Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Polished out fingernail scratches behind door handles

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 12:40 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Mine has these scratches pretty bad. I don't have crazy 'nails' I'm a dude, and I didn't know I was even hitting the door that bad with my fingers. This whole car scratches so easy it pisses me off. I've had black cars that didn't scratch as bad as this silver one lol
I scratched my hood with an eyelash on my Obsidian GS.
Old 08-29-16, 01:29 PM
trancein
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LatinGSF
Yes, probably finger nails.
LOL, i totally wrote that wrong, what I meant to say was did the scratches come out by hand buffing or did you need to some how to get a tool in there like a dremel type with a buff pad at the end. If by hand looks like that is alot of elbow grease needed to get into that area.
Old 08-29-16, 02:22 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
I scratched my hood with an eyelash on my Obsidian GS.
If my silver is ****, I couldn't even imagine how horrible a Lexus with black exterior would be...
Old 08-29-16, 02:26 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by trancein
LOL, i totally wrote that wrong, what I meant to say was did the scratches come out by hand buffing or did you need to some how to get a tool in there like a dremel type with a buff pad at the end. If by hand looks like that is alot of elbow grease needed to get into that area.
Lmao! I kinda thought you meant how I got them off. No tools, just by hand 😁
Old 08-29-16, 06:03 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trancein
Yes, buff by hand. It won't take much to remove the surface imperfections. There MAY be some deeper scratches that you can't get (only you'll notice), but a rotary tool would cause more harm than good.
I have the same scratches on my Starfire White, so I think any color is prone to get them. I need to get some smaller pads for my polisher to do the trunk. I use the interior "pocket" of the trunk to close it, but the previous owner wasn't careful. Looks GREAT!
I think all modern paint is very easily scratched. My motorcycle gets a scratch if I sneeze near it
Old 08-29-16, 07:20 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has these scratches pretty bad. I don't have crazy 'nails' I'm a dude, and I didn't know I was even hitting the door that bad with my fingers. This whole car scratches so easy it pisses me off. I've had black cars that didn't scratch as bad as this silver one lol
its also hard to see on the silver depending on the light. so one time you might think there are no new scratches but then in another shade of light you see ten million scratches.
Old 08-29-16, 07:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

If my silver is ****, I couldn't even imagine how horrible a Lexus with black exterior would be...
My 2013 GS was silver, 40,000 miles and it looked great, no scratches. Ran through a carwash too.

Lexus paint chips easily, but I've never had an issue with it scratching easily outside of their non clear coated blacks.
Old 08-29-16, 08:48 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I have black and tell me about the scratches, I was looking for grey or silver but couldn't find the options.
Old 08-30-16, 04:43 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Sweet u should get the front bumper done also.
Funny, hadn't even checked that, but sure enough, front bumper is done too. So all set!

I registered with Lexus and checked the service record on my vehicle. The orig owner was religious with the service visits, and on every other visit he/she had Lexus detail the car. A very well maintained car for sure. My only complaint is that Carmax (I work for them and the employee discount is worth it) put new tires on the car and they are a brand name I don't recognize, so probably cheap. Oh well, since they are new, they'll last a while until I decide which tires I want to put on.
Old 08-30-16, 09:22 AM
jdigga99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LatinGSF
Yes, probably finger nails.
I think the previous owner of mine wore at least 3 to 4 rings on each hand every day...i swear there are scratches behind each of the door handles. Plus my GS is black so of course they show easily.
Old 08-31-16, 09:26 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow. great job man. now im gonna try on mine.
Old 08-31-16, 09:31 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by UngBuck
wow. great job man. now im gonna try on mine.
Thanks! Be sure to post your results!
Old 09-05-16, 12:57 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DP03
Funny, hadn't even checked that, but sure enough, front bumper is done too. So all set!

I registered with Lexus and checked the service record on my vehicle. The orig owner was religious with the service visits, and on every other visit he/she had Lexus detail the car. A very well maintained car for sure. My only complaint is that Carmax (I work for them and the employee discount is worth it) put new tires on the car and they are a brand name I don't recognize, so probably cheap. Oh well, since they are new, they'll last a while until I decide which tires I want to put on.
Tires are easy. If you have a staggered RWD F Sport get Michelin Pilots. Ride smooth, dig in hard on warm pavement and don't scream all the time like worn out Potenzas.
Old 09-05-16, 06:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Same here, I have lots of scratches there and I don't even feel that I touch the paint, but obviously I do. What I don't understand is how can relatively soft finger nails scratch paint that should be a harder surface.
Old 09-05-16, 07:08 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

As someone who gets to work on cars of all makes and models, I will tell you that I have never seen a car that does not have these scratches under the door handle..... except those that are brand new, of course. It is just one of those things that happens. It is very easy to fix once a year or however often you wish to mess with it.