Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Using a leaf blower to dry car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 07:15 PM
Fyrcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a leaf blower to dry car?

The other day, we were driving past an individual who had just washed his car, and was using a small leaf blower to blow the water off his car. I thought that looked like a brilliant idea, and was wondering if anyone here has ever done this? Of course, I would follow up with towels to finish the drying. But for blowing the water out of normally trapped areas that drip after wiping, this might help stop that...any thoughts or concerns?
Old 04-18-16, 07:21 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fyrcat
The other day, we were driving past an individual who had just washed his car, and was using a small leaf blower to blow the water off his car. I thought that looked like a brilliant idea, and was wondering if anyone here has ever done this? Of course, I would follow up with towels to finish the drying. But for blowing the water out of normally trapped areas that drip after wiping, this might help stop that...any thoughts or concerns?
I have been doing it for years. It is an excellent way to dry the car. A little more time consuming but well worth it. It get's water out of places that it normally lays in. It also prevents swirl marks from drying with a towel or even a microfiber towel.
Old 04-18-16, 07:23 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only concern is blowing dirt and debris inside hard to reach areas such as around the doors. Just make sure that the car is really clean and rinsed before using the blower. I have used a leaf blower on occasion and followed with spray detailer and microfiber towels.
Old 04-18-16, 10:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I always use my (cordless) leaf blower. Getting water out of crevices is worth it alone. I finish up with a towel. If your paint beads water, then it works even better.
Old 04-18-16, 10:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Old detailing trick I've used for years. Keeps water from running out of the trunk shut line or mirrors, especially useful on black or dark colored cars. Also a great way to dry the engine off if you cleaned it.
Old 04-19-16, 07:18 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I use a cordless one with regular success.

My two-stroke Homelite's exhaust is directed out through the blower tube, so I don't risk using it to dry the paint because of the oil vapor; but I have used it to dry the wheels and undercarriage.
Old 04-19-16, 11:58 AM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Electric leaf blowers do a fantastic job. I recently upgraded to the Master Blaster as I'm looking to start my own side detailing business and I can say that its worth its weight in gold. Might be overkill for some.

Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum MB3CD Air force Master Blaster 8-HP Motorcycle Dryer: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum MB3CD Air force Master Blaster 8-HP Motorcycle Dryer: Home Improvement
Old 04-22-16, 11:54 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by trbosmitty
Electric leaf blowers do a fantastic job. I recently upgraded to the Master Blaster as I'm looking to start my own side detailing business and I can say that its worth its weight in gold. Might be overkill for some.

Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum MB3CD Air force Master Blaster 8-HP Motorcycle Dryer: Home Improvement
For those who want a cheaper alternative this is the 4HP version, don;t be fooled by the "motorcycle" as it's more than powerful enough for autos. I've used it on everything from motorcycles to trucks and vans and it works like a charm!

Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum B3-CD Air Force Blaster 10-Amp 4-HP Motorcycle Dryer: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum B3-CD Air Force Blaster 10-Amp 4-HP Motorcycle Dryer: Home Improvement
Old 04-22-16, 12:23 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

... but once you know what 8HP feels like, 4HP is not enough

We have the 8HP Master Blaster, 4HP Commercial Vac N Blo, and Blaster Sidekick. All are awesome tools!
Old 04-22-16, 02:32 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
... but once you know what 8HP feels like, 4HP is not enough

We have the 8HP Master Blaster, 4HP Commercial Vac N Blo, and Blaster Sidekick. All are awesome tools!
Bingo!!

8hp version is worth its weight in gold! Especially in Las Vegas where i have to get the water off the car ASAP after I wash it. Otherwise I'm wrestling with water spots.
Attached Thumbnails Using a leaf blower to dry car?-img_0128.jpg   Using a leaf blower to dry car?-img_0127.jpg  
Old 04-23-16, 05:49 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default I can't believe I've never used forced air to dry my cars before.

When I read another thread on this in the RCF forum, I rushed out and got the EGO leaf blower at Home Depot (caught the $99 sale) and it's cut my car washing time in half not to mention no more swirls! Works especially well if the car is coated or freshly waxed.

Found an updated 8HP Master Blaster with front swivel wheels and includes a 30' hose.
Amazon.com: JUST INTRODUCED! Air Force Master Blaster Revolution with 30' Hose MB-3CDSWB-30 MB-3CD SWB: Automotive Amazon.com: JUST INTRODUCED! Air Force Master Blaster Revolution with 30' Hose MB-3CDSWB-30 MB-3CD SWB: Automotive
Old 04-24-16, 04:06 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

my metro blaster sidekick is enough... leaf blower kicks up lots of dirt that you do not see. my little sidekick does not. she is in ICU right now, have to get her fixed.
Old 04-24-16, 05:40 PM
Fyrcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased the sidekick and the 3' hose attatchment...it's awesome! I loved drying my NX fsport, especially the grill!
Old 05-01-16, 12:00 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use my electric leaf blower to remove light, fluffy snow (doesn't work so well with "heavy" snow having a high water content). I bring out a 5' stepladder and start on the roof and work my way down. Works very well for snow up to several inches deep. And I don't risk scratches by using a snow brush with nylon bristles.

Last edited by Macs4RX; 05-09-16 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Clarified post
Old 05-02-16, 10:12 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I was already thinking about a cordless leaf blower to dry the cars, but I can't get past worrying about what I might blow into the paint. Plus, aren't they awkward when you're doing the roof? Especially on an SUV! Given both of these thoughts, I started to think about a SideKick. Small and light, and all you have to lift to do the roof is the hose. Plus, it filters the air. Does it move enough air?

Quick Reply: Using a leaf blower to dry car?