Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Taking car to the car wash

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 12:22 AM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Taking car to the car wash

I don't have a personal garage and live in SF where I park my car in a public garage so my only option is to take my car to the car wash when it's dirty. For a newer car, should I take it to a soft cloth or a touch free car wash? Anything else I should be aware of?
Old 10-02-16, 08:41 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Take it to a self serve car wash.
Old 10-02-16, 02:16 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Nothing like living in a free country. Sorry I couldn't help it.
Old 10-02-16, 02:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What color is your car???? If its black, pay somebody who knows what they are doing to wash it by hand.
Old 10-02-16, 04:59 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
What color is your car???? If its black, pay somebody who knows what they are doing to wash it by hand.
Grey. Is it because car wash places don't do a good of a job or because it's risky?
Old 10-02-16, 08:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Most car washes, especially those with brushes, will put swirl marks and scratches in your paint. I've used the "touchless" type before when it was dead of winter and I had a ton of salt on the car, but only in a pinch. They're IMO better than the brush types because nothing actually touches your paint. Black is the worst for showing swirl marks, grey isn't as bad and kind of hides some imperfections in the paint.

The thing about car washes is they aren't going to get your car as clean as doing it by hand. This all gets back to how picky you are, and how long you are going to keep the car. If its a 1 or 2 year lease and you're going to get rid of it then, this isn't that important. I tend to keep my cars forever and I'm a bit OCD about the paint. Probably goes back that I used to detail cars professionally in high school and college as a side gig.
Old 10-16-16, 06:27 PM
808newbie
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Automated car washes... just think to yourself how does the car wash determine how dirty the car is. it cant. imagine a truck thats been in mud vs a car thats just dirty from daily use or a car that hasnt been washed in a year. automated car washes use the same concentration of soap to clean each car
so usually they use a stronger soap to clean the car for the extra filthy cars. i would find someone locally who details cars and pay them to do it since you dont have access to a hose. pay them extra to polish and wax it. once thats done maybe just use a waterless car cleaner or something weekly to give it a decent shine
Old 10-16-16, 08:02 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

one 5 gallon bucket, a 1 gallon bottle of ONR, 32 oz. spray bottle(for pre soak of ONR solution) some quality MF towels... for piece of mind. do it yourself. have not been to a carwash in years... it gets easier the more you do it. done right it will take you 20 minutes to a half an hour to wash your car.
Old 10-17-16, 07:25 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
one 5 gallon bucket, a 1 gallon bottle of ONR, 32 oz. spray bottle(for pre soak of ONR solution) some quality MF towels... for piece of mind. do it yourself. have not been to a carwash in years... it gets easier the more you do it. done right it will take you 20 minutes to a half an hour to wash your car.
+1 OP, you can google rinseless wash solutions and try that. Can be done in a parking lot and outside. Its the go-to solution for a lot of people that lives in condos/apartments

If you have to use a car wash, always choose touchless.

I prefer to use a local coin wash for a good rinse (never the brushes), then drive home and use the method described by sydtoosic
Old 10-17-16, 01:36 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ THIS!

During the winter months here on the east coast, I'm forced to shut off my water supply to the exterior faucets. So I typically will take my cars through a touchless car wash to blast away the heavier debris like salt/sand and road grime prior to washing with ONR.
Old 10-17-16, 02:25 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I used to visit a touchless during the winter when I lived in the north. I'd follow up with a UQD wipedown and UQW. The UQD would remove anything remaining and the UQW would keep up the protection. Results were no swirls and the car sparkled.
Old 11-15-16, 11:09 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

+1, gelly blade and grit guard and some good quality car shampoo.
Old 11-15-16, 11:38 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

Do these Self Service Carwash let you use a WashMitt and clean your car while you spraying soap on the car? I know they don't allow you to use "Bucket", i think 100% DIY carwash prohibited Bucket.
Old 11-15-16, 12:03 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
Do these Self Service Carwash let you use a WashMitt and clean your car while you spraying soap on the car? I know they don't allow you to use "Bucket", i think 100% DIY carwash prohibited Bucket.
They usually don't, I used to go there in some really odd hours (late at night and early morning) so I would use anything I wanted.
Old 11-15-16, 12:41 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
They usually don't, I used to go there in some really odd hours (late at night and early morning) so I would use anything I wanted.
Wait they don't let you use buckets and you still did it late at night? isn't that against the law if you get caught?

Quick Reply: Taking car to the car wash