Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Rinseless Washing vs. Foam Washing

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-16, 09:08 AM
Silveon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rinseless Washing vs. Foam Washing

I am new so I keep seeing both options, what is everyone's go to and why?

Rinseless washing option seems a lot cheaper for me since the Optimum Rinse is like $15-$20 (and they eve have the one where it is green and waxes too?)

I am not even sure how foam washing operates, but i need some sort of machine that ive seen goes for like $150+!

Correct me if i am wrong
Old 06-18-16, 07:32 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Foam washing is completely optional... never needed.

The two variants will be rinseless washing, and traditional washing. Both have their place, and both work great.

Read about traditional 3 bucket wash method by clicking here.

I strongly suggest you read through this Detailing Guide to help answer all of your questions from this thread and your other thread.

-Zach
Old 06-18-16, 09:21 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What is foam washing? Foaming up the car first with a cannon or foam gun?

I always do a traditional 2 bucket wash with car shampoo on my car, use a foam cannon when needed.

It's definitely safer because my pressure washer removes 90% of the embedded dirt, bugs, and bird crap before I even touch the paint, plus you can rinse out dirt from all the crevices which an ONR wash is near impossible to do, never gives you a thorough cleaning. ONR wash to me is just a tad safer than using a quick detailer and MF towel.

Do an ONR wash on your car and tell me how your mitt looks afterwards.... black. Because you are not rinsing it out like you are with actual shampoo and 2 buckets. We used to do solely ONR washes at work for about 2+ years and got tired of it. Now we do ONR washes maybe 25% of the time if a car comes in super hammered with swirls and is getting a paint correction, so this method is fine because you're not really gonna damage a paint that's already F'd and is about to get corrected. All maintenance washes get a normal wash, if the car is heavily soiled, those also get a normal wash.

Both have their place, if my car is just dusty, I'd be okay with an ONR wash as long as it's not a dark color that shows swirls right away from one bad wipe.

Best thing you can do is polish your paint, coat it, and do the normal wash method and dry it with forced air like the metrovac 8hp blower, that is by far the safest and easiest way to do it. No drying towels needed.
Old 06-18-16, 10:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

The proper way to do an ONR wash is without mitts at all... use several plush microfiber towels. Soak the towels in the ONR solution until fully saturated, then grab your first towel and fold it into quarters. You now have 8 clean sides of a towel to use for washing with this one towel. Lightly wipe a section, and flip to a clean side of the towel as needed so you are never using a dirty towel to wash the car. Repeat until the towel has been completely used up and then grab another towel. This process was originally referred to as "The Gary Dean Wash Method".

It makes rinseless washing GREAT! Aside from the downfalls you mentioned, like not being able to clean as effectively in cracks/crevices, this rinseless wash process is extremely quick and safe. I maintain both of our dark cars (my sgm and my wifes jet black) vehicle this way and they are swirl free. Traditional washes were done as needed, but the majority of the time it was rinseless washes.

There are pros and cons either way. Just have to find what works best for you and your lifestyle.
Old 06-18-16, 07:06 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

^ what Z said... Been using the GD method for years. I will still pre soak the hell out of the car with an ONR solution (via Kwazar sprayer)... Then begin with the multiple towels soaked in solution. Although when I dry I spray Kenotek SRS on a waffle weave drying towel and dry her down...
Old 06-18-16, 08:26 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Post a video on a Jet Black Porsche you doing that. Before and after on a freshly corrected car. Shine the light on it.
Old 06-18-16, 09:01 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Fresh out of Porsches at the moment... not trying to prove anything to anyone... I know Syd maintained his Obsidian lexus and is probably pickier with his paint than I ever will be, so his word is worth more than mine in this conversation.

It is a very safe wash method when used at the right time and when done properly. Don't have to take my word for it, but I encourage you to give it a shot if you'd like.
Old 06-18-16, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've used ONR for years, when used properly it doesn't induce marring. The product is quite incredible the way it encapsulates and emulsifies the dirt.

I always feel like the car is cleaner after a bucket wash, but theres no safety difference between ONR and a bucket wash assuming each are performed properly.
Old 06-20-16, 08:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I use an ONR wash during the winter and a traditional 3 bucket wash in the summer. Both are great.