Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cloudy Headlights on a 2010 RX 450 H

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 10:04 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloudy Headlights on a 2010 RX 450 H

Hi all, purchased my 4th Lexus last year a certified 2010 RX 450 H. Of course when I purchased it the headlights were nice and clear more than likely from detailing and like all my other Lexus's has begun to get cloudy, a little over 1/3 of both lights to be exact.

Its a complete downer when a vehicle you otherwise really enjoy and pay a lot of money for begins to look a lot older than it is because of cloudy headlights. My questions:

Is there any way these headlights can be replaced under the certified warranty? I know there was a class action suit that covered RX's up to 2009 but I don't see anything past that.

If not does anyone else have this issue with their 2010 and up RX? How did you handle it?

The Hybrid headlight has a blue tint to it. I've read a lot of people suggest sanding the top layer of the headlight and then sealing it with a coat of uv protection. Will this effect that blue tint or is that from something internal?

Last if I do go the sanding route I'm assuming that could potentially void my certified and extended warranty?

All help is greatly appreciated
Old 06-01-16, 07:31 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

Any auto parts store or even Wal-Mart has a large selection of headlight restoration kits. I suggest you check out some of the kit reviews on Amazon and try one of those before sanding your headlights.
You can also hunt for used headlight assemblies on eBay or Rancho Cordova used Lexus parts (google the name) Rancho Cordova will be able to tell you which years fit your car.
Finally, you never know about warranty coverage until you go to the dealer and ask.
Old 06-01-16, 09:57 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself there are places that should charge less than $50 to have this fixed.

I personally never had this issue with any of my vehicles, I wash and polish them often, maybe you should look into better care for your vehicle to prevent this from happening again after you have it fixed. My '10 450h headlights are surprising clear, I still put a layer of wax on them this past weekend as I detailed/waxed the whole car.
Old 06-01-16, 01:07 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I used this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Power...estoration+kit

Worked well. I wouldn't immediately jump to sanding the lights though. In more cases than not, the lights polished out nicely with the included wheel and compound. If the lights are showing signs of blistering, then it may be time to sand. The instructions say to use the heaviest grit first, then follow by the lighter one. It also says to use a straight back and fourth motion. I found a circular pattern to work best and hides the marks best. If you use the lighter grit first, you may not need the heavier, unless the lights are is poor condition. They don't appear that way from the photo.

Once polished out, you can have clear bra applied and they will remain shiny. Without it, you'll have to continue to polish them with the compound every other washing or so.

Don't push too hard and take your time. You'll be happy with the results. Good luck.
Old 06-01-16, 01:54 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

My German Car's plastic headlight lenses yellowed and diffused the light quite disappointingly - and the car was garaged.

I tried at least three of the chemical remedies before surrendering to the most intrusive method - sanding.

After careful reviews of comments relating to the various solutions on sale, I settled on:

Upon starting on my first step of my first light, though I'd made a HUGE mistake - as when sanding off the protective coating (which, I'm convinced, is the problem), it looks like you've done irreparable harm; however, the second and third stages fully and finely finish the lens to a near-new look.

The kit requires a 1/4" drill; and I've been able to do at least four good-sized headlights from a kit ($25).

I've done eight lenses with very good results. The kit in the photographs is my third.

I have found that the repair is temporary (1 year), is quickly repeated (due, I think, because the lenses are coated initially with a hard sand-resistant coating - and I also think that it is that coating that ages in the sunlight) because you only sand through the coating once. I have not tried any of the clear coat paint methods for maintenance/protecting the lens - but do wax the lenses hoping that it will retard oxidation.

I also use one of the liquid products (don't want to walk to the garage again to document) that supposedly protects from UV damage - but I only use it because I have it (it didn't work to de-yellow as promised) - not because I'm convinced it does anything.
Old 06-02-16, 11:46 AM
mshumack
Driver

Once you get the headlights clear again, put some UV protectant on them. Do this every couple of months if you live in a sunny state (i.e. FL, TX, etc.). I use the "Wolfgang" products, but the others should work as well.

http://www.autogeek.net/headlight-lens.html
Old 06-03-16, 03:12 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprisingly toothpaste worked well on my 12 year old camry.

Old 06-05-16, 09:19 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Unfortunately this happens to just about all newer cars that use poly carbonate for headlights. Whatever they put on the headlights to protect them fails and the headlights turn milkey then yellow. Wet sanding and polishing will make them look brand new again but it won't last too long because they have no more protection and will yellow pretty soon. Adding waxes or sealants help but depending on your headlight design and exposure to sunlight they normally don't last long. Opti Lens increases protection but it is not permanent either though they are easier to maintain with Opti lens and polishing is easier and more effective then if it is not on. I wish they would offer what they use at the factory to seal headlights.

There is a company called Spray max that makes a 2K aerosol clear and they make a product for headlights, that is what I would look into for more permanent protection for faded headlights once they are polished to look good as new. 2K clear is very strong and will last years but you will need to either remove the headlights or protect the rest of the car when you apply it and you will need a respirator. .
Old 06-05-16, 01:46 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 360LexusEs
Hi all, purchased my 4th Lexus last year a certified 2010 RX 450 H. Of course when I purchased it the headlights were nice and clear more than likely from detailing and like all my other Lexus's has begun to get cloudy, a little over 1/3 of both lights to be exact.

Its a complete downer when a vehicle you otherwise really enjoy and pay a lot of money for begins to look a lot older than it is because of cloudy headlights. My questions:

Is there any way these headlights can be replaced under the certified warranty? I know there was a class action suit that covered RX's up to 2009 but I don't see anything past that.

If not does anyone else have this issue with their 2010 and up RX? How did you handle it?

The Hybrid headlight has a blue tint to it. I've read a lot of people suggest sanding the top layer of the headlight and then sealing it with a coat of uv protection. Will this effect that blue tint or is that from something internal?

Last if I do go the sanding route I'm assuming that could potentially void my certified and extended warranty?

All help is greatly appreciated
Try this, its quick, easy, and cheap. Get a microfiber applicator. They have more bite then foam. Get meguiars plastic polish and put some effort into it and do two coats. Just about all that haze should be gone. Top with a sealant. It will last about two months then reapply. Ive done the sanding but it comes back but a lot worse. Supposedly after you do my method or sanding you are suppose to apply a clear coat over the lights to prevent recurring. I have not found a clear coat yet but im looking into it and will try this summer.
Old 06-06-16, 03:22 AM
KMG
Driver School Candidate

It is hard to tell from pictures a lot of the time how much is actually needed to make this type of repair. I would say you could possibly fix that with a heavy compound followed by a polish. I would then order some Carpro DLUX to apply over the lens which should keep them in good shape for a few years.

Here are a few examples to show you the process. The first example is for light that are in very poor condition and require sanding.

Restore Your Heavily Oxidized Lenses by Kevin George

Quick and Easy Headlight Restoration
by Ivan Rajic
Old 06-12-16, 09:25 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

That's actually not a bad hazing. You could tackle it with some Turtle Wax rubbing compound and a microfiber applicator. Would take some repeated applications and some elbow grease. I've used Mothers headlight restoration with the ball on the drill and it works good also. I'd start with the least abrasive method and see if that works first. Yours don't look bad enough to start with the sandpaper first. Good luck.