Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

exterior steam wash, and waterless wash

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-16, 01:53 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default exterior steam wash, and waterless wash

Hi all,

I don't have space and set up to wash myself. There are some mobile services around who advertise a "steam exterior" cleaning rather than ordinary water wash. They use the steam to clean both exterior and interior. Any comments about cleaning the exterior in this way? an example is:

http://edenautogroom.com

Other places, whether a brick and mortar place or mobile services use one of these "waterless" washing solutions that supposedly picks up the dirt , lubricates, and conditions and waxes the paint surface all in one go.

Are these worth trying, or just gimmicks? The problem with both is that they tend to be pricey. or is it best to just try to find a place that uses old fashioned water and does a hand wash?
thanks
Old 09-25-16, 08:04 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Im no professional dealer but I've seen these steam cleaners in person. My issue with it is the fact that the ones I've seen steam and wipe the paint. I fear this could be dragging the dirt particles across the paint because there isn't anything really washing it off. On darker cars i think it could turn it into a swirled mess. Especially the soft obsidian black like my car.
Old 09-25-16, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The waterless wash options do work well, I've used them for years, products like Optimum No Rinse, etc. The steam I have my concerns about.
Old 09-25-16, 09:10 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

yes - indeed they do follow the steam right with a wipe.
I am worried about scratching too.
In theory, the "waterless" solutions make a bit more sense as they can lubricate, but I still wonder about scratching if you are wiping dirt particles around.

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Im no professional dealer but I've seen these steam cleaners in person. My issue with it is the fact that the ones I've seen steam and wipe the paint. I fear this could be dragging the dirt particles across the paint because there isn't anything really washing it off. On darker cars i think it could turn it into a swirled mess. Especially the soft obsidian black like my car.
Old 09-27-16, 02:48 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I just never understood the steaming the exterior. I just don't get the whole trend. I think you would be bette off going through a touchless car wash. To prevent swirls and scratches, less contact with the paint is better. So if you are going to be steaming then running a towel over it, why not just wash the car with two buckets properly and make it looks nice. We also have the steamers here but I never understood their reasoning. I don't think it gets the paint any cleaner, if anything I would say less because you are not using a steady stream of water to flush the dirt off the surface. The inside I could totally see it being a great tool.
Old 09-29-16, 05:00 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Thanks for the input everyone. I found a local detailer guy who does some work for Jay Leno (not sure how often but he has at some point )...He will also do routine washes with waterless solution so gonna go with him. Not cheap, but did a great job with first wash I did.
I will avoid the steam.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The waterless wash options do work well, I've used them for years, products like Optimum No Rinse, etc. The steam I have my concerns about.
Old 09-29-16, 05:58 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

All those options sound like great ways for paint or clear coat to be removed.
Old 09-29-16, 06:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dicer
All those options sound like great ways for paint or clear coat to be removed.
LOL, I can't vouch for the steam cleaning but modern "waterless" (hoseless is a better term, still use a bucket of water) washes work great and don't harm the paint. I've been using them for 15 years or so.
Old 09-29-16, 09:24 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

I've used some truly touches automatic washes where the machine just sprays water and detergent at the car. The problem is that if your car really is grimy, the dirt just does not come off with high pressure water/soap alone. Maybe its a california thing, but without much rain, the car just slowly builds up a combination of dust and oily grime on the exterior (not sure exactly why - road fumes and exhaust from trucks perhaps?).

The only way to get this grime off is with some rubbing. Even if I were to do it myself with soap and water and a bucket, some rubbing is going to be needed with a sponge or something. I suppose what can be controlled is whether the sponge is clean or not.... but swirls will still be possible.
So I figure, if this guy is good enough for Jay Leno to trust with his classic cars, I'll give him a try for a while.......and after all, its only an ES300h

LOL, I can't vouch for the steam cleaning but modern "waterless" (hoseless is a better term, still use a bucket of water) washes work great and don't harm the paint. I've been using them for 15 years or so.
Old 09-29-16, 09:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's not what we're talking about here, we're talking about a hoseless wash like Optimum No Rinse or Protectall Quick and Easy Wash. you still use a bucket of water and a wash mitt, you just don't rinse the car. You wipe with the mitt and the solution and then dry panel by panel.
Old 09-30-16, 07:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I use a rinse-less wash pretty much all winter long. I use Optimum No Rinse in the comfort of my garage and it works great. If you use it properly, you're fine. I've seen people do much more damage with a bucket and hose. As with any cleaning technique, proper methods must be used.
Old 09-30-16, 09:15 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Ah I see. I think this is the type of stuff the guys used at the detailing place. They sprayed it out of a spray bottle, then wiped, and dried. no rinsing.

I suppose I could do this myself and then no need for hoses etc at home. I assume then you can wash your mitt afterwards in the washing machine?

That's not what we're talking about here, we're talking about a hoseless wash like Optimum No Rinse or Protectall Quick and Easy Wash. you still use a bucket of water and a wash mitt, you just don't rinse the car. You wipe with the mitt and the solution and then dry panel by panel.