Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best wax for the black car

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 07:56 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Best wax for the black car

I picked up Obsidian Black RX yesterday, CPO, lease return so the original owner did not a good job looking after the car ( detail wise). Has no scratches what so ever but i guess he or she would go through automated car wash so it did its damage, paint is not as rich as i would wan it to be,it needs a good waxing, car was returned in the morning and i picked it up in the afternoon, so they didnt do a great detailing job. I have a day off on tuesday and would like to take care of it. It has been a while since i had a black car and i dont remember what wax product i used to use in order to keep the car looking rich in color and sparkle. Can someone suggest a good product that will do a great job, giving the car a rich color, i have time to do it so it does not have to be one of those quick waxes that you just spray and wipe off in a second.

TIA
Old 04-17-16, 08:17 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I use Glare products. I've been working on my Stargazer black RX today and couldn't be happier with the product.
There are so many products that people will recommend you'll have to make up your own mind. If you want to do your car right plan on spending several days repairing the paint. Restoring black paint on any car is not an afternoon job. I purchased the Winners Circle kit for mine, I think I paid about a $100.00 for 4 bottles of product.
Have fun with black, it's constant maintenance to keep looking good.

Glare.com
Old 04-18-16, 04:49 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like your car needs more than just a wax. I suspect your car needs to have the paint clayed and polished first. Depending on your ambition/time/tools, you have many options. If you want fast and easy an All-in-One product might do. If you want good results you might use a hand polish and a sealant or wax. If you want it to dazzle, you likely will need to use a DA polisher with better polishes/pads and follow with a sealant or wax.

If you have had black cars before, what look did you prefer, the wrapped in plastic wrap look of a sealant or the deep glow of a carnauba?

Personally I don't care for coatings but many love them. I use a sealant (Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax) on my daily driver and a carnauba wax (M26 High Tech Yellow wax) on my garage queen. There are hundreds of wax and sealant choices. I also follow every wash with D156 (Ultimate Quik Wax Spray) to keep it looking good in-between details.

For polishing paint I like the Meguiar's M105/M205 combo with a DA polisher and some polishing and finishing pads but again there are a myriad of choices. Find the products you like.
Old 04-18-16, 05:44 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Please search for existing threads before creating new ones... there is an existing thread with an identical title that already has plenty of good info:

Best Wax for Black Car

Thanks