Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Question for XPEL owners, to fix or remove?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 01:46 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for XPEL owners, to fix or remove?

I have 98 gs with stock HIDs. Over the last service Seramonte dealer installed XPEL on my fogs, and both lights. My lights were scratched a lot and one of the lights was newer, as it was replaced a year ago.

The visual results: Both lights do look equally newer and brighter during the day, looking at them from the distance.

The performance results (problem):
1. After three weeks of installation, the lights still do look fogy when they are on.
2. There is a weird prismatic-rainbow affect. Before I was seeing the flat plain spot of light in front of the car, now I see a bunch of spots of the light in front of the car. Not only that, I also see the light in the air before it hits the ground (if you point your lights at the mist which sprinklers create, you see the same effect).
3. It seems to be that the light is magnified in some areas and the angle of the light had changed as well.

My lights are not as bright as on the newer cars, maybe it is time to change the battery.
Please tell me if you experience the same effects. The way it looks is really pisses my off.
If nothing can be done about it, I'm ready to remove the XPEL from my lights. Any suggestions how to remove XPEL safely?
What is wrong with my XPEL?
Old 04-24-03, 03:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

um.... that's very weird.... probably the dealer didn't push out all the liquid when they installed it? when i first did it on my acura, i didn't push out all liquid and it took more than a month to dry everything. i did a good job on my gs and it's been perfect since day one. i guess you can still feel the "uneven" surface on the headlight?

i woudl probably give it a bit more wait to see if they go away. if you wanna pull them off, use hair dryer or heat gun to soften it up

if you need new xpel kits, let me know
Old 04-24-03, 05:38 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey rominl, do you have connect for the Xpel? I was going to have a custom job but its too late now. A month after I had it fixed and repaint, my front end is mess up again....I think I need to get it repaint again and this time Xpel for sure.
Old 04-24-03, 08:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GSXOTIC
Hey rominl, do you have connect for the Xpel? I was going to have a custom job but its too late now. A month after I had it fixed and repaint, my front end is mess up again....I think I need to get it repaint again and this time Xpel for sure.
check pm
Old 04-24-03, 09:18 PM
diamondgs4
Driver

Hi Rominl,
I installed my Xpel kit two and half years ago.
(it was my first time with Xpel)
My two headlite Xpel have few ugly bobles at each corner.
I am thinking of replace them with two new bigger headllite Xpel only.
Both two small inner headlites Xpel are still OK.
Can you help me to get a pair of Xpel for the both outter piece for me ?
Do I have to buy the whole set ?

PM me if you have an idea how much they will cost me.
Thanks,
Old 04-24-03, 09:45 PM
kdubb
Rookie

what is this Xpel ?
Old 04-24-03, 09:58 PM
diamondgs4
Driver

Kdubb,
Xpel is a headlight proection (3M UV rated) film product.
It covers the headlight and keep them away from chipps & cracks.
It is tranparently clear and will not block the lite beam.
Some user claims it will give out an outstanding rich looking
light effect at night time.

To me, its strickly an expandable film.
Old 04-24-03, 11:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup, what he said. i cracked the lens on my acura, replaced the light, put on the xpel, nothing ever since. plus my headlights are all so freaking shiny and people always ask me how i keep them that way
Old 04-25-03, 04:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts

Hey Henry,

I just did my last mods for this year (I think) and had the TTE front chin lip spoiler painted and installed, TRD Front STB and Cusco Rear STB. I also wanted the body shop guy to put on my XPEL kit, but after seeing how thick the film is, he said he would not be able to put it on at the risk of screwing it up.

Not sure what to do now. It appears as if you have put yours on yourself. Can you give me some tips on installation as I think I will have to put them on myself and I am concerned that I will screw it up.........

Thanks!
Old 04-25-03, 09:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

huh?! thick?! that's interesting, he's not mixing up the headlight piece and the piece for the body right? i know the headlight piece is pretty thick, maybe 2mm or so. but the one for body it's so thin (can't even measure, haha) that after you put them up you shoudln't even be able to see them easily. and since it's so thin it's actually a lot easier to put on

i have done couple of headlight xpel, and i will be putting xpel on my is3 soon
Old 04-25-03, 09:28 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by rominl
huh?! thick?! that's interesting, he's not mixing up the headlight piece and the piece for the body right? i know the headlight piece is pretty thick, maybe 2mm or so. but the one for body it's so thin (can't even measure, haha) that after you put them up you shoudln't even be able to see them easily. and since it's so thin it's actually a lot easier to put on

i have done couple of headlight xpel, and i will be putting xpel on my is3 soon
Sorry for the confusion - I meant xpel for the lights.

Any tips you can give me so that I can do the install myself?
Old 04-25-03, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Hameed
Sorry for the confusion - I meant xpel for the lights.

Any tips you can give me so that I can do the install myself?
sure, actually go to xpel.com, they have sample instruction and they used gs coz' GS is one of the hardest car to work on my experience? make sure you have two people doing it, TONS of patience and give it PLENTY of time.
Old 04-26-03, 01:11 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also go to xpel.com and request an instructional video. They go through the install of both body and headlights on a BMW 3.
Old 04-26-03, 04:42 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by rominl
sure, actually go to xpel.com, they have sample instruction and they used gs coz' GS is one of the hardest car to work on my experience? make sure you have two people doing it, TONS of patience and give it PLENTY of time.
Thanks! Will do that and let you all know how it went.
Old 04-26-03, 07:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
You can also go to xpel.com and request an instructional video. They go through the install of both body and headlights on a BMW 3.
yup i have the video, but it's only for the body. for headlight they just have pics, etc...

Quick Reply: Question for XPEL owners, to fix or remove?