Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clay Bar and Waxing

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 01:03 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Yes get those grit guards for sure along with the spinning lids for a tight seal from contaminants. The type of clay depends on the contaminants you are removing. Why not just buy the one I already linked? Can't go wrong under $20, if you aren't happy with the results then you can get more aggressive.
+1. Clay or compound is go the least aggressive that will get the job done. You can always go more aggressive if the need is there. If you go more aggressive and you didn't need to, you are making more work for yourself. Pulse plus you can't put the clear back on you needlessly removed.
Old 06-07-16, 01:13 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

First of all make sure you wash the car using a 5 gallon bucket with grit guard, if you don't have one, I would invest in one if you wash your car on your own.

Clay bar, I like Wolfgang and their clay lube, many other good brands available as well.

If your car doesn't have swirls and scratches, you can go directly to final polish with a blue pad.

I end it with Rejex sealant, it gives very good shine (especially on dark colors) and protects better and longer than regular wax.

You can then top it off with Carnauba wax if you wish.
Old 06-12-16, 08:54 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Here you go... check this thread where I just did the process to my mom's 2001:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-day-late.html

Pics included.
Old 06-30-16, 09:41 AM
LexusinBoi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I gathered two recommendations for SGM:

Meg's Ultimate Liquid Wax
Griot's wax

Any other recommendations to try that compliments the paint?
Old 06-30-16, 12:43 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusinBoi
So I gathered two recommendations for SGM:

Meg's Ultimate Liquid Wax
Griot's wax

Any other recommendations to try that compliments the paint?
The absolutely honest truth is this... any wax, sealant or coating will only slightly enhance the appearance of your vehicle. The most important part in enhancing the gloss and clarity in your paint is the paint correction / machine polishing process to ensure the paint is mostly free of defects. A properly polished vehicle will look stunning regardless of what wax, sealant or coating is used.

So - don't spend too much time figuring out what type of LSP you want to use. Instead, invest some time and money into understanding the paint correction process so you can maximize your efforts.

-Zach
The following users liked this post:
k20trick (05-12-17)
Old 07-01-16, 09:09 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

What polish do you suggest for a white car or does it not matter.
Old 07-01-16, 11:26 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
What polish do you suggest for a white car or does it not matter.
I'm actually surprised you haven't done a ceramic coating yet. That would be the best IMO
Old 07-01-16, 11:56 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

if you don't want to use clay bar, i have the nano skin sponge. Its like clay bar but not disposable. They also have one you can put on a DA polisher or a towel. I have had good results with it.
Old 05-10-17, 03:19 PM
Wantboost
Driver School Candidate

So is Lexus paint soft ?? I'm afraid to attempt to clay bar it . I have poorboys polish with carnuba looking to use it. But afraid maybe have too much abrasive??
Old 05-10-17, 05:55 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Wantboost
So is Lexus paint soft ?? I'm afraid to attempt to clay bar it . I have poorboys polish with carnuba looking to use it. But afraid maybe have too much abrasive??
Detailing clay is a non-abrasive substance... it can cause harm if/when it picks up bonded contaminates and those are rubbed against the paint. This is why it is important to knead the clay and fold it to a clean area regularly.
The following users liked this post:
k20trick (05-12-17)
Old 05-11-17, 09:15 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Imho, I really think for a daily driver it is extremely important to clay if needed (new or used) and put a quality sealant on the car and maintain protection going forward (this is a level 10 finish to most people). You should only need to spot clay and this will protect your finish in the long run, truth is most of the owners cant maintain a perfectly polished finish, hell they cant even maintain protection, that's why it is important to start from bottom, come up with a game plan, learn how to touch your paint so that when you are ready to correct it, it will last a long time. When you polish your paint are making a commitment to stop all the bad habits going forward, Im no expert however I have seen when cars were corrected and week later owners will take it to the drive through wash or even wipe the car dry with a microfiber with one week's worth of dirt on it, proper maintenance is key.
Old 05-11-17, 01:51 PM
Wantboost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k20trick
Imho, I really think for a daily driver it is extremely important to clay if needed (new or used) and put a quality sealant on the car and maintain protection going forward (this is a level 10 finish to most people). You should only need to spot clay and this will protect your finish in the long run, truth is most of the owners cant maintain a perfectly polished finish, hell they cant even maintain protection, that's why it is important to start from bottom, come up with a game plan, learn how to touch your paint so that when you are ready to correct it, it will last a long time. When you polish your paint are making a commitment to stop all the bad habits going forward, Im no expert however I have seen when cars were corrected and week later owners will take it to the drive through wash or even wipe the car dry with a microfiber with one week's worth of dirt on it, proper maintenance is key.
so what do u use and what's use game plan ...
Old 05-11-17, 05:05 PM
k20trick
Instructor

I keep it simple, seal the car every month or two depending on how the paint feels and maintain it weekly with a rinse less wash using Optimum No Rinse and about 15-20 quality microfibers in rotation and topping with meguiars xpress spray wax as drying aid.

Now that I have a coating I'll probably change the xpress spray wax to carpro reload.
Old 05-19-17, 07:15 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SwedeMetal
Curious if anyone has clay barred their cars and have any before / after?

Mine is 2008 and I'm thinking this type of treatment might make the paint look amazing.

Anyone?
There have been many good comments here and I'm sure you'll develop your routine.

A comment on clay barring. I've clayed my cars for years with great results. I didn't realize how big a difference it makes until yesterday when I helped my kid with his car.
He bought a VW Golf R a year ago and it turns out that he never got around to waxing it. The car is now turning 1 yr old and we decided to clay it first. The crap took about an hour longer to clay out than it would have had he waxed the car. I was stunned how much crap was embedded in the paint. The day before I had done my wife's car which was a picnic by comparison.

It got done the paint looked much better and I followed it up with Chemical Guys JetSeal polymer paint sealant.
Followed by Chemical Guys Pete's 53 Carnuba with polymers. MeGuiar's NXT2 wax is another one I like.

Here's a pic of my wife's car. I should have taken the shot later in the day with the sun lower.

Name:  ES%20waxed%20rear%20left_zpslrdtjmqq.jpg
Views: 2223
Size:  275.8 KB

Last edited by EJC; 05-20-17 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-20-17, 02:50 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by EJC
There have been many good comments here and I'm sure you'll develop your routine.

A comment on clay barring. I've clayed my cars for years with great results. I didn't realize how big a difference it makes until yesterday when I helped my kid with his car.
He bought a VW Golf R a year ago and it turns out that he never got around to waxing it. The car is now turning 1 yr old and we decided to clay it first. The crap took about an hour longer to clay out than it would have had he waxed the car. I was stunned how much crap was embedded in the paint. The day before I had done my wife's car which was a picnic by comparison.

It got done the paint looked much better and I followed it up with Chemical Guys JetSeal polymer paint sealant.
Followed by Chemical Guys Pete's 53 Carnuba with polymers. MeGuiar's NXT2 wax is another one I like.

Here's a pic of my wife's car. I should have take the shot later in the day woth the sun lower.

Looks good I see you like chemical guys products!

After trying coating, I can see whey their getting big, heres one I just did with Optimum Gloss Coat, not a Lexus but still looks great!:

Name:  IMG_3568.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  182.3 KB

Quick Reply: Clay Bar and Waxing