Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wheel Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-16, 08:48 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Wheel Scratches

So I recently discovered these after my last detail. The car has been in a number of hands - paint correction guys, tint, etc. - so I have no idea who did it or how. There's a number of these faint scratches on a number of the spokes. The strange thing is that all the scratches are uniformly in the same place on the wheels.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to remove them and I can remove them myself (or should I take it to a wheel repair shop)? The scratches are not fingernail deep...

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Scratches-wheels1.jpg   Wheel Scratches-wheels2.jpg  
Old 07-03-16, 06:51 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Are the wheels bare metal? or are they clear coated?

Since you say they are very shallow, they should polish out relatively easily. Do you have any polish on hand? If they are clear coated, any automotive paint polish will do. If it is bare metal, a metal polish would be preferred.

Simply apply some polish to a microfiber towel, and work it into the area that is scratched using moderate pressure and going back and forth over the defects.
Old 07-15-16, 08:02 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Are the wheels bare metal? or are they clear coated?

Since you say they are very shallow, they should polish out relatively easily. Do you have any polish on hand? If they are clear coated, any automotive paint polish will do. If it is bare metal, a metal polish would be preferred.

Simply apply some polish to a microfiber towel, and work it into the area that is scratched using moderate pressure and going back and forth over the defects.
These are the factory RC-F wheels, so I believe they're bare metal. Any way for me to be sure? And do you recommend a specific polish (Megs, Mother's, etc.)? Thanks Zack!
Old 07-15-16, 12:42 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Most factory wheels are going to be clear coated... bare metal wheels are just too much maintenance for most people. If you want to check, throughly clean the wheels, then use a paint polish (Meguiar's M205 or similar) on a white cloth. If the polish residue turns the towel dark or black, then the wheels are bare metal. If the polish residue remains the color of the polish, then it is clear coated.