Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clay Bar and Waxing

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 08:48 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clay Bar and Waxing

Curious if anyone has clay barred their cars and have any before / after?

Mine is 2008 and I'm thinking this type of treatment might make the paint look amazing.

Anyone?
Old 06-02-16, 10:17 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Having the paint look amazing is a multi-step process. Claying the car will simply remove contaminants from the paint. The next step would be polishing to remove paint defects and waxing to get that rich shine.

You could clay your vehicle and call it a day, but if you're going for amazing, I highly recommend all three.
Old 06-03-16, 09:19 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi OP... as previously mentioned, using detailing clay is just one part of the detailing process.

A clay bar is meant to remove bonded surface contamination in order to produce a smooth, and truly clean surface. This should be done after the vehicle has been properly washed, and should be followed up with polishing and then the protection of your choice (wax, sealant or nano coating).

For more information on the decontamination process, check out these articles I wrote:
Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 1) by Zach McGovern
Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 2) by Zach McGovern

For more information on the entire detailing process, check out the Detailed Image Detailing Guide.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Zach
Old 06-03-16, 09:24 AM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Oh man, awesome! Thank you so much! My post was not very clear, but my subject line sort of hinted at the wax too. I know that it should be washed / clay'd / waxed / buffed. I was hoping to see some user images that have done this to 2006-2009 era where our paint is a bit older. Thanks so much for your links, I will read them!
Old 06-03-16, 09:30 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Here is one picture of my 03 after washed/claying/and wax
Attached Thumbnails Clay Bar and Waxing-image.jpeg  
Old 06-03-16, 10:16 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What color is your car? Mines a black 2007 IS and if you didnt know your IS models youd think its brand new. I get compliments all the time on my car and all my work is done by hand. Do this, clay, mothers cleaner polish, your choice of wax. Spray wax after each wash and keep up on your washes. Dont let your car go like a lot of slobs.
Old 06-03-16, 06:56 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

its smoky granite mica and it's 2008.. its very very good looking but its 8 years old and as far as i know its never been clay barred. i am going to research this and either do it mysefl or pay a local dude to come out and do it.. i cool insipirado story on your 2007!!

I see the brand new 2016 chevy crappy econo cars on the road and the paint is just GLOWING and SHINING.. i want mine to look like a chevy econo 8K car. just kidding, i want my paint to look brand new.
Old 06-04-16, 06:46 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SwedeMetal
its smoky granite mica and it's 2008.. its very very good looking but its 8 years old and as far as i know its never been clay barred. i am going to research this and either do it mysefl or pay a local dude to come out and do it.. i cool insipirado story on your 2007!!

I see the brand new 2016 chevy crappy econo cars on the road and the paint is just GLOWING and SHINING.. i want mine to look like a chevy econo 8K car. just kidding, i want my paint to look brand new.
Youll need a machine if you want professional results. I consider my work a step below a professional. From 5 feet away the car looks amazing. But when you get up close you can still see fine swirls and scratches. But the steps I listed are a great and cheap way to bring life back to your paint. I suggest claying one weekend. Then doing the cleaner polish and wax the next. Its a lot of work and i spend at least 5 hours when doing my car. But you only need to do it twice a year. Post pics when your done
Old 06-04-16, 07:15 AM
Coleroad
Racer

When you get done claying the paint, Clay the windshield. It will help your blades last longer with less chatter.
Old 06-04-16, 10:42 AM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Need some help buying the product... Clay, Lube? Chemical Guys stuff?

What suds/wash do you use? I do not plan on getting super nuts with pressure washer and foam gun and all of the silly stuff I have seen on youtube. Im going to use normal city water and a hose and a bucket.

Need recc's on SUDS, CLAY BAR, LUBE. how do i know what clay bar hard, medimu soft? 2008 is350.

and then whatever product is meant afterwards.... a wax? a polish? a sealant? my paint will be "vulnerable" rigth after a clay job, right?

So i suds it, wash it, dry it, lube it, clay it. And yes, I will clay the glass to. Once I am clayed all over what is the next step? I'm basically going to dedicated an entire saturday to this.
thanks so much.

sorry for all the total noob questions. i have been a $5 drive thru car wash guy my whole life, but this lexus deserves better. nicest car I've owned yet.
Old 06-05-16, 01:36 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

What suds/wash do you use? I do not plan on getting super nuts with pressure washer and foam gun and all of the silly stuff I have seen on youtube. Im going to use normal city water and a hose and a bucket.

Need recc's on SUDS, CLAY BAR, LUBE. how do i know what clay bar hard, medimu soft? 2008 is350.

and then whatever product is meant afterwards.... a wax? a polish? a sealant? my paint will be "vulnerable" rigth after a clay job, right?

So i suds it, wash it, dry it, lube it, clay it. And yes, I will clay the glass to. Once I am clayed all over what is the next step? I'm basically going to dedicated an entire saturday to this.
thanks so much.

sorry for all the total noob questions. i have been a $5 drive thru car wash guy my whole life, but this lexus deserves better. nicest car I've owned yet.
Wash it, clay, then wash again. Then apply a polish with some cleaning abilities. Then top with ur wax of choice. Meguiars ultimate liquid wax is excellent on dark cars. You can find all these products at walmart, target, or auto store. It took me 7 hours yesterday just to polish and wax. It was killer but my car looks like it just came out of the spray booth.
Old 06-05-16, 01:50 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Just buy a mothers, or meguiar's clay bar kit. It will work great and contain everything you need. I would buy meguiar's ultimate compound if you just have light imperfections.

Last edited by Coleroad; 06-05-16 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 05:40 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks so much.

Best deal I've seen: http://smile.amazon.com/Mothers-0724...s=mothers+clay

Then I'd go with Griot's waxes and polishes. My black looks like it's wet.
Old 06-07-16, 12:18 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Hey dude bros... What about GRIT GUARDS? Do i need to buy them? Sounds like they will fit in the $2 home depot orange bucket, so is step 1 for a wash to buy two home depot bucks and two grit guards? use one bucker for clean water and another for the soap suds?

what is the suds of choice around these parts.. and as for CLAY, do i need MEDIUM for my IS350?
Old 06-07-16, 12:29 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes get those grit guards for sure along with the spinning lids for a tight seal from contaminants. The type of clay depends on the contaminants you are removing. Why not just buy the one I already linked? Can't go wrong under $20, if you aren't happy with the results then you can get more aggressive.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar and Waxing