Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best way to fix scratch

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 09:10 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Best way to fix scratch

Hello my fellow Lexonians,

Practically over night, a couple of long but pretty shallow scratches appeared on my 2016 ES 350 ( a month old). On the right side below the hood right above the wheel. I have no idea where they came from. Looks like it penetrated through the paint, you can feel the gap with your hand.

Would Dent and Ding insurance take care of this? What would be the best way to proceed? I might leave it alone, if not for the fact that
it's so new, and it's a leased car.

Thanks once again, J. Loftus
Old 09-12-16, 11:14 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

This question gets asked very frequently, so please refer to existing threads which contain the similar questions and answers before creating a new thread. It helps future users find information if we can keep it all in one place

Here is a response regarding scratch removal from this thread.
Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Here is how it works when it comes to removing defects in your paint (specifically scratches)...

If the scratch has NOT penetrated the clear coat, it can be repaired relatively easily using abrasives such as compound, polish, and/or sand paper depending on the severity of the scratch.

If the scratch has penetrated the clear coat, exposing the base coat, primer, or substrate then the only way to repair it is to apply paint to the area. This can be as simple as applying touch up paint if you want a quick and inexpensive cover up, or if you want it to look like new, a body shop would need to refinish the entire panel.

Looking at your photos, it is difficult to tell how severe the scratches are. The whitish color leads me to believe they are not simply light scratches, but it is not always an indication that the clear coat has been compromised.

Here is how you should proceed....

Purchase the following if you do not already have them (or similar) on hand:
- A good cutting compound (I recommend Meguiar's M105)
- A good finishing polish (I recommend Meguiar's M205)
- Some high quality microfiber towels
- A microfiber applicator
- A foam applicator

How to remove scratch by hand...

First, thoroughly wash and dry the car. Pull the car into the garage, or into the shade, and make sure the paint is nice and cool before proceeding.

Assess the scratches by gently rubbing your fingernail over it. If your fingernail easily catches the scratch, it may be too deep to remove with this technique, so do not attempt. Find scratches that are light enough that they do not easily catch your fingernail.

Apply a small amount of cutting compound to your microfiber applicator. Rub the compound over the scratch using moderate pressure. Work the compound for 30 seconds or so, then wipe the residue away and inspect your results. If needed, repeat this step once more. If the finish is hazy, apply some polish to your foam applicator pad and rub it against the paint in a similar manner, but using a little less pressure. This should restore clarity to the paint.

*Note - Please understand that removing scratches means you are removing clear coat. The deeper the scratch, the more clear coat needs to be removed. If you remove too much clear coat and expose the base coat, the only way to fix the damage is to repaint the area. This is not likely to happen with this process, but it is worth understanding the potential risks involved*

If you are feeling up to the challenge and want to tackle some of the deeper scratches that have not penetrated the clear coat, wet sanding is involved and the risks are significantly higher. Let me know if you want some guidance on that.

-Zach
Old 09-12-16, 01:42 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.