Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Spray detailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 07:15 PM
snbohr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray detailer

I tried to search but couldn't find anything. Is there a consenus, or close to, on which is the best after wash spray detailer? I have Meguiars ultimate quik detailer which is nice..but I'm considering trying out Chemical Guys Hyrbrid v7 high gloss spray sealant and detailer or Optimum no rinse wash and shine. Anyone have any thoughts one way or another on these products or one that may be better? I appreciate it. Thanks
Old 04-25-16, 07:31 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I've gone through a LOT of quick detailers throughout the years trying to find my favorite... to be honest, the absolute best I have found for my personal needs is Meguiar's D156 Synthetic Xpress Spray Wax... I believe it is the professional version of Ultimate Quik Detailer.

Product Review: Meguiar’s D156 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax by Zach McGovern

Out of all of the ones I have tested, many have performed great... but the major benefit of D156 to me is ease of use, results, and cost.

After washing the car, I do my final rinse, then when the car is still damp I mist a panel with D156 and then dry it off. Repeating this (mist, then dry) throughout the entire car so I am adding lubrication and protection while drying.

I've also enjoyed D155, but I still prefer D156 if given an option between the two.

Product Review: Meguiar’s Last Touch D155 by Zach McGovern

-Zach
Old 04-25-16, 07:34 PM
snbohr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I've gone through a LOT of quick detailers throughout the years trying to find my favorite... to be honest, the absolute best I have found for my personal needs is Meguiar's D156 Synthetic Xpress Spray Wax... I believe it is the professional version of Ultimate Quik Detailer.

Out of all of the ones I have tested, many have performed great... but the major benefit of D156 to me is ease of use, results, and cost.

After washing the car, I do my final rinse, then when the car is still damp I mist a panel with D156 and then dry it off. Repeating this (mist, then dry) throughout the entire car so I am adding lubrication and protection while drying.

I've also enjoyed D155, but I still prefer D156 if given an option between the two.

-Zach
Thanks for the detailed (no pun) response. I will look into your recommendations. Appreciate it
Old 04-25-16, 07:46 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I too have used quite a few over the years. Meg's QW was awesome, but I found I would go through it quickly.

Now I use Autobody Shop grade stuff [my buddy orders me some]. It's silicone free [safe for paint booth & water based shops] since most traditional ones can ruin paint work if sprayed in the air near the booth...

Check it out if you can get it, comes in a huge 1qt container, smells wicked, and honestly applies nicer than Meg's QW [imo], and the finish is VERY slick.

"Carborundum Detailer"
Old 04-26-16, 10:21 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Meguiar's numbers are always confusing to me but isn't:

D156 is equal to Ultimate Quik Wax
M135 is equal to Ultimate Quik Detailer
D115 is equal to Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere
D155 is Last Touch (dilute it for clay lube or detailer)

I just love the hydrophobic qualities of Ultimate Quik Wax and Ultimate Quik Detailer and they are great for routine maintenance. Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere is great for bug removal. And diluted Last Touch is an inexpensive clay lube and general purpose detailer. .
Old 04-26-16, 10:48 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

^that sounds right... I don't try to keep it all straight... I just learn the #'s for the professional line and leave it at that Already too much junk stored in my brain
Old 04-27-16, 08:07 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My $0.02

During the "dry" season here in SW FL, I often can go several weeks without washing my vehicles. Typically weekly, I use M135 (UQD) to remove light dust and fingerprints then D156 (UQW) to maintain the shine, slickness and protection.

Besides the great performance of these "Professional or Detailer" line products from Meguiar's, I find them an exceptional value, especially when you can find free or discounted shipping when you stock up.

These are some of my "must have" gallon sized Meg's products:

M13501 - Synthetic Spray Detailer (a.k.a. UQD)
D10101 - APC
D11001 - Hyper Wash
D12001 - Glass Cleaner Concentrate
D14901 - Quik Interior Detailer
D17001 - Hyper Dressing
D15601 - Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax (a.k.a. UQW)

Last edited by jfelbab; 04-27-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-27-16, 03:20 PM
ALtin107
Pole Position

I only use Meguiar's products and never had any complaints and finish product is always amazing.
Old 04-27-16, 03:30 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using the Chemical Guys Hyrbrid v7 for a week now and can say that it works really well. Does not require extra elbow grease to take off.

I'm going to try your technique out Zach. I've never thought about doing this. I usually blow off all the excess water and then spray on the quick detailer.
Old 04-27-16, 08:10 PM
TXEDIS350
Driver School Candidate

Anyone ever tried Lucas Slick Mist? I've been using it for a few years and really like the durability and ease of use. It can be used on paint, plastic, rubber and glass. I dry my cars with a Metro Blower then follow up with Slick Mist and a micro fiber towel.
Old 04-28-16, 09:41 AM
NXNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

-Zach
Zach, have you tried Mothers Showtime Instant Detailer? I also have and use Meguiar's Gold Class Quick Detailer. I don't own stock or anything, but the Mothers feels softer & smoother.

But what do I know, an old guy who 10 years ago would use Turtle Wax & 2001 Polish and thought they were the bomb. You do this for a living, and have taught me more in 2 weeks of reading here, comments from you and posters, and getting the Detailed Image Newsletter. Thanks for opening my eyes!

In a different thread I want to ask you about the Liquid Glass I bought and the proper prep over IBEX Paint Protection the dealer put on (a freebee along with the clear bra).... But really, thanks a lot for what you bring to these pages.
Old 04-28-16, 10:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Happy to help.... I have not used the Mother's product so i cannot weigh in on the differences.

Thanks
-Zach
Old 05-03-16, 03:40 AM
Chump408
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trbosmitty
I've been using the Chemical Guys Hyrbrid v7 for a week now and can say that it works really well. Does not require extra elbow grease to take off.

I'm going to try your technique out Zach. I've never thought about doing this. I usually blow off all the excess water and then spray on the quick detailer.

I too have been using the chemical guys v7. This product works so well, makes it easy to spray and wipe off. My only issue with it is that it's $17 for a bottle! Their normal quick detailer is about $9-$10 but the associate over at chemical guys recommended it since it really gives it that glossy look. I'm very satisfied with the product that when I run out I'm going to buy it by the gallon which is $38.

I went ahead and used zachs technique and it makes drying a whole lot easier. Usually I would wipe down with my waffle weave towel and sometimes there would be streak marks. With this technique it made drying an ease in addition to the gloss provided by the hybrid v7. Thanks zach for the advice!
Old 05-03-16, 05:13 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Happy to help... and again I will mention Meguiar's D156 as a great alternative to V7. It is also super easy to use, provides slickness, gloss, protection, and is MUCH cheaper
Old 05-03-16, 06:06 AM
Chump408
Driver School Candidate

I will be purchasing the D156 after reading this thread. I was thinking of using the D156 for after wash and protection and use the V7 as an in between detailer for days when there's light dust on the car. What are your thoughts? I was reading the comments on Amazon about the d156 and they do not recommend to use as a detailer

Quick Reply: Spray detailer