Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Obsidian Black very touchy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 05:58 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

GL, been there... anything that comes into contact with that OB paint will indeed scratch it. my former 2013 GS F Sport was a full time job.loved it, but keeping it clean and scratch/swirl free was a PITA... every car after that was white.

Name:  IMG_0176_zpsf089a77c.jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  103.0 KB
Old 04-02-16, 06:09 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
GL, been there... anything that comes into contact with that OB paint will indeed scratch it. my former 2013 GS F Sport was a full time job.loved it, but keeping it clean and scratch/swirl free was a PITA... every car after that was white.

First off that car is hot! But I'm still confused. Why is the OB paint so "touchy" and anything that touches it will scratch it. From what I understand Lexus uses the exact same clear coat for every color paint. So given that wouldn't all the cars scratch that easily? I can see how white would show less scratches but wouldn't all the other dark colors show them?
Old 04-02-16, 06:23 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Lexus black is FAR from the worst jet black to work on. It's actually a piece of cake and extremely easy to do. It doesn't hold up well over time, but it's not a difficult paint to work with.
Old 04-03-16, 11:16 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
First off that car is hot! But I'm still confused. Why is the OB paint so "touchy" and anything that touches it will scratch it. From what I understand Lexus uses the exact same clear coat for every color paint. So given that wouldn't all the cars scratch that easily? I can see how white would show less scratches but wouldn't all the other dark colors show them?
Even if the clear coat is identical, and the curing process is identical, jet black is simply the easiest to spot superficial defects... no matter how tiny. This is why it is so difficult to maintain any jet black vehicle.

Though, being a detailer who specializes in paint correction, we naturally see a lot of Jet black vehicles... and they are not all the same. Some paints are softer/easier to mar (more difficult to polish) than others.
Old 04-04-16, 11:32 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

All colors are easily damaged. Jet black provides the most "pure" reflection, so all the scratches are easily highlighted. I believe all the other dark lexus colors have a metallic or pearl in the paint which slightly distorts the reflection making scratches less visible even though they still exist.
Old 04-04-16, 01:05 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

That's exactly my point, the paint used is identical across the board. Jet black is no more "touchy" or "softer" or "easier" to scratch. It just shows more defects than lighter colors. Thanks for the confirmation guys.

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 04-04-16 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-05-16, 07:44 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

thanx Doc, but i no longer own this Gem... saw a 2013 SP LS460 and lost my damn mind... It is called the Curse of the Lexus paint. anyone who has owned an OB, DSM, or any dark color Lexus has had to deal with this problem... however the OB is so ridiculously soft. it is a love hate relationship.... i have had coatings applied to every car i have had after that OB GS F Sport. i keep a ton of protection on my cars now...