Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ultra white IS f sport hood smudge/swirl

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 08:12 AM
kennyboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra white IS f sport hood smudge/swirl

Just over 6 months of ownership (brand new). Always touch-less carwash then wipe down with clean microfibre cloth. Recently noticed on the hood a faint dark smudge, area of about 10cm in diameter. Couldn't get it off after washing. It looks like could be road tar and the car wash didn't clean it off and I could have spread it out by wiping it with a cloth. Any solution to this? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-16, 08:30 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

The clay bar is the first place I would turn to.
Old 05-09-16, 09:58 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes def clay bar I plan to do this today, may finally post some detail pics of it. After you get the clay bar done I would do compound and then wax to seal it again.
Old 05-09-16, 10:24 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Touchless car wash will still leave dirt and other contaminants on your car. Using a microfiber after could induce more swirling.
Old 05-09-16, 12:25 PM
kennyboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by popping
Touchless car wash will still leave dirt and other contaminants on your car. Using a microfiber after could induce more swirling.
That's what I have been doing for the past many years, I don't have the luxury / not inclined for handwash/claybar/wax on a regular basis. It has been fine so far on other cars but I guess I was unlucky / not careful this time.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Yes def clay bar I plan to do this today, may finally post some detail pics of it. After you get the clay bar done I would do compound and then wax to seal it again.
Originally Posted by Coleroad
The clay bar is the first place I would turn to.
Thanks for the reco.
Old 05-09-16, 01:57 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyboi
That's what I have been doing for the past many years, I don't have the luxury / not inclined for handwash/claybar/wax on a regular basis. It has been fine so far on other cars but I guess I was unlucky / not careful this time.

Thanks for the reco.
Honestly claying the whole car doesn't take very long.
Old 05-09-16, 03:09 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Honestly claying the whole car doesn't take very long.
But it certainly will increase your chances of introducing clear coat marring. Claying should only be done after the car has been properly cleaned. Like stated before, touchless carwashes just gets rid of surface dirt.

Originally Posted by kennyboi
While wiping down your car, I recommend using a quick detailer. Also you may want to look into "optimum no rinse (ONR)" to wash your car after a standard touchless car wash. You can also dilute the ONR with water to make a very good/high lubricating quick detailer.