Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Using a leaf blower to dry car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 10:39 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The Metro Blaster Sidekick is a great tool to have, but in my opinion is not at all suited for drying an entire vehicle. It is perfect for blowing water from cracks & crevices, around mirrors, around door handles, around emblems, around grilles, and for wheels & tires.... but I would never try to use it for an entire car. It just isn't powerful enough... then again I personally don't think most leaf blowers are ideal either. The Master Blaster is the best option for drying an entire car.

-Zach
Old 05-02-16, 11:00 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I was already thinking about a cordless leaf blower to dry the cars, but I can't get past worrying about what I might blow into the paint. Plus, aren't they awkward when you're doing the roof? Especially on an SUV! Given both of these thoughts, I started to think about a SideKick. Small and light, and all you have to lift to do the roof is the hose. Plus, it filters the air. Does it move enough air?
Way to expensive for me. I will stick with my electric leaf blower. It works fine. I never have a problem with any debris getting on the paint.
Old 05-02-16, 02:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

A powerful cordless leaf blower is heavy but you learn to maneuver it. I usually remove my extension tube since it still works fine without it. Debris is not an issue since you're shooting straight at the panel. The dust on the ground would have already been wet so they're not going to kick up in the air. It helps tremendously if your paint beads water (I can get 90-95% of the water off).
Old 05-08-16, 05:51 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
When I read another thread on this in the RCF forum, I rushed out and got the EGO leaf blower at Home Depot (caught the $99 sale) and it's cut my car washing time in half not to mention no more swirls! Works especially well if the car is coated or freshly waxed.

Found an updated 8HP Master Blaster with front swivel wheels and includes a 30' hose.
Amazon.com: JUST INTRODUCED! Air Force Master Blaster Revolution with 30' Hose MB-3CDSWB-30 MB-3CD SWB: Automotive
i can't believe i'm reading this! i missed that sale by a few hours and still think about it everyday! i ended up a display model of the newer model for $50 more though so that softened the blow. i heard some people lucked out and got the new one for the same $99 price. the thing is amazing huh? i returned 20v sweepers and blowers for this thing.
Old 11-05-16, 11:59 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

So I just found out about this new Cordless EGO blower http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-110-m...5302/206584690

Should I use this to dry my brand new 2016 Lexus? or would it scratch the paint cuase of the dust blowing?

The reason I have to go with this Cordless blower is because I don't have access to a power outlet since I live in an apartment. So everytime I wash my car I have to go to a DIY Carwash, so do you guys think I should get this Cordless Leaf Blower to dry the car at the car wash place?

If I have access to a power outlet I would buy the AirForce Blaster https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...+force+blaster
Old 11-06-16, 06:01 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Sure. Leaf blowers don't make the car perfect. Still have to open the doors and lids and get the drops of what it can't. Still need to go back and detail spritz the car to make it perfect but it's much "healthier" to use a leaf blower than to wipe the whole thing dry with rags.
Old 11-06-16, 08:05 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Sure. Leaf blowers don't make the car perfect. Still have to open the doors and lids and get the drops of what it can't. Still need to go back and detail spritz the car to make it perfect but it's much "healthier" to use a leaf blower than to wipe the whole thing dry with rags.
But does a Leaf Blower scratch the paint since it sucking air / dust in and spit them out? Like for anyone that has been drying their car with Leaf Blower, did you have any problem with scratch ? thx.
Old 11-06-16, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
But does a Leaf Blower scratch the paint since it sucking air / dust in and spit them out? Like for anyone that has been drying their car with Leaf Blower, did you have any problem with scratch ? thx.
Absolutely not.
Old 11-06-16, 09:16 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Never gotten a scratch from using a leafblower. It's almost impossible unless you're drying your car in the middle of a sandstorm.

Many times I thought about buying a master blaster, but it would defeat the purpose of using a leaf blower (no cords), plus the difference in drying time is negligible for me.
Old 11-06-16, 10:15 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The only issue with a leaf blower is the sound honestly. Having to hold it up above your waistline can get tiring. Just need to be careful to not hit the car with the end of the tube. No scratches from dust.
Old 11-06-16, 10:32 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

That's great to hear guys and thank you for all the good feedbacks. I'm going to HomeDepot to pick up the EGO LB5302 blower later today.
Old 11-06-16, 01:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That cordless electric leaf blower would be the ideal tool. I've used a corded leaf blower in the past, I was always a bit hesitant about using the thing since you're dragging a cord on wet/damp ground where you just washed the car. The main thing was the place where I detailed cars did have good drainage, if there was standing water after I was done I wouldn't have used an electric blower or shop vac.
Old 11-06-16, 03:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^I push any standing water aside with a broom. Problem solved.

I've been using Toro electric leaf blower for 15 years without any issues. They usually last 4-5 years. I picked this one up a few years ago for $24 on clearance at Home Depot. It's half the weight of the 250 MPH blower I had before and pretty cheap at $35. On the downside, it's less powerful with only two speeds. But the sheeting method reduces the amount of water that much more.
Old 11-06-16, 03:20 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I use a gelly blade and micro fiber towels to get most of the water off.

The leaf blower comes in last, but helps a lot with the trunk, door jams front bumper air ducts and emblems.
Old 11-06-16, 10:42 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
Just spray the ground all around the car before you start blowing. Any loose dirt should be stuck to the ground when its wet, so that reduces the chance you'll blow dirt on to the paint

Quick Reply: Using a leaf blower to dry car?