Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best detailer in the San Diego, CA area??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 04:44 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
Hey man, thx for the response. So what considered to be a good quality Microfiber cloth? I bought some from Chemical Guys, are those considered good quality ones?
There are so many brands and private detailer brands are selling them. It's hard to find and stick to one really good quality one.
Chemical guys towels are ok. They're far from the worst, but I wouldn't consider them great.

Currently, this is my favorite drying towel. https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...crofiber-towel

2nd place would go to the DI towel http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/

Another way to prevent scratches is to use a bunch of towels to blot dry instead of wiping the water off of your car. If I don't use a blower, then I'll sheet the water off, lay towels all over the car and let it absorb the water, then remove the 1st layer of towels and use a dry towel to blot dry the left over water.
Old 10-25-16, 06:07 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Chemical guys towels are ok. They're far from the worst, but I wouldn't consider them great.

Currently, this is my favorite drying towel. https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...crofiber-towel

2nd place would go to the DI towel http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/

Another way to prevent scratches is to use a bunch of towels to blot dry instead of wiping the water off of your car. If I don't use a blower, then I'll sheet the water off, lay towels all over the car and let it absorb the water, then remove the 1st layer of towels and use a dry towel to blot dry the left over water.

Hey man thx for the microfiber towel infos. But how did you find out about these towels? and how do you know if trhey're better than the other brands out there? thx.
Also, I'm planning to have my new IS200T coated with CQuartz Finest. Do you think the coating will also help reduce the chance of the scratches when drying with Microfiber towel? assuming i'm using the best towels like the ones you suggested.
Old 10-26-16, 06:03 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

So in the guide it said uses a good quality Microfiber cloth to dry the car after washing. But I thought drying with Microfiber cloth or whatever Microfiber weave will scratch the paint no matter what? Unless I dry my car with an air blower or water Sheeting. But I still see a lot of guides out there telling ppl how to properly wash the car but most of them use Microfiber to dry the car?
Not necessarily... you have to do it properly, of course, and use quality products. The risk of light scratches are certainly higher when drying the car vs washing the car as there is more dry friction. You want to use a spray detailer to help provide additional lubrication between your towel and the surface of the vehicle when drying... and always use VERY LITTLE PRESSURE. Just the weight of your hand is all that is needed when washing or drying. Additional force will increase the risk of scratching.

In general, you should sheet as much water off of the vehicle as possible, then blow dry or towel dry the rest. Even if you blow dry, there is likely going to be some small spots that need to be wiped with a plush towel and quick detail spray.

I live in an apartment so I can't wash my car right outside the parking, there is no source of water faucet and there's no power outlet for electric to hook up those Blower to dry the car. So I always have to go to a DIY carwash. So is there a solution where I can wash my car with my own good carwash soap besides going to a carwash place? thx.
Sure you can! You need to learn about rinseless washing. All you need is one bucket of water that you can fill up inside your apartment and carry outdoors, then a stack of towels for washing, and a drying towel. There are plenty of great youtube videos explaining this process out there already... just search for "Rinesless Car Wash".

If you go to the DIY car wash, I would not recommend touching your vehicle with a drying towel afterwards as the pressure washing will not remove all of the dirt, so if you rub a drying towel on the car, you will be rubbing the dirt against your paint which will lead to scratches. Just finish with a spot free rinse and call it good enough, or follow up with a rinseless car wash to remove the remaining dirt.

Also, I'm planning to have my new IS200T coated with CQuartz Finest. Do you think the coating will also help reduce the chance of the scratches when drying with Microfiber towel? assuming i'm using the best towels like the ones you suggested.
CQuartz Finest will provide very minute amount of scratch resistance, but it is not really something you will notice. The major benefit to this coating, and other nano coatings, is how easy it is to remove dirt and dust from the surface. The vehicle will also be much easier to dry as the coating is very hydrophobic, so 90% or more of the water should slide right off the car if you're doing it properly. Do some research about CQuartz Finest on the website --> www.cqfinest.com

I am a CQuartz Finest installer and I use it on my own car as well... check out a couple videos we've taken

Old 10-26-16, 09:31 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Hey man thx for the microfiber towel infos. But how did you find out about these towels? and how do you know if trhey're better than the other brands out there? thx.
I go based off of recommendations on forums. Both of these sites are very reputable vendors that sell high quality products.

I buy a lot of products to test. I'm sure there are better towels on the market that I haven't tried, but for now these are my favorites. My main concern when judging drying towels is absorbency. The towel that can absorb the most water off the car consistently is my favorite.

Buying high quality towels is just the first step. You have to learn how to handle, store, and clean the towels properly to take full advantage of them.
Old 10-26-16, 10:30 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Buying high quality towels is just the first step. You have to learn how to handle, store, and clean the towels properly to take full advantage of them.
Preach!

The Best Microfiber Towels for Cleaning Your Exterior by Zach McGovern

I've heard nothing but amazing things about the newer Griot's Garage PFM Drying Towel. It's expensive, but I have been told it will blow every other drying towel out of the water when it comes to absorbency..... waiting to get my hands on some for testing.
Old 10-26-16, 01:50 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I've heard nothing but amazing things about the newer Griot's Garage PFM Drying Towel. It's expensive, but I have been told it will blow every other drying towel out of the water when it comes to absorbency..... waiting to get my hands on some for testing.
I'm adding that towel to my wish list for the next time I need to get detailing supplies.
Old 10-26-16, 09:46 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Not necessarily... you have to do it properly, of course, and use quality products. The risk of light scratches are certainly higher when drying the car vs washing the car as there is more dry friction. You want to use a spray detailer to help provide additional lubrication between your towel and the surface of the vehicle when drying... and always use VERY LITTLE PRESSURE. Just the weight of your hand is all that is needed when washing or drying. Additional force will increase the risk of scratching.

In general, you should sheet as much water off of the vehicle as possible, then blow dry or towel dry the rest. Even if you blow dry, there is likely going to be some small spots that need to be wiped with a plush towel and quick detail spray.

Sure you can! You need to learn about rinseless washing. All you need is one bucket of water that you can fill up inside your apartment and carry outdoors, then a stack of towels for washing, and a drying towel. There are plenty of great youtube videos explaining this process out there already... just search for "Rinesless Car Wash".

If you go to the DIY car wash, I would not recommend touching your vehicle with a drying towel afterwards as the pressure washing will not remove all of the dirt, so if you rub a drying towel on the car, you will be rubbing the dirt against your paint which will lead to scratches. Just finish with a spot free rinse and call it good enough, or follow up with a rinseless car wash to remove the remaining dirt.

CQuartz Finest will provide very minute amount of scratch resistance, but it is not really something you will notice. The major benefit to this coating, and other nano coatings, is how easy it is to remove dirt and dust from the surface. The vehicle will also be much easier to dry as the coating is very hydrophobic, so 90% or more of the water should slide right off the car if you're doing it properly. Do some research about CQuartz Finest on the website --> www.cqfinest.com

I am a CQuartz Finest installer and I use it on my own car as well... check out a couple videos we've taken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnvqqFt_418&index=67&list=PLN6MixPwOLMLhl_qhi-JoCv1VPEssgOQ2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXXZhgwrkb4&index=66&list=PLN6MixPwOLMLhl_qhi-JoCv1VPEssgOQ2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no11MlhzO4k&index=29&list=PLN6MixPwOLMLhl_qhi-JoCv1VPEssgOQ2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7pgVClUwno&index=22&list=PLN6MixPwOLMLhl_qhi-JoCv1VPEssgOQ2
Thanks again for the detail infos. So here is my car wash plan after I got the car coated with CQ Finest.
Im going to the DIY car wash station, Rinse it with High Pressure, then Finish it with Spot Free Rinse. Then I'm gonna do a Rinseless car wash the whole car. Then use CarPro Reload . What do you think? Would any of those step hurt / damage the CQuartz Finest coating?

Also, what about the rims / wheels? Can I use those Rinseless stuff for the wheels as well? such as the Optimum No-Rinse product?

Last edited by jincuteguy; 10-26-16 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-27-16, 04:39 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Thanks again for the detail infos. So here is my car wash plan after I got the car coated with CQ Finest.
Im going to the DIY car wash station, Rinse it with High Pressure, then Finish it with Spot Free Rinse. Then I'm gonna do a Rinseless car wash the whole car. Then use CarPro Reload . What do you think? Would any of those step hurt / damage the CQuartz Finest coating?
There is no real need to use Reload after each car wash, but it will not hurt anything if you do. You may choose to dilute reload 1:1 to make it more cost effective if you're going to use it several times each month.

Also, what about the rims / wheels? Can I use those Rinseless stuff for the wheels as well? such as the Optimum No-Rinse product?
Of course, you can use rinseless wash on your wheels as well. Due to the fact that wheels are usually very dirty, I would recommend purchasing some cheaper towels for this task. Make these your dedicated wheel washing towels, and never use them on paint or any other delicate area.
Old 10-27-16, 08:11 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

There is no real need to use Reload after each car wash, but it will not hurt anything if you do. You may choose to dilute reload 1:1 to make it more cost effective if you're going to use it several times each month.

Of course, you can use rinseless wash on your wheels as well. Due to the fact that wheels are usually very dirty, I would recommend purchasing some cheaper towels for this task. Make these your dedicated wheel washing towels, and never use them on paint or any other delicate area.

Regarding the Optimum No-Rinse wash, can I just spray it directly to the car and then start wiping off? Or do I have to dilute it first like 1:1, 1:2, etc before I can use it on the car?
Old 10-27-16, 09:44 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Regarding the Optimum No-Rinse wash, can I just spray it directly to the car and then start wiping off? Or do I have to dilute it first like 1:1, 1:2, etc before I can use it on the car?
I don't know if there would be an adverse effect from using ONR at 100%, but the product is designed to be diluted. For instructions on using ONR look up "Gary Dean Method"
Old 10-27-16, 12:23 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Optimum No Rinse is a rinseless wash. To use it properly, dilute it in a bucket and soak microfiber towels or a wash mitt of your choice in the solution, then wash the vehicle one panel at a time, drying each panel before you move on to the next one.

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Add 1 oz. of ONR Concentrate to 2 gallons of water in a bucket.
  2. Soak Microfiber Towel or wash mitt in the bucket and then wash one section at a time till the area is clean.
  3. Dry each section with Drying Towel.
  4. If surface dries before wiping clean, just wash again and dry,

If you want a product that will allow you to spray on, and wipe off (no bucket needed), then you are looking for a waterless wash. Optimum makes Opti-Clean for this situation. Simply spray liberally onto a panel, then wipe with a damp/wet, plush towel, followed by a drying towel. This method uses no buckets, for a truly waterless washing experience.

While both methods have been proven to be safe when done properly, I personally prefer rinseless washing as I feel safer with the added lubrication of a soaked towel. Just my opinion though.

-Zach
Old 10-27-16, 08:45 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Recently or when?

I know they have expanded quite a lot in the past year or two... I hope they are maintaining the same quality that they have always been known for. Wes is a "master installer" for CQuartz Finest and has always put out great work from what I have seen, but I am not sure how much he actually works on vehicles anymore.

The other option in the area is www.luxautodetailing.com, though I do not know the owner personally... but as an authorized Finest installer, they should be very reputable. CarPro is very selective.

I think OP messaged me on yelp. I recommend Nolan for sure! My next car will likely be coated by him if I decide not to do it myself! He fixed a couple of scratches a few months ago. I was surprised it was fixable!
Old 10-27-16, 08:49 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by popping
Sorry foot in mouth. It was lux he wasn't impressed with. Just said the the guy seemed super rushed, and didn't have his own place. He rented space from someone else's shop.
That was not Lux but people who used his shop.I'm sure he's glad they're gone! Think he operated under SD Auto Shine or something. Lucky I had a good experience with the detail at least.
Old 10-27-16, 10:49 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
That was not Lux but people who used his shop.I'm sure he's glad they're gone! Think he operated under SD Auto Shine or something. Lucky I had a good experience with the detail at least.
Just got my new IS200T Ultra White / Roja red coated with CQuartz Finest by Nolan today. Have to wait at least a week to wash it to see how good it is. Nolan is the guy with knowledge and do good work according to you guys right?
Old 10-28-16, 08:36 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

Regarding the Optimum No Rinse wash, they're selling 2 types: No-Rinse Wash & Shine, and the other one called No-Rinse Wash & Wax. So which one is more appropriate for me to use since my car has CQuartz Finest now?

Also can I use the McQuire Quick Detail spray to clean any small dirty area? For example, let say I washed my car yesterday, and then today there's some dust on top of the hood, can I use the Mcquire Quick Detailing spray to get rid of it?
Or what would be the best way for this? Like I just wanna clean the car really quick even though it's not really that dirty.

Quick Reply: Best detailer in the San Diego, CA area??