's own, meaning there is very little wiping involved. Spread onto a panel, and lightly buff high spots after 1-2 minutes, then move on to the next panel. Up to 2 year durability.
Product Review: Optimum Gloss-Coat by Zach McGovern

22ple VX3: Very forgiving in that this coating residue is easy to wipe away and will not get tacky or finicky if you miss a high spot and need to wipe it away 15 minutes later. Simply wipe on, let sit for 3-5 minutes, then wipe away. 2 year average durability.
22ple VX3 Signature Glass Coating – Product Review and Application by Zach McGovern

22ple HPC: This coating goes on wet and begins to dry to a haze shortly after application letting you know it is time to wipe away (generally after 3-5 minutes). It is also very forgiving and easy to use. Rated at up to 4 years of durability.
22ple High Performance Coating (HPC) – Product Overview and Application by Zach McGovern

Hope that helps!

-Zach
That was a good article on Opti Coat.. But, I have a questions if you don't mind. It says that, "Prior to applying the coating, the paint should be properly corrected and then wiped with isopropyl alcohol or CarPro Eraser to eliminate any residual polishing oils".

Does that mean my car has to be clayed, polished, rock chipped free in order to use this effectively? Reason I'm wondering if that I do have a few rock chips, and slight swirls here and there =\

The application process looks very easy.. or am I missing something lol.
Old 10-28-16, 05:39 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Rock chips have no effect on the coating, but you should have a swirl free finish as any defects beneath the coating will be a little more difficult to correct in the future as you will have to polish away the coating layer before you can remove the defects. It will not effect the performance of the coating if you have swirls beneath it, but it just makes sense that if you're going to take the time and effort to properly protect the finish, it should look amazing as well.

Application is very easy for Gloss Coat... hence why I listed it as my #1 pick for ease of use.

Just so that it is perfectly clear... Optimum Gloss Coat is NOT the same as Optimum Opti-Coat. Opti-Coat is a professional only product, and Gloss Coat is a consumer grade coating.

-Zach
Old 10-28-16, 05:46 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I just used Gloss Coat the other day on this 750 LI... the vehicle underwent a full paint correction and was finished with GC after wiping with Optimum Paint Prep.

The coating application took me under an hour on this large sedan... keeping in mind I do a lot of coating installs so I can move pretty quickly.

Optimum Gloss Coat is a very nice product when ease of use, gloss, and slickness are high on your requirements.
Old 10-28-16, 05:47 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Rock chips have no effect on the coating, but you should have a swirl free finish as any defects beneath the coating will be a little more difficult to correct in the future as you will have to polish away the coating layer before you can remove the defects. It will not effect the performance of the coating if you have swirls beneath it, but it just makes sense that if you're going to take the time and effort to properly protect the finish, it should look amazing as well.

Application is very easy for Gloss Coat... hence why I listed it as my #1 pick for ease of use.

Just so that it is perfectly clear... Optimum Gloss Coat is NOT the same as Optimum Opti-Coat. Opti-Coat is a professional only product, and Gloss Coat is a consumer grade coating.

-Zach
Ohhh I see. Another question if you don't mind lol. Off topic..

Pros and cons with Gloss Coat vs Wax?

Is it okay to wax when there are slight swirls/rock chips in paint?
Old 10-28-16, 06:07 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by nathantse
Ohhh I see. Another question if you don't mind lol. Off topic..

Pros and cons with Gloss Coat vs Wax?

Is it okay to wax when there are slight swirls/rock chips in paint?
The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

You can use a coating, sealant, or wax over swirl marks or rock chips. Again, neither will effect performance.

In order to get the best durability from your coating, the prep work must be done perfectly... this means a very thorough cleaning process, then decontaminating the paint with chemicals and detailing clay, then at the very least a light polish, followed by wiping with a solvent to remove any residual polishing oils. My theory is that if you want your vehicle to look its best, you might as well take the time to correct the imperfections (swirl marks) prior to coating. If the swirls do not bother you, or you do not plan on taking the time to properly maintain the vehicle after coating, then don't bother doing the correction work.

-Zach
Old 10-28-16, 06:23 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

You can use a coating, sealant, or wax over swirl marks or rock chips. Again, neither will effect performance.

In order to get the best durability from your coating, the prep work must be done perfectly... this means a very thorough cleaning process, then decontaminating the paint with chemicals and detailing clay, then at the very least a light polish, followed by wiping with a solvent to remove any residual polishing oils. My theory is that if you want your vehicle to look its best, you might as well take the time to correct the imperfections (swirl marks) prior to coating. If the swirls do not bother you, or you do not plan on taking the time to properly maintain the vehicle after coating, then don't bother doing the correction work.

-Zach
Well my car is white, and swirls are hard to see. I've made the mistake of letting the dealer wash the car. I do a two bucket method with grit guards and MF mitt. Rock chips are nothing major, you will see it if you go close and look for it.

I rarely have time to keep up with maintenance. What I normally do is wash it every 1-2 weeks, and clay every 2-3 months.

I've been researching a lot about paint protection, since I didn't get a clear bra in the beginning.

Wax seems like the easiest way to go?

* Note that I am a newbie when it comes to detailing.
Old 10-28-16, 08:07 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get Carpro Reload sealant if you don't want to do a coating! Should last 3-4 months.Easier to apply and lasts longer than wax.

Originally Posted by nathantse
Well my car is white, and swirls are hard to see. I've made the mistake of letting the dealer wash the car. I do a two bucket method with grit guards and MF mitt. Rock chips are nothing major, you will see it if you go close and look for it.

I rarely have time to keep up with maintenance. What I normally do is wash it every 1-2 weeks, and clay every 2-3 months.

I've been researching a lot about paint protection, since I didn't get a clear bra in the beginning.

Wax seems like the easiest way to go?

* Note that I am a newbie when it comes to detailing.