Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Small Nick & Rust Spot

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 07:27 PM
twotogo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Nick & Rust Spot

Good evening all,

I tried a quick search but I can't seem to find any direct answers to my question. I just noticed a small nick in the paint on the liftgate of my RX that is rusty as well. I'm not sure how long its been there but does anyone have recommendations on how to take care of this? Is it enough to just clean and dry the area and hit it with touch up paint? Or is there a better solution I'm not thinking of? I tried to capture it in the picture below (spot above the R)
Old 02-10-16, 09:48 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You need to sand that spot to open it up and add some type of rust converter then you can add your matching touch up paint.
Old 02-13-16, 06:00 AM
twotogo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
You need to sand that spot to open it up and add some type of rust converter then you can add your matching touch up paint.
This seems easy enough to do, but I'd hate to do it incorrectly to my new car and turn a small spot into a big headache. Any idea on what a detail shop or body shop may charge to fix this?
Old 02-13-16, 07:41 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks like the rust is bubbling the paint. Take it to a body shop. It's difficult to say how much it will cost considering different body shops may treat the spot differently.
Old 02-13-16, 05:49 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Okay if it was me I'd use 1.5" blue tape and box off a tiny little square just to the edges of the bumps. Then I'd use a dental tool to poke and scrape the loose rust off. Next I'd only use a tooth pick to dab on the rust converter and then my touch up paint after it's try with a real tiny brush. That way you can't make it and worse than it already is.