Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Brake Dust and Wheel Cleaner Product?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 10:49 AM
lexusplz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Dust and Wheel Cleaner Product?

I don't know where to post this, but it's related to brake dust.

Have anyone used this wheel cleaner before on their IS 200T/250/350 2014+? What are the results? It doesn't leave stains or damages the rims right?
Amazon.com: Meguiar's G9524 Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner - 24 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's G9524 Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner - 24 oz.: Automotive

To be specific, on 18" Mesh rims:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...813f644ddf.jpg
Old 01-26-16, 07:29 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 818 Likes on 400 Posts

I'm using Sonax wheels cleaner and this stuff works wonders. I even used it on dipped wheels without any problems!
Old 01-26-16, 01:54 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ I use Sonax as well, but only for when I do a full thorough detail, not for maintenance washes.

You shoud really apply a sealant to the wheels for more protection and easier maintanance after you perform a thorough detailing (ie using a product like Sonax). For this, I typically use CarPro Hydro2 or Blackfire Crystal Seal. After application of a sealant, you only need to wash the wheels with the same shampoo you wash your paint with. It really does make a world of difference.
Old 01-26-16, 07:02 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

sonax and kenotek have good wheel cleaners... why not just apply a coating to your wheels? i have Opti coat 2.0 on my wheels. applied it years ago, all i do now is rinse and clean with a wheel woolie and i'm done. majority of the brake dust ( not much anyway ) comes off with the rinse...
Old 01-26-16, 09:16 PM
wnguyen350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use ironx. After you clean it you should use a sealant to coat the wheel so it would be easier to clean. I coated my wheels with ceramic pro!
Old 01-27-16, 06:13 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pick up the

Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus
Nanolex Wheel Cleaner and Iron Remover
Old 02-09-16, 07:12 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I use Poorboy's ph balanced wheel cleaner and brushes that go inside the spokes. Together with pressure washing, the wheels come out really clean.
Old 02-09-16, 07:16 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Lexus brake dust is easy (unless your car has the bigger 6 piston Brembos). German cars are a pita because most people almost never clean their wheels aside from your typical "car wash" wheel cleaning at the gas station. Once the brake dust has embedded itself for years, it becomes tough to remove.

My favorite is iron-x or, Optimum Ferrex (actually stopped using IronX because it smells like sht and Ferrex seems like it sticks and works better, but it is more pricy).

Brake-Off is my favorite "strong" cleaner. Usually only use it on silver painted wheels, but I suppose any color wheel is safe as long as it's not exposed bare metal, then Brake Off will destroy it in a hurry.
Old 02-09-16, 07:23 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

A good brake cleaner and pressure washer is the key IMO. I've tried to get these wheels clean with just the brushes and the pressure washer and they didn't come as clean.
Old 02-12-16, 01:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I personally like using Meguairs DUBS wheel cleaner. You get 22oz of product for $9 and they're at your local Walmart store. The only con is you have to walk through Walmart. Very good value though it does stink. Spray pattern is not is nice but it gets the job done.
Old 03-14-16, 07:53 PM
mx5mike
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I use sonar all wheel cleaner on a regular basis, every few washes. every wash I use a Daytona wheel brush to get the barrels. I also pull the wheels every major detail; iron X the wheels, clay bar the wheels and use poorboys wheel sealant and deep clean the tires with simple green and dress them with Griots rubber dressing. keeps the wheels glossy, and like new and especially easy to keep clean.
Old 03-15-16, 11:58 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Sonax sure is expensive to use though. Works well but expect to drop $3-4 a wash depending on your wheel size and style.
Old 03-15-16, 12:57 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

If your wheels are properly maintained, a dedicated wheel cleaner is rarely needed. Soap and water is usually all you need... heck, even a pressure washer will take care of 90% of most of the build up before you even use a chemical.
Old 03-15-16, 01:02 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
If your wheels are properly maintained, a dedicated wheel cleaner is rarely needed. Soap and water is usually all you need... heck, even a pressure washer will take care of 90% of most of the build up before you even use a chemical.
But doesn't Sonax need to be applied on a dry wheel?
Old 03-15-16, 04:50 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

No - we've used it on customer vehicles for years after pressure washing. It doesn't cling as long on a wet wheel, but it still works very well.

... but when I said use a chemical after pressure washing, I just meant soap. As in if you clean your wheels regularly, you wont need a heavy duty wheel cleaner... just soap and water, and perhaps a pressure wash if they're a little dirtier than normal.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust and Wheel Cleaner Product?