Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How often do you wax your vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 04:27 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default How often do you wax your vehicle?

I own a 2015 GS350 F-Sport White and I wax every 3 to 4 months using the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Car Wax which is a combination carnauba wax and paint sealant. I also condition the leather at the same time intervals. I live in South Florida and it rains almost every day on and off during the Summer months so I find it difficult to do it more often. The vehicle maintains a great shine and water always beads up quite well even when I am approaching the 3-4 month mark.

I'm interested in finding out how often others wax or detail their vehicles.

I searched the forum for a similar thread and couldn't find one so I hope I am not posting a duplicate.

Thank You
Old 07-23-16, 09:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Maybe it's time for you to switch from wax to spray-on coating like Carpro Hydro2. It'll last 3 months, but the application is so easy. I haven't touched wax in years.

I use this on top of my ceramic coating, but you can apply it to bare paint.
Old 07-24-16, 02:20 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

GSteg,

Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated. I will look into that product.
Old 07-24-16, 03:56 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Ceramic coating is the way to go last longer an gives u that wet look . Do it yourself unless u have money to spend . At detail shops it's exspensive to get done , good thing I have a friend that has a detail shop but just heads up I put 4 coats on mine then wax on top

Old 07-25-16, 04:24 AM
KMG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is little value added when placing a wax on top of a coating. You're better off using a product like Carpro Reload, Gtechniq C2V3 and 22ple VS1 which are spray sealants and more intended to be used as a topper on a coating every few months. I have never really seen any need for putting a wax on any of my cars that have coatings as they always looked great with just the coating. I do like that ISf though, sweet looking car.
Old 08-10-16, 08:42 AM
thehank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waxing is for mothers in minivans. Doesn't last long, can be exhausting, and more risk of installing swirls in the paint. If anything, you should apply wax by hand, instead of with a pad. You can feel if you pick up any residue which may scratch. You'd be surprised.

As Gsteg mentioned, get a spray/rinse sealant as it's ten times easier and actually protects your vehicle. Then just apply it again lightly every month if you'd like. You can do it to wheels, paint, and windows. It's awesome on windows.
Old 08-11-16, 09:38 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thehank
If anything, you should apply wax by hand, instead of with a pad. You can feel if you pick up any residue which may scratch. You'd be surprised.

Well, one would assume that prior to waxing/sealing your paint, the surface of your paint will be clean of contaminants. I don't know about you, but my hands are rough and heavily calloussed. Applying wax by hand would induce more scratches than anything. Not to mention that if you have finger nails, you have a high probability of accidentally marring the paint as well.

With that said, some wax manufacturers recommend bare hand application due to the oils used within the wax. This is however only for a small niche of waxed out there.

Last edited by VTsuckah; 08-11-16 at 09:42 AM.