Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

best products for severe oxidation/dullness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 01:30 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best products for severe oxidation/dullness?

hey guys, i have a 98 black sedan and the paint is very dull. i don't think the paint is peeling yet so i'm hopeful but after trying mother's clay bar and step 1-3 polish and wax on one spot i saw negligible results. i think i tried some meguiars ultimate compound with similar results, but having only rubbed the products in using my back i'm wondering if using a polisher would provide a drastic difference.

so i'm not quite sure what each different type of product does and it seems like different companies call the same type of product something different. i think i may need something more aggressive and an auto parts store associate told me to try meguiars mirror glaze, which has a stronger cut, or to even use sand paper.

i'm sure everything i'm asking has been answered somewhere this forum before but in my experience it takes a long time and the information is disorganized, and even meguiars website is unhelpful. would appreciate if someone could explain really quickly what the difference is between a compound, polish, cleaner, and whatnot or just what product(s) i should be using. also please mention something if the product could damage the paint so i don't end up worse off than before. TIA!
Old 05-10-16, 05:30 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Compound - liquid which contains more aggressive abrasives to remove more material and cut quicker
Polish - liquid which contains finer abrasives in order to refine the finish and improve gloss and clarity
Cleaner - typically a wax which contains very light abrasives

All of these types of products can damage your paint if used incorrectly.

Here is an article on restoring faded single stage paint by hand....
The Secret to Removing Oxidation

... that is a bit of an old school and very drawn out process of how to restore some luster into single stage paint. In reality, a cutting compound & pad on a machine is much easier. Even ultimate compound by hand should have made a noticeable difference if you were rubbing like crazy... but working by hand will never compare to using a machine. I would recommend a basic dual action polisher like the Griot's 3rd Generation Random Orbital, Paired with a cutting pad, and M105 followed by a polishing pad and M205.

The following vehicle was restored using similar products and process.
Name:  20150617-DSC_4120_zpsnpeobmo6.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  709.7 KB

Hope that helps
-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 05-10-16 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 06:00 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

thanks for your "detailed" response zach! so it sounds like the different products mostly are the same thing and have the same functionality but some are just coarser or finer than others except for the wax that may have some kind of protecting/sealing properties?

i'm not sure if the car is single stage paint or not, but i would like to use a polisher because it would make things easier -- as long as it doesn't damage the paint. so will there be a dramatic difference between using these products and the ones i already tried (or was it the rubbing that left undesirable results)? this ultra cut seems pretty intense, would i be better off trying something lighter and using something more abrasive as needed or are you pretty sure? i don't know if these liquids, the lower the grit, have more ability to damage the paint or not.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 05-11-16 at 06:15 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary quote
Old 05-11-16, 06:22 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

No, the products are all different, that was the point of my various descriptions

As I mentioned, all of these things can damage your paint if used incorrectly. You'll need time and practice with a polisher to maximize your results. It sounds like it may just be easier for you to consult with a local professional.

To test if your car is single stage, get a white applicator pad and apply some white colored polish to it. Rub the polish onto the paint. If your pad turns black, you have single stage paint. If not, then you have clear coat.

Can you provide photos of the damaged area?
Old 05-12-16, 08:32 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
No, the products are all different, that was the point of my various descriptions

As I mentioned, all of these things can damage your paint if used incorrectly. You'll need time and practice with a polisher to maximize your results. It sounds like it may just be easier for you to consult with a local professional.

To test if your car is single stage, get a white applicator pad and apply some white colored polish to it. Rub the polish onto the paint. If your pad turns black, you have single stage paint. If not, then you have clear coat.

Can you provide photos of the damaged area?
Sorry for the delay. First pics were too sunny.

Car is dirty but paint doesn't look like it's peeling yet.
<br >
<br > <br >