Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

When to Install Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-16, 06:54 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Default When to Install Clear Bra?

I'm taking delivery of a new 2015 RC-F this week. Should I have my detailer do the new car prep (paint protection, etc.) and then install the clear bra, or just get the clear bra installed now and detail later? The car has 55 miles. Thanks!
Old 03-03-16, 08:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi Cody - first, make sure your dealer knows not to wash, detail, or prep the car in any way (sounds like youve got that covered, but always worth mentioning)

If possible, it is preferred to have the clear bra installed on bare paint without any waxes, sealants, or coatings applied beneath it.

It sounds like your detailer does not also install the PPF, correct? 2 different shops?

If so, I would do this....

Option 1 - Have the detailer meet you at the PPF shop to inspect the paint (or go to the detail shop if that is what they insist). Have them thoroughly inspect the areas that are going to be wrapped in clear bra to see if there are any scratches, swirl marks, or other defects that need to be corrected. If so, have him correct the paint. Then have the clear bra installed. Then have the detailer complete the new car prep & paint protection services after the clear bra has had enough time to set (I think typically 4-7 days?).

Option 2 - Have the detailer complete the new car prep and apply paint protection to all areas except what will be coated in PPF. Then have the PPF installer do their work. Then bring it back to the detailer to clean up any mess the PPF team left as the process involves spraying soapy solution all over the car and can be a little messy.

Consult your detailer for more ideas!

That is my recommendation!

-Zach
Old 03-03-16, 09:26 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Hi Cody - first, make sure your dealer knows not to wash, detail, or prep the car in any way (sounds like youve got that covered, but always worth mentioning)

If possible, it is preferred to have the clear bra installed on bare paint without any waxes, sealants, or coatings applied beneath it.

It sounds like your detailer does not also install the PPF, correct? 2 different shops?

Option 1 - Have the detailer meet you at the PPF shop to inspect the paint (or go to the detail shop if that is what they insist). Have them thoroughly inspect the areas that are going to be wrapped in clear bra to see if there are any scratches, swirl marks, or other defects that need to be corrected. If so, have him correct the paint. Then have the clear bra installed. Then have the detailer complete the new car prep & paint protection services after the clear bra has had enough time to set (I think typically 4-7 days?).

Option 2 - Have the detailer complete the new car prep and apply paint protection to all areas except what will be coated in PPF. Then have the PPF installer do their work. Then bring it back to the detailer to clean up any mess the PPF team left as the process involves spraying soapy solution all over the car and can be a little messy.

-Zach
Awesome advice Zach - thank you! The dealer actually has an installer that will be installing the PPF - Xpel Ultimate. I've seen his work and he's very good. I'm sure the car has been washed - it's got 50 miles on it, and traveled from Idaho to Arizona on an open air trailer. I've inspected the car and the paint looks very good - it sat in the Idaho dealer's showroom most of the time. Hence, I'm going have the dealer install the PPF and then take it in for all the waxing, coatings, etc. Does that make sense?

P.s. I wish you were in Arizona; I've seen your work and it's flawless. Can I fly you out for a detail job?
Old 03-03-16, 10:06 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Ha, thanks for the flattering words Cody.

I don't want to sound too negative... but in my years of detailing, I have never seen a car that has been washed by a dealer and was not at least a little bit scratched up. Even at my own Lexus dealer, the cars on the showroom floor just look awful to me. I'd still recommend contacting your detailer to have him inspect it prior to applying the clear bra - better safe than sorry, but perhaps I am overly cautious

Edit: what color is the car?

-Zach
Old 03-03-16, 10:15 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Ha, thanks for the flattering words Cody.

I don't want to sound too negative... but in my years of detailing, I have never seen a car that has been washed by a dealer and was not at least a little bit scratched up. Even at my own Lexus dealer, the cars on the showroom floor just look awful to me. I'd still recommend contacting your detailer to have him inspect it prior to applying the clear bra - better safe than sorry, but perhaps I am overly cautious

Edit: what color is the car?

-Zach
The problem is he's out of state until Monday, and I want to get it done before I start driving the car around. It's ultra white; if it was obsidian, I'd be a LOT more worried.
Old 03-03-16, 12:20 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Ah, yes... ultra white is nice... in that case if it pasts your visual tests, just get it wrapped in xpel now and get it to your detailer afterwards!

Oh yeah.... post some pics too!!

-Zach
Old 03-03-16, 12:33 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Ah, yes... ultra white is nice... in that case if it pasts your visual tests, just get it wrapped in xpel now and get it to your detailer afterwards!

Oh yeah.... post some pics too!!

-Zach
Thanks brotha - will do! And keep posting all your detailing tips and tricks - we appreciate them
Old 03-03-16, 07:11 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

-Zach
I beg to differ ---- some PPF installers prefer to put a wax or sealant on the paint prior to film installation because it makes the film lay down smoother.

Besides, for coatings, I had success with Polish Angel Cosmic with Polish Angel Invincible 9H primer applied before PPF installation. In fact, I asked the detailer/Canadian distributor who sells Polish Angel stuff and he said he puts Polish Angel Cosmic before PPF for his car.

http://www.polishangel.us/collection...mic-9h-coating

Polish Angel markets Cosmic as a glass coating. It has silica (SiO) and titania (TiO) in it. Some considers it as a long lasting sealant, though. On the other hand, by just reading on other forums, Gtechniq stuff won't work below PPF.
Old 03-04-16, 05:21 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

My suggestions were only an echo of the manufacturer's exact words, but perhaps I should have been more clear as I know spray waxes are often used on the surface prior to film application.

Here is the answer from Xpel...

Originally Posted by Xpel FAQ
Can/should Opti-Coat or similar coating be applied to the car before the film is installed?
We do NOT recommend applying sealants such as Opti-Coat or cQuartz to the parts of the car that will be covered with film. The low surface energy of paint sealant products such as these will cause adhesion problems both during installation and over the life of the product. In addition, it is worth noting that there is really no benefit to applying sealant to the paint before the film anyway, since the film will provide far more environmental protection to the paint than a sealant ever could.
While I have personally never seen an issue arise from having a coating applied beneath PPF, I think it is always best to follow manufacturer recommendations in this situation.

-Zach
Old 03-04-16, 05:41 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My suggestions were only an echo of the manufacturer's exact words, but perhaps I should have been more clear as I know spray waxes are often used on the surface prior to film application.

While I have personally never seen an issue arise from having a coating applied beneath PPF, I think it is always best to follow manufacturer recommendations in this situation.

-Zach
Agreed -- From a practical point of view, there is really no point in coating the surface with sealant/coating prior to PPF installation as the film already blocks the harmful elements. It is just me being a perfectionist to ensure all paint surfaces are protected, in case if the film needs to removed and mar the paint accidentally.

Good to know Cquartz won't work below PPF. :thumb up: On the other hand, the chemistry of Polish Angel Cosmic is different than other silica-based coating as it also contains traces of carnauba.
Old 03-04-16, 07:05 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

-Zach
Thanks for putting my OCD to rest! Getting Xpel installed today.

Now, does anyone have any recommendations for safely removing the rear bumper applique?
Old 03-04-16, 07:33 AM
rustyd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CodyJames
I'm taking delivery of a new 2015 RC-F this week. Should I have my detailer do the new car prep (paint protection, etc.) and then install the clear bra, or just get the clear bra installed now and detail later? The car has 55 miles. Thanks!
I would skip and not pay the dealer for the paint protection. Find a Detailer that does the PPF, let them do that and detail the car and apply the coating/sealant or your choice of finishes. Then you will know its done right.
Old 03-04-16, 08:33 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rustyd
I would skip and not pay the dealer for the paint protection. Find a Detailer that does the PPF, let them do that and detail the car and apply the coating/sealant or your choice of finishes. Then you will know its done right.
Normally I'd do just that, but this will be my second RC-F from this dealer, and the quality of the install of the PPF on my first RC-F was flawless.
Old 03-18-16, 03:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

i just had my suntek clear bra installed on Wednesday... he left a few scratches on the hood from washing the front end prior to install.. its bound to happen to get a few scratches here and there..