Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How Much Genuine Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 06:51 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Much Genuine Leather?

I searched in here, and the Lexus website, and my window sticker, and my paperwork I cannot pin down exactly what is genuine leather in my RX and what is fake. Also what is "Nuluxe" and is that a form of real leather or fake? I know the seats are "leather trimmed" per the window sticker, but what else is?
I know that trim along the doors and console is super soft stuff what ever it is, as well as the sides of the wheel.
For reference I have the RX FWD with this extras package:
-blind spot monitor w/rear cross traffic alert
-touch free hatch
-heat/vent seats
-12.3 nav w/enform
-intuitive parking assist
-premium pkg=leather seats/power mirrors/driver seat&wheel&mirror memorizer/rainsense wipers/aluminum roof rails
-moonroof
-espresso walnut trim
-espresso walnut heated wheel
-cargo net, mat wheel locks & key glove

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-27-16, 05:44 AM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nuluxe is synthetic leather so there's your answer.
Old 05-27-16, 08:29 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Thanks for your reply. But I was also trying to see if anyone knew what other interior parts were genuine leather besides the seats. I'm guessing the shifter, wheel, dash pad?
Old 05-28-16, 03:48 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Do not know for sure but I suspect that the seat faces, armrests and steering wheel are about it.
Old 05-29-16, 03:50 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Thanks Greg-I hope someone at my dealer can define which parts are hide when I go in for 1st service-I really would like to know so I can give it the best care I can that is specifically for leather.
This RX is really growing on me and I plan on keeping it a long long time so it's only the best care for the long haul
Old 05-30-16, 02:11 PM
PBurke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where is the leather ?

I have the premium package and want to clean the interior properly. Does anybody know where the leather is with the premium package. do I just use vinyl protectant ?
Old 05-31-16, 12:23 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

The doors, dash, console armrest, sides of seats, and possibly the headrests are all "NuLuxe".
Old 05-31-16, 06:13 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtrue28
The doors, dash, console armrest, sides of seats, and possibly the headrests are all "NuLuxe".
Do you have a source for that or are you just wild-guessing like the rest of us?
Old 06-02-16, 08:46 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Id just use leather cleaner and conditioner to all leather and vinyl surfaces. Been doing it to all my cars and they all wore well throughout its life. You dont need to buy vinyl conditioner and leather conditioner separate.
Old 06-02-16, 08:51 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Id just use leather cleaner and conditioner to all leather and vinyl surfaces. Been doing it to all my cars and they all wore well throughout its life. You dont need to buy vinyl conditioner and leather conditioner separate.
That's the correct answer.
Old 06-02-16, 09:17 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Agree 100%.

Most important is to keep it clean. Just wiping with a damp microfiber towel after vacuuming is what I do weekly and one a month I use a McGuires "natural shine" product that does not leave things shiny. I like my leather/vinyl to be soft but not shiny.
Old 06-02-16, 10:04 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice! Right now I have the stuff from the dealer called PermaPlate Premium Plus. I applied an extra coat the first week I had the RX even though they supposedly applied it too at the dealer. That Meguires brand is very good! I use their stuff for tires and trim and have used the Scratch-X on the truck with great results.
Old 06-03-16, 08:41 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
Do you have a source for that or are you just wild-guessing like the rest of us?
It's very easy to tell what is "leather" and what is not.

So the seating surfaces, the steering wheel, some of the gear shifts are all real leather. It's not much these days. Feel the difference between your seat and the material that attaches to the gear shifter. You'll feel the difference.
Old 06-03-16, 04:43 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtrue28
It's very easy to tell what is "leather" and what is not.

So the seating surfaces, the steering wheel, some of the gear shifts are all real leather. It's not much these days. Feel the difference between your seat and the material that attaches to the gear shifter. You'll feel the difference.
I think they did a really good job with the fake stuff because I find it hard to decipher between the two but I get your point.
Old 08-02-16, 07:55 PM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yep, use same product on both...

Yep, use same product on both...Leather and Vinyl.
+1 for years and many cars.

Last car I owned THAT HAD A 100% REAL LEATHER DASH WAS A 1981 PORSCHE 911 SC...btw...THAT DASH WORE TERRIBLY AND WARPED..Looked awful after a couple of years in the heat! The Porsche got English "Hide Food"...did not help!

Quick Reply: How Much Genuine Leather?